Opinion on the in-game shop?

i write them off, because the masses of posters replying to their threads have refuted their points.

we don’t need to do a full rehash of all those existing threads.
they’re already there if you want to read them.

if you look through this thread, most people don’t hate it.
the consensus seems to be that as long as the shop doesn’t sell items which provide character gains, people are fine with it.

…and the ones who DO hate it, only do so because an “influencer” told them how to think.

3 Likes

I only buy off the in-game shop with b.net balance I earned with gold. For me, I earned each mount, pet and toy I purchased by playing the game. I could have saved up to buy the Bruto and it’d have been the same thing; spending gold on cool items.

Bring us more toys! More transmogs! I have nothing left to buy.

Agreed they need to add more, especially tansmogs. I only need the stormscale incinerator next. Might wait for a sale but that mount really has the coolest mount special in the game. Might just pull the trigger soon.

Just as i was looking, the thread got flagged.

Way to strip people from their autonomy. If they hate microtransactions, it’s because they let an influencer told them how to think.

Very hypocritical considering you guys are essentially parroting the same stuff that corporations and influencers have said.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-23-microsoft-explains-ryse-microtransactions-theres-nothing-sinister-we-promise

It’s completely optional and is not required in any way shape or form for gameplay. All content is accessible without using it.

Or in other words “You don’t have to buy them”. I was going to also going to add “it’s optional” but he literally said that in the quote, so i removed it.

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/gearandcosmetics/

Remember, these rewards deliver fun in-game cosmetic enhancements and effects, but they do not provide a gameplay advantage.

Or in other words “it’s just cosmetic”.

Oh hey, what’s this? Oh it’s an article that somebody made praises the MTX in Blizzard Games, huh, let’s take a look see.

They already have a working sub model that brings in ~$15 a month. Now they’ve added ‘cool’ stuff to their store — not just cool, but high quality — and placed price tags on them that will generate insane amounts of money. This has to be the best way to make money. They’re being paid by everyone playing and everyone also wants to pay them for cool stuff.

Huh, now gosh. i wonder where i have heard that term “high quality” before?.. Hmm. Let me contemplate under the tree of whoa and use my brain meat here, go on a spiritual journey to find the elusive answer to life’s question of the day here… :thinking:

Oh wait! I know! :point_up: :smiley:

someone probably mentioned it on their stream and told people they need to be outraged.

yeah, pretty much.
there’s no logical reason to hate something which is available to everyone.

i took a look at this link, and while i just skimmed the article, i did flip through some of the comments.
it’s fair to assume that an article will always be biased in one direction or the other.
the writers either want to lift a company up, or tear them down.
however, looking at the comments, the responses seem to be about the same as what they are today.
people don’t really care, as long as the optional items are just cosmetic.

…and 10 years ago when that article was written, the items could ONLY be purchased with money.
there was no battlenet balance which opened the items up to everyone.

In my day people made video games and not online stores pretending to be video games…hic!

2 Likes

back in your day, the internet didn’t exist :stuck_out_tongue:

Just because someone flagged my post does not mean the majority dislike the in-game store. Hopefully Blizzard punishes whoever flagged my post because I’m not violating any rules by having a discussion on how to improve the in-game shop and it’s pretty well known the flagging feature gets abused on the forums.

1 Like

Actually it did exist but mostly in government and university facilities. Outside of that we had dial up BBS systems which arguably were better in ways to the modern Internet and not so much in others. Also there was FidoNET, Compuserve, etc…hic!

1 Like

calm down dinosaur dude.
i was just taking a guesstimate at your age.
don’t make me pull your beard.

i swear to yog i’ll do it!

Still waiting on some skimpy bathing suit like they have on FFXIV cash shop. I wanna show off this goblin skin.

2 Likes

That would be hilarious. My tauren would look so smexy is one of those :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I literally did not say “since it’s flagged because people disliked your opinion” I just said “just as i was looking, the thread got flagged”. I have noticed that the comments here are divisive here on this matter. Because this thread isn’t designed to have a discussion, let’s be honest here. Removing microtransactions, your not flagged because of your opinion or people disagreed with you, (saying people flagged you because they disagreed with you is simply an excuse with no substantive evidence that supports that) your flagged because the way your going about your opinion.

Going back to MTX, you’re also blatantly ignoring or denying why people are against microtransactions (not just in your thread, but in general). And people will think you’re either misinformed, or your trolling.

I’ve yet to hear you explain to me how microtransactions support this game. That’s the question you keep on dodging. Because as i shown with the links on my original comment, as well other links on this topic, microtransactions are nothing but bad for gamers and bad for gaming. The only thing it benefits is businesses because it makes them all of the money.

Nobody, and i repeat again to kill any misconception here, nobody has ever said or implied that “it’s bad for them to make money”. It’s only a problem if they want to implement things like microtransactions or other anti-consumer things. Nobody has a problem with corporations or devs just selling the game, and to say or imply that is just an excuse.

And another thing you seem to forget, but if you’re paying a sub fee, you are supporting the game. just because somebody isn’t buying microtransactions, doesn’t mean their not supporting the game.

Sounds like an excuse that can be used on both sides here.

“Oh hey, my anti-microtransaction post got flagged, somebody prob mentioned it on their stream and told people they need to be outraged. AHA! i know this, because… reasons.”

Apparently if you like microtransactions, you are a logical thinking person. If you hate microtransactions, you are following them influencers and not thinking yourselfs, despite the fact the their is influencers who praise the microtransactions and many of the people who defended the microtransactions seem to be saying the same stuff. :crazy_face: /s

I like how you didn’t even bother to respond or even reference the next thing i’ve said here. Like here i am, with my comment where i admit and explain myself as you call me out for my store items, and yet you won’t ever address this thing here where i called you on that after putting a couple of links here that has the corps saying the same things you’ve said. Like, Nocaniscamemedit… come on. :laughing:

And there you have it. You skim though the full article i’ve linked (for the purposes of verification) and you’re not going to get the full understanding out what the stuff says here. To read, study, or examine superficially and rapidly.

