Only WOW crashing my PC

you try open the game in Administrator mode?

I strictly play classic as of a month or so ago, which is when I began noticing this.

You’re not helping by throwing random assumption at what we may or may not have done. I can definitely tell you that between the time I played retail and then swapped to classic, I didn’t “run” any new software, or “make changes” to windows settings, or registry.

You do not know if its widespread or not, prior to me commenting and the poster above me, it was only this op getting the issue as far as everyone was concerned.

Now we have two more in this thread saying it.

Literally heres another thread from 2 days ago that has another person hitting it lol

List of things I’ve tried (Prob forgetting things)

• Disable all addons
  • Remove all addons
  • Scan and repair wow
  • Re-install wow
  • Re-install bnet
  • Restart router/internet checks
  • Check all HW components (this included physically taking my machine apart and checking every component).
  • Task manager viewing on other window to try to “catch” the issue
  • Observing thermals
  • Turning off OC
  • Turning on OC
  • Re-install of windows

I even found a thread about a person dealing with this due to a random quest in their quest log and after abandoning it, for some reason it fixed. Didn’t do that for me, and it is almost ALWAYS when I am looting things btw.

@OP

Do you have two monitors with different refresh rates out of curiosity and in wow are you on fullscreen?

Usually, if there’s some big game breaking issue or bug, the forums will be flooded with dozens and dozens of threads and hundreds to thousands of posts. This is not a widespread bug and seems to only be affecting a small percentage of players.

Well nobody ever owns up to it anyways, just like how cheaters always claim they have never cheated. Regardless of the morality, stereotypes/profiling/clichés exist for a reason.

A WoW error, where the game crashes, is not the same as a Windows BSOD error, like what Glaiveaddy posted.

Have you done a full UI reset and did you run the command /console cvar_default

1 Like

An assumption followed by a statement provided as fact doesn’t make it a fact. You do not know or have any understanding of how widespread this bug is, implying you do does nothing for the convo.

What a leap. Again, entirely useless post with no point to it.

The point in linking that post was that strangely it only happens with WoW. Every single crash log from that post points to wow, very similarly to this post, the only time Glaivedaddy gets that issue is with wow. Similarly, i only get that issue with wow, but yes maybe all of us within the last few weeks/months installed and busted our hardware.

Is this going to outpace

Any of that

Edit/Yawn

Edit/Yawn 2

Edit/Yawn 3

Edit/Yawn 4:

(He bought an entirely new machine btw)

Edit/Yawn 5:

Like buddy, come on. Inb4 thats a ticket response, title on the last 1 is what I care about.

What does that have to do with anything? New machines come with configuration problems, too.

1 Like

Typically when troubleshooting issues, buying an entirely new piece of hardware to rule that possibility out is a logical step. Or are you trying to imply that an edge case of getting a lemon machine is worth entertaining right now?

What about my train of thought here is confusing to you?

1 Like

Based on prior evidence, we really do. Also, there are multiple platforms in which you can find out if people are having issues. The forums, wowhead, mmochampion, reddit, twitter, discord, etc etc. Every single time there’s been some major groundbreaking bug, all of the platforms get flooded with posts about it.

Except it’s not. We can go down the rabbit hole of profiling if you’d like, but it’s really not that helpful in this case. Unnecessary tweaks and changes to the operating environment that can cause issues with games. The point is, anyone who does anything in IT, tech support, development, etc, knows a lot of the stereotypes pretty well. They don’t hold up 100% of the time, but usually more than half the time.

Potentially, because most CVARs are stored on the Blizzard servers and your client automatically redownloads them. Addons can break them, they get saved to the Blizzard servers, you try to do a full UI reset, you log in, you redownload the broken CVARs, problem persists, insert stick into front wheel spokes, fall over, blame others, continue to refuse to try potential solutions.

1 Like

Howdy Frashe,

There’s a lot to unpack here. To clarify, we aren’t aware of any widespread problems causing WoW to crash, freeze or restart PCs. There may be a lot of similar sounding reports on the forums over the years but in general these are isolated incidents that have their own causes. What you are describing is a symptom and there can be hundreds of different possible causes for that symptom, so each of these issues need to be investigated individually.

In this case though, what you described is not similar to what Glaiveðaddy is experiencing. The 132 errors other players reported are also not the same as a PC restart.

If you are experiencing problems playing WoW, I recommend creating your own thread with the steps you tried and your system files so your situation can be troubleshooted individually.

3 Likes

I might be a bit late to the party, but I’ll offer my two cents just in case:

You could have a failing PSU.

I went for about a year with WoW (and only WoW) crashing my computer, causing BSOD’s and finally causing boot files to be corrupt. While I was “living with it” and trying to figure out what it was causing the crashes, I read something about bad PSU’s and how they can cause system crashes when the voltage is not right.

