Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

Ah, well I have antimalware programs so no issue, I guess? Been using it since the switch with no issues and none of my programs have detected any malware.

Could be that the rumors flared up and people ran with them, but that never happens on the internet. Or not, maybe they’re true, but I haven’t seen anything other than “I heard” so… Guess I’ll keep updating my addons in 5 seconds with a single click.

1 Like

I’ll manually install them before using a program that’s forced on me.

You wouldn’t purposefully infect yourself with a debilitating disease even if you had the cure, would you? Because that’s exactly what you’re saying. The cure (anti-malware) is only there if for some reason you accidentally get infected. It’s a secondary response to the primary of not intentionally getting yourself (computer) infected.

2 Likes

Blizz needs to step in and stop these vultures from profiting off of addons.

5 Likes

tfw clark is right

Not in cash, but in data - and vulnerabilities to your own system. :3

Blizzard now that it’s going to be owned by Microsoft just needs to make their own addons repository and force Overwolf out. Would be hilarious given that they paid for Curseforge and all that.

Too bad most Addon devs are just greedy and looking for money for their hobby and stuck with Overwolf despite overwhelming evidence of both data practices but bad safety practices while they try to bully everyone else out of the market because they have some money to throw around from exploiting people already.

5 Likes

I’m surprised Blizzard never made their own official database for mod submissions. Well not completely surprised they are very incompetent and probably want to monetize addons and claim ownership of them but can’t figure out how to without pissing off the creators

I know it’s well meaning but this suggestion may very well backfire for people.

• The function of the interface number is to denote which version of Wow’s Lua the author acknowledges that their addon works with
  • It’s used with the “Load out of Date addons” option. By disabling this option it’s a quick way to disable the addon that the addon authors haven’t specifically updated their addon for the latest patch
  • It’s doesn’t automatically update any addons. It merely allows them to load without having to use the “Load of date” addons option. The only thing it’ll fix is certain parts of your addons not loading and by doing so cause errors when addons try to access things from addons that weren’t loaded.

Would be faster and easier to go to the addon page for the addon and create a ticket for the addon author. That way it gets fixed in the addon for everyone and not just the people who can figure out how to fix something in someone else’s Lua code.

1 Like

Having been sitting in the room when the addon authors have discussed this in discord … There’s no way that Blizzard could benefit in anyway from doing this ergo they’ll probably realistically never do so.

If they were to benefit from doing this in any way why have they not made their own addon repository ?

1 Like

I exclusively install mods manually. >.>

Add-on managers for WoW are just unnecessary. It takes seconds to do it manually.

Now if we’re talking about Skyrim… MO2 all the way. Too much useful functionality to pass up on.

What legal basis do they have to sue them ?

people in Europe do. because they arent fat.

Unless I’m missing something in my analysis the FTC’s policy on Negative Option Marketing only applies when there’s charges to a consumer and only for goods and services.

Having looked at the various examples given in other places I don’t see how this policy relates to this discussion.

The FTC uses the phrase “negative option marketing” broadly to
refer to a category of commercial transactions in which sellers interpret a customer’s failure to take an affirmative action, either to reject an offer or cancel an agreement, as assent to be charged for goods or services

I’m also not confident on the FTC’s ability to restrict the actions of a Israeli based company that Overwolf is.

Yes I’m sure it has nothing to do with the amount of time needed to get one place from another in the USA compared to any of said Europe countries which driving between said ENTIRE countries is often the same time as driving between one state to the next or less in the USA.

Don’t worry, many countries in Europe are catching up on the rates too.

3 Likes

Then work smarter not harder.

Both Curseforge and Wowinterface (not sure about Wago) allow you to bookmark your various addons. They also offer an option to email you reports of when they update.

You then go through these emails and pick out the essential ones you want to keep updated. This will not be all your addons it’ll be a small subset of them.

Also ? I think a distinction needs to be made with the number of addons installed and the number of folders in your Addons folder. It will not be the same thing - often a single addon will use multiple folders in your addons folder

Some addons use multipart folders in the Addons folder so you’ll need to account for that somehow. Maybe a black list of addon folder names you add to when you download and start using a new addon ?

Also there’s some addons whose name in the addons folder doesn’t match what you search for on the website. You’ll need to account for that too.

Yes I’ll just check notes visit 110 pages every WoW patch and download each one manually, and place them all into the folder after extracting vs what Wowup does now which is one click update all for all versions and it ensures to notify you when something is a different version than what you already have instead of manually checking. Further, please stop multi-posting for every reply and put them all into one post.

Making addons wasn’t, and should never be about ‘making a profit’. It was always a hobby, and they should know this because of the ToU they CANNOT monetize addons. They’re just upset they don’t ‘get enough donations’ and such to live off of like DBM does(Gets way, way too much btw but doesn’t seem to be helping out any other addon authors in the first place. Shocker. Weird how they don’t care about one another isn’t it? It’s all about getting Their money. Hence, overwolf.)

1 Like

200 IQ, this is why you’re MVP and great at your info in customer support forums

they gave a solution and its not even difficult to do

Do I need to record a video of installing addons manually to prove bluspacecow’s point?

your 110 addons are not going to be updated every tuesday thats the point shes trying to get across

1 Like

I didn’t realize that it was so wrong to want some sort of compensation for the time and effort people put into their creations to help others. Especially given all of the crap they get from people who yell at them to get updates out, like this is the creator’s life and nothing else matters.

Not everyone is greedy just because they make addons.

2 Likes

Sure, lets see how long it takes you vs me using wowup on a patch day like say 9.1, 9.2, etc and even more so with pre-expansion patches. Which, generally breaks most addons.

They’re greedy if they’re sticking behind overwolf in this case.