Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

because single-family zoning is a waste of space… build high-rise flats and you can walk everywhere. or take that underground electric vehicle thing on rails that’s good for climate change. It’s like a Tesla but bigger.

Where else is there to go? Wowinterface isn’t as popular and most people know Curse. They most likely don’t stay because money. They stay because it’s the place everyone knows to go to.

After a patch my advice is different - use and addon loaded addon to create sets of addons. Ones for your usual UI , one for the essential parts of your UI and one for the ones that are working.

Then with your emails you concrete on getting all the essential ones working then work to make your working set the same as your usual UI.

And for the record I’m not necessarily advocating manual updating vs using an addon updater. I was just proposing a way of making the manual process less painful. After a major patch I personally use anaddon updater as the addons will be updating quite often.

They do that, but such things are actually usually quite expensive to live in here. :slight_smile: Wonder why, ah it’s because they can make more money off people in a small flat over a house.

Github. Wowinterface. Wago is starting to move more in that direction, or hey. Tell Overwolf to stop or they will remove their stuff from Curseforge. In fact, most addon authors decided to defend Overwolf instead. I actually stopped giving to addon authors because of that, honestly.

“Download another addon, and create sets but you won’t know which ones are updated patch day and essential and one which ones will not be updated for some time, etc.”

Yes, that’s one of the points and one of the reasons I hate Overwolf. You know for Slands, before it got delayed they planned to shut down use of Twitchapp and make everyone download Overwolf to update for the new expansion? They tried, but thankfully Slands got delayed and that never occured.

the addon developers get most of their money through donations via PayPal/Patron

if you actually wanted to support them 100% you’d donate to them

I’ll just go back to updating manually and cut out the middleman. I try to be a general minimalist with addons anyway, so the only things that must be updated frequently are raid related: Boss Mod and WeakAuras. Everything else I use can survive extremely long periods of time without updates, and won’t break.

I’ll reiterate:

They should read the Terms of Use for addons and understand it’s just a hobby - just like I don’t expect to get paid for playing WoW addon authors shouldn’t be expecting to be getting paid to work on their hobby.

LMK when you want to pay me for the ‘effort and time’ spent replying to you. I used to give to some addon authors, until they stuck behind Overwolf. :slight_smile: In these cases, they should be expecting nothing but be happy for those that choose to donate. Not an expectation. There are a lot of ‘big’ addons that not only run with Overwolf and shame anything else, but take donations, have a Patreon, and in some cases ALSO stream.

1 Like

I actually do. I have patreon subscriptions to several of the addon authors whose addons I feel are integral to my ui and game experience.

If, however, I’m ultimately forced to use overwolf, I’ll be canceling those.

They’re either getting my patreon support, or my ad money, but not both.

I haven’t decided yet how I’m personally going forward with addon management, but patreon support will be a factor :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Having seen a few authors talk about this … Mostly they stick with Curseforge as Curseforge has better tools then Wowinterface.

2 Likes

you’re confusing donations to sales

when you donate you’re giving your money to them and expect nothing in return

they already gave you an addon you can use for free, you are giving them money as a donation to say “thanks for making this addon, heres $10 to get you pizza”

they didn’t ask your $10 first before handing you the addon

I hate to see how you act towards the Salvation Army during the holidays

That makes sense.

Not at all - if said addon authors are EXPECTING donations, or EXPECTING financial compensation in another way then it’s not ‘donations and expect nothing in return’ now is it?

Plus yeah, I do hate the Salvation Army because of their Anti-LGBTQ+ and other awful stances they take and REFUSE to help people if they’re part of the LGBTQ+, etc.

2 Likes

they aren’t expecting anything, its OPTIONAL to donate, cause reasonable and decent people do appreciate a hobbyists work

and you’ll be the one of the first ones to ask for help during a natural disaster, put your politics away

They are, however. They consistently talk about ‘getting paid for their work’. :slight_smile:

Nah, I would be denied help because i’m LGBTQ+ since the Salvation Army is little more than a Christian affiliated organization, specifically, an evangelical organization that works to try to oppress LGBTQ+ rights whenever they can. they went to the Supreme Court to defend their right to not hire, and to fire, anyone with a whiff of gay about them.

1 Like

Knowing which ones updated is literally the purpose behind the emails.

You’ll be using these emails to modify the various sets until you ideally have :

• A set of addons you know work
  • A set of essential parts of your addons. Your intial plan is to keep updating your addons until this set all works
  • A set for your UI pre-patch day. In your frequent updates the plan is to get this set all working.

Yes so, it’s either check your email every x hours to figure out if you got an e-mail for this addon or that addon yet, or go to the page and see if there’s an update. Both ends up yielding the same result. I can see you’re trying to help someone but there’s already a BETTER alternative currently which is addon managers like Wowup. Further, I wonder how well that email method would work when tons of addon authors have different versions of their addon under the same listing. Differentiating between PTR, live, Classic era vs classic tbc, etc.

1 Like

Again I’m not advocating against using an addon updater. In fact after a major patch I recommend it as the addons would be updating too quickly. I was just providing a way to make manual updating less painful.

In fact this was my actual procedure during a patch week

1. Use an addon updater client to update all addons before starting up wow
  2. Load in and see which addons now work and which ones still give me an error
  3. Write down the ones that are not working and disable them from my working set
  4. Test my addons in game to see which ones error again.
  5. Write those ones down
  6. Reload the set of my usual UI , including the broken addons
  7. Note down the errors
  8. To the googles to see if anyone has fixed this error or submitted a ticket on it
  9. If there’s fixes I modify the code. If there’s not I disable them from my working set

During patch week I would do this process before I started wow or even in the middle of playing. Depends on how I feel about how often to update. And yes I would use an addon client to speed up this process given how often I would be doing that process.

Generally I would only update each client on a as needed basis.

PTR , Live , Classic and Classic TBC all have separate clients and hence seperate addon folders. More correctly they have a shared Data folder and separate folders for each client within the Wow folder.

Yes and that’s one of the many points of why Overwolf being the ‘conglomerate’ addon app and forcing everyone else out is bad. Most people don’t want to have to manually check, set up(and give such places your e-mail) for every single addon they have. They want to fire up an app, check to see if there’s any updates, hit update, and go on about what they were doing which they’ve been able to do just fine for many years until Overwolf decided to take over and try to make more money off it than others.

I’m also tired of the overwolf CEO stating “Curseforge can’t be a standalone client, it needs Overwolf to run!” without realizing Curseforge was a standalone client for… many many years.

That is only true for maybe the top half a dozen addons. It is not even remotely true for the vast majority of addon authors.

I have been writing addons for WoW since 2009. My grand total of donations through PayPal and Patreon combined is $0.00.

By comparison, across multiple corporate owners, I have earned about $2000.00 give or take from the Curseforge Author Rewards Program in that time. Now that Overwolf owns Curseforge, my earnings have increased, albeit not by a lot. Given my downloads, it takes me approximately two months to earn $50.00 from the CFARP.

Would I like some donations? Certainly. Do I work on my addons regardless that I have never had a donation? Yes, and updated two addons in the last day alone.

But here’s the vital part: I do not write addons for you, any of you. I write addons for me. They just happen to be publicly available on Curseforge and Wowinterface because I choose to upload them.

5 Likes