Overused Words

I wasn’t sure what but then I saw your comment. Reminds me how much I dislike a lot of youtubers.

On these forums: Genocide. It’s definitely appropriate for some of the game events that have happened but it’s extrememly overused here and has, at least for me, lost almost all impact that it should have. When it gets used as a verb or adjective is especially annoying to me.

By NPCs in game: HONOR!!! I feel blizz throws this term in way too much and changes its meaning to fit whatever sort of disagreement they want. At this point it’s almost always used as some copout method of creating internal conflict. Either that or to needlessly draw a line between “good fighting/war and bad fighting/war”

IRL: Referring to people by generational grouping. Boomer, zoomer, millennials, etc. Almost always used as a means to just dismiss whatever that person or group has to say without having to actually address it in anyway. IMO it’s super disrespectful and it’s sad that it’s so common for people of all ages to do it these days.

2 Likes

I agree with this. And I see it in all forms of groups.

2 Likes

Heh okay I’m guilty of sometimes mistyping one of those

1 Like

Most of the words already mentioned are cringeworthy - I mean I really do cringe a little and make a face while reading them. Some are never appropriate like ‘snowflake’ & 'Karen’s, others I can live with, and (expect and accept are my brain just switching off for a second when typing).
If ‘literally’ is used correctly I’m okay with it. ‘Hyperbole’ is over used, but sometimes correct.

I have a tendency to write too much before getting to the point. It’s probably annoying to read. But, I am who I am. I usually write how I speak - even my kids think I talk too much & go off on tangents before getting to the point! And then suddenly add something after I’m supposedly done.

So, stopping writing right now. Not gonna add another word :no_mouth:

1 Like

Hash brown and pizza trigger me, I guess. if by trigger you mean “remind me I haven’t eaten today.”

2 Likes

TOXIC so overused. Play sea of thieves with me ill show you what toxic is :slight_smile:

Like, when someone says like every other sentence.

1 Like

THIS is what triggers me. :grimacing: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
than. the word is “than”.
:dizzy_face:

4 Likes

I think people exaggerate the use of them.

2 Likes

Synergy
Paradigm
Disrupt
Articulate
Utilize

Why yes I am a consultant why do you ask?

1 Like

Lol okay you hyperbole using woke triggered elf.

“No” is overused.

Just say yes. :wink:

“Bouji”

Or how ever it’s spelt.

You can never use drink to much. I’m living proof, about 150 proof…hic!

The only word that currently makes me raise a little gnomish eyebrow in suspicion is “authentic” when someone is referring to themselves. Not that is can’t be used without making me whinge but it’s often just a way to people justify being selfish/rude/etc.

“I’m not a narcissist with delusions of grandeur, I’m just being authentic.” - Grumbles co-worker from a couple years ago after being put through a universal translator.

:cookie:

Anyone tells me they’re just being “authentic” they’re getting an authentic Gibbs smack.

2 Likes

90% of the instances in which the word ‘time-gating’ is used. Too often it’s conflated as actually having to expel effort to acquire something.

1 Like

I’m glad you asked, because I have a list that people on these forums use!

Strawman
Gaslighting
Player Agency
Deterministic Gearing
Chekhov’s Gun
Ad hominem

There are more but I just woke up lol

Generally, people on the forums using these terms are either parroting their favorite streamer or YouTuber, or have no idea what the terms mean and are using them to sound intelligent.

1 Like

This and:

• Meta
  • Cringe
  • Equity (for the love of God, leave this word to the banks)
  • Literally
  • Jebaited
  • Gaslight

Phrases:

• “Game Changer” (I want to punch something every time this is said.)
  • “It is what it is” (In other words “I can’t argue with you so I’ll just use this filler phrase”)
  • “Well that’s just your opinion” (No :poop:. I said it so obviously it’s my opinion)
  • “To be honest”, “honestly” and other forms of this phrase (So when you don’t say this you’re being dishonest? Why do you have to announce when you’re honest?)

Thought of another phrase: “You know what I mean?” when it’s used as a filler word.

5 Likes