Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

That’s what I’ve been trying to tell the angry Worgen, but they’d rather spread false information. :woman_shrugging:

Nice ad hom, Rhielle. Pretty sure you and anyone that even states Overwolf is a good company in the first place and think’s it’s okay to use are the ones spreading false information.

If addon authors actually cared about the game and the players they wouldn’t stand behind such a company.

That’s a ridiculous opinion. Being an opinion, it is neither correct or incorrect. It is ridiculous. By that logic, if addon authors cared about the game, they wouldn’t write any addons for WoW because, clearly, Blizzard is not a good company.

Do you see the problem with what you said?

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware that WoW devs could take the game they made, WoW, and any part of it and move it onto another company website and actually have nothing to do with it like addon authors can choose to do so?

Nice try at a gotcha, but I guess I’ll reverse that onto you. Typical addon dev.

It always intrigues me when some addon dev gets linked to these things on the forums - and despite not posting on the forums for years comes in to try to defend a company and talk about how nice it is - because they put more money in their pocket. Especially one that already stated they don’t care about people or the community in their first reply anyways.

1 Like

I don’t understand this. Please clarify, or reword.

I am not interested in a fight. You proceed from a false position.

1 Like

The people who work for Blizzard to work on WoW have no choice how the game is distributed, or by whom. I’m sure many, especially the ones actually effected by bad things occurring at Blizzard would’ve opted for another choice long ago if so.

Addon authors do have that ability, but choose not to and support a company proven to not be the safest, that sells peoples data(and would sell your data if you paid them, but at least you may not get malicious ads.)

Essentially, you’re putting forth the ‘well ACKTHUALLY you participate in society despite pointing out flaws of the society’ in that case. You could just sit there and argue about how ANYTHING you consume, the keyboard you type on, monitor because of the parts, etc means you ‘support’ such things but in reality you look at ethical consumption and who actually has an option to CHANGE anything and what you can opt to support or not.

I’m looking at addon authors to do what they can in this case, which should be a no brainer but you’re stuck on the idea of ‘well actkhually, other people make money for their jobs’ except making an addon which in the WoW Terms of Use cannot be a job anyways because you’re not supposed to monetize it.

1 Like

I don’t recall defending Overwolf in my posts. Or not defending it. I didn’t say one word about the quality of the company. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Also, if a company gives you money, does that automatically make it a bad company? Or does it make the company saintly? Or does it simply mean you get money? I’m willing to bet almost everyone here works for a company that pays them and does shady things.

You came into a thread about Overwolf and the issues it brings with cutting other addon managers out, and talked about how much money you got - IE a positive, without pointing to any negative. So yes, that is essentially what you did. Conveniently, your only post in years here.

People like you are exactly the reason I haven’t posted in years. You think the world owes you something, and you are passive-aggressive, outright aggressive, or rude.

It’s the corporate world. Companies don’t like it when other companies steal from them. If I am going to say one thing about Overwolf, it’s this: good for them blocking Wowup, Ajour, and other updaters. There is no such thing as getting something for nothing.

And if users of addons cared about the addon authors, they would get their addons from Curseforge, Wowinterface, Wago, or TukUI.

But you keep doing you, sir/madam. I’m out for the next few years again, all thanks to people who don’t understand how the world works.

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s you isn’t it? Given your post talking about how you don’t do it for anyone but yourself but you think you should be getting financially compensated for it.

If anyone’s stealing, it’d be Overwolf.

That’s the entire concept of addons, btw.

Nope, because of said addon authors cared about their users or the game they’d be elsewhere~

Says the person that thinks they should get paid for a hobby. One they admittedly only do for themselves and no one else.

1 Like

Never said they were a good company. I don’t use it. Never have. So your assumption is once again spreading false information. Ironic.

Which is exactly what Overwolf is doing to Blizzard. They are profiting off of addons, which is against the TOS. Blizzard should put a stop to it, as they are basically having their intellectual property rights stolen by another company.

2 Likes

For you? Yes, they would. Because when you say, “you and anyone,” that means “you, in addition to anyone.” The word “and” is inclusive to “everyone.”

:woman_facepalming:

And nothing I said was false. You also don’t even know what “gaslighting” means. LOL

0 for 2. Good job!

Moving on now. LOL

1 Like

I just enabled the wagio provder in wowup instead. Happy to support wowup and the addon developers. But curseforge and overwolf can go die in a fire. :fire::fire::fire:

In my day we did… uphill both ways.

We’d also manually install our addons

1 Like

I was just reading, and didn’t intend on replying, but this needs addressing. You are wrong. Totally, absolutely, legally wrong. All addons are the intellectual property of their developers. Blizzard does not own WoW addons any more than apps written with Microsoft Visual Studio are owned by Microsoft. Or books written with Microsoft Word are owned by Microsoft. Or houses designed with AutoCAD are owned by AutoDesk.

Addons are free. None of the hosting sites force users to pay money to download addons, as per Blizzard. The sites generate revenue from ads and users voluntarily signing up for some kind of ad-free experience.

1 Like

QQ, can said addons run without WoW or do they require WoW and it’s API to work? Were they built specifically for WoW, or for some other purpose?

It’s a poor argument to push towards an argument talking about books written with Microsoft Word and such and comparing the two. Pretty sure Microsoft Word doesn’t prevent you from printing, moving it to another app, or anything else.

Maybe Blizzard could make an addition to their ToU and say ads on addon-hosting websites are not allowed and donations are not allowed. Would easily solve the problem~

You truly are damaged, aren’t you? None of what you just said made any sense, logically or legally.

For your first question, if an app is written for Windows, you are assuming that because Windows is a requirement for the app to work, Microsoft owns the app?

For your second question, did you seriously suggest that one company, Blizzard, try to block other companies that they do not own or control?

My advice is for you to stop posting with your 395 posts and amazing 280 achievement points, and actually play the game you are whining about. Oh, and get your GED. Your lack of a high school education is showing.

Don’t the ads on Overwolf actually help add-on makers? I heard (and seen) that it pays the developers of said addons.

If you write something for Windows, and specifically to only work for Windows and it’s API that Windows can choose to break or cut off from said API. Blizzard clearly has control over WoW addons and whether they should be allowed or not, further how was functions from raiderio put into WoW if raiderio owns it and it’s all ‘their property’ how about gearscore, etc?

There is no ‘purpose’ behind owning said addon, and said addon devs couldn’t stop Blizzard if they decided to put said addons into the game outright because said addon devs don’t ‘own’ the intellectual property of said addons in the first place.

Further, you can look into what happened to Rexxcraft and the C&D that happened there, as well as actual addon authors that were told to stop working on addons because Blizzard wasn’t going to allow it.

They control addons and in which ways they can be distributed so yes.

I’m actually an EU poster, and I have a lot more AP and raid/PvP clears than you do. Maybe take your own advice~ Further, it’s pretty funny you don’t know people can restrict what people see on their armory, including AP… As well as being able to restrict third party apps (IE addons and websites) from accessing ones character and account data~

Ah, I’m sorry you’re salty about your own educational experiences and perhaps debt incurred and that’s why you want that Overwolf money so bad.