Wait, you defend microtransactions here, but the second i link you an article that defends microtransactions in a way to compare what the article and Twochainz said, you’re calling it biased? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I love how you don’t even acknowledge the people who are against them. Like you do realize anybody can click on that link and find out that people do care about this?

Heck, even some of the comments don’t believe this “it’s just cosmetic” (in different wording possibly) or “it doesn’t effect gameplay” poop back in 2010. How prevalent are microtransactions in 2010 here? … Are those people listen to influencers and don’t think with free will?

What about the people who rightfully outraged with Bethesda’s horse armor back in 2006? … Are those people listen to influencers and don’t think with free will? I mean, is there any microtransactions back then that is known back in 2006 in any of premium priced games that are worthy of mentioning on the scale that is even back in 2013?

https://pay-lobby.com/en/guides-payment/online-payment/microtransactions-in-gaming

First game with microtransactions

Microtransactions first got a large-scale attention in 2006, as Bethesda Softworks released the single player game ‘The Elder Scrolls IV’: Oblivion for PC and Xbox 360. Along came the first controversy. The Horse Armor Pack allowed players to change their in-game steeds’ armor for 200 Microsoft Points on Xbox, which cost 2.50$ or for 1.99$ on PC. The downloadable content’s price outraged fans, who had paid full price for the game, around 60$ at the time.

Sorry buddy, I’m not going to read your entire book on why you think micro-transactions are bad. They’re here to stay so instead of resisting, find ways to make it better.

2 Likes

Wait, why? Lol

Because apparently my lengthy detailed comments took your ability to read now. What an intellectual response. /s

Serious question, why you must admit that? “Oh i’m not going to read what you have said here because it’s too long and i can’t sit down for 5 minutes and read it! It’s too long!!”… yet sit down and tell me over and over and over and over and over that it’s good without never explaining it?

Okay, since you’ve asked then…

The First step would be to take them off the store and put them into different places in game without any RNG involved. Raid Quests, Dungeon Quests, secret puzzles, PvP quests, PvE or PvP vendors, Pet battle tamers, Rares with 100% drops, Achievements, and so on.
The Second would be to remove the real money needed to buy to them.
And Thrid would be to close up shop and announce to players that the mounts and such are ingame and can be earned though just playing the game.

Bam, i have made the microtransactions better in a way that benefits both gamers and the business and it will support the game because of the positive PR this creates. I can see the subs rising from here. :slight_smile:

I didn’t make the post to discuss removing the store or why it’s bad. I made this post to see others opinion on the in-game store, how to improve it and what the community would like to see for future content. The store isn’t going away no matter how much you complain about it.

Well i have told you how to improve it here. Yet you still think i’m complaining.

I gave you improvements here. Here’s the improvements again. Because you told me to find ways to improve it. And… There’s the improvements. Home improvement. :point_down:

Plus the gamers still get the cool mounts for free and the devs will get more money to give more higher quality content in the game, what’s wrong with this improvement here? Don’t you want to support the game like you said?

While I understand you don’t like the in-game shop and want to remove it from the game, it’s simply not going to happen. Blizzard makes a profit off these mounts and it’s the only reason why they make them to begin with. If they didn’t make a profit, these mounts/transmogs/pets/toys wouldn’t be in the game.

It’s business and as long as people like myself are willing to pay for them, they’ll keep making it and I’ll keep supporting them (as long as I like what I see). You’re asking a company to make things free when it costs them money to make. That’s just not realistic. You get plenty of content through new expansions and patches.

One thing I was thinking they could add to the shop is a toy that allows you to collect transmogs from any armor type/weapon when transmog collecting. So for example, a cloth user can collect plate/leather transmogs. I’d be more than happy to pay extra to have that type of convenience.

Well look at it from this perspective then.

You want Blizzard to have money to support the game. even though they already make 1.503 billion dollars for their income, dodge taxes and even get tax returns, But, to play devil’s advocate here, say from a business perspective, we both know that PR works. It’s works wonderfully when it’s done right, which is why so many people are defending microtransactions, including you, because of PR here.

So taking the store out, putting the stuff ingame and announcing there’s no more microtransactions, considering there’s a large segment of the population that dislikes microtransactions, and in a sea of corporations using microtransactions, with Ubisoft, Squenix, Rockstar and so on, don’t you think this will make Blizzard money here? You don’t think people will look at that and think their doing something good and virtuous here? That this creates a positive effect that will quickly spread? And in turn, more subs that means more money?

Also, your comment here reminds me of what Strauss Zelnick said here in this article.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/red-dead-redemption-2-microtransactions

He emphasised the lucrative margins on selling digital content, and said “you can’t give stuff away for free in perpetuity. There’s no business model in that.”

Zelnick says Take-Two “are convinced that we are probably, from an industry view, undermonetising on a per-user basis.”

That said, “we’re not trying to optimise the monetisation of everything we do to the nth degree. My concern is, if you do that, the consumer knows. They might not even know that they know, but they feel it.” Zelnick says if you pay too much for something, even if it’s high quality, it “just leaves you with a bad feeling. We don’t want our consumers to ever feel that way.”

So he’s aiming to strike a balance, but he reckons Take-Two can go further without giving you that bad feeling. Specifically, Zelnick says “there is wood to chop because I think we can do more, and we can do more without interfering with our strategy of being the most creative and our ethical approach, which is delighting consumers. We’re not going to grab the last nickel.”