The PSU that was going bad was bought new, it was name brand and I didn’t run enough hardware to come close to using the whole 700w it was rated for, but sure enough, it was going bad. It was only a couple years old.

I bought a new one and my system has been stable ever since.

2 Likes

Figured I’d add to this because I’m dealing with the same issue. Wow and only WoW will freeze frame for a second or less and then restart. There is NO error besides error 41(unexpected reboot). It’s not entirely random either, it happens more often in certain areas. MoTS dungeon, Oribos, and one level of Torghast(super short level with walkways on either side of a dirt road). It will also sometimes happen back to back. As in it will do the restart, I’ll relogin and then IMMEDIATELY get the freeze/restart again. The next restart it will be fine for awhile. For awhile I could sit in oribos or zone into MoTS and expect the reboot within 5-10minutes.

This is not a BSOD, there is no error besides unexpected reboot. Turning off auto-restart on error does nothing, it’s just freeze frame to restart.

My system:
AMD 5900x
Gskill Trident 32gig CL14 3200
MSI GTX 1070
Seasonic focus PX750
Nvme 2tb

Here is what I’ve tried that hasn’t worked or isn’t the issue:
CPU- RMA Replaced
Memory- RMA Replaced
Motherboard- RMA replaced
PSU- RMA replaced(cables too) as well as tried an older 850w psu
GPU- Replaced with a 1060
Lowering Graphics settings
Changing PC power settings to performance
Changing CPU power states and idle setting
Cooling(Noctua NH-D15+6 140 fans in a phantek 500 case)
Bios
I can run Prime 95+Furmark for hours without issue, no other games cause it

The only thing that I’ve found that seems to impact the issue is deleting the Blizzard cache folder. Then it will be fine for awhile, eventually it comes back though.

I highly doubt it’s hardware at this point unless I’m extremely unlucky and got a bad replacement. It’s definitely not temps/cooling.

What I just tried last night was a clean install of Windows 11. I haven’t got to test it yet so heres hoping! I heard some people say that HP software/drivers can cause this with Ryzen CPUs, same for Ryzen master or Motherboard software. Figured this was the best way to rule out all software installs at once.

I am having this exact same issue. I have been on vacation for a week. I came back yesterday, logged in to play. After just a few minutes of play the game crashed and my system restarted. As soon as I hit play in the launcher today my system crashed and restarted. Only occurs with WOW. I definitely have no overheating or hardware issues. This is a WOW issue. Just built this system two months ago. I keep my system clean and I monitor temps. No issues what so ever in any other game.

1 Like

Not a 3rd party software issue unless it’s windows 11 itself. Restarted multiple times while doing both Mortregar 16 flawless and Twisting Corridor. Did a clean install and only other programs installed outside of what comes with windows are firefox, thunderbird, LGhub, discord, steam, Nvida experience, VLC, and dropbox.

a ramdom restart maybe a power supply unit (PSU) is on the way out or not supplying enough power to the mainboard GPU etc. if the PSU is under 450w you might need to go to 500w - 550w because the GPU might take a lot of power

Mine has been doing the same thing since March on my laptop. Luckily, I have a desktop I normally play on but do like to play on my laptop. I’ve had days where I can play without any issue for hours and days where after only 5 minutes it’s rebooting my laptop. Never any issues with temp or with anything else on my laptop. Only happens with WoW. Both in Full Screen and in windowed mode. Tried the interface reset. Disabled and uninstalled all add-ons. Took everything to barebones and nada. Laptop is gaming laptop with great graphics, fans, memory and cpu. I’ve reinstalled and repaired WoW. Reinstalled Win 10. When all that didn’t work, I upgraded to Win 11. Really at a loss of what to try next with this only happening with WoW.

Post a DXDIAG

1 Like

I play on a Dell G5 5500, 16G RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. I realized today that my problem with WoW shutting my computer down has been, and only is, in Shadowlands…I played the game in the past on my other laptops with no problems. I thought when I got this new one (coincidentally just as Shadowlands was released), it was the laptop. However, after playing many other games, and playing WoW up to Shadowlands without any issues, I’m calling Blizzard out for something wrong with the Shadowlands expac…

I’ve been wrestling with this for two years. I’ve done everything I can find on Google, anything I can think of. No solution…

I literally just took a character in the last month from 1 to 50, no problems. Went from 50-60 doing only pet battles (thank you, Words of Wisdom), no problems. I’ve run my daughter through older dungeons/raids, no problems. As soon as I actually started doing Shadowlands content, my laptop was crashing 3-4 times a session. I’ve capped my fps to 60, set my graphics levels to high, at most. I don’t feel that my laptop should need that, though. It should be able to handle so much more. Regardless, even with all I have done to tweak things and make it not shut down, it does in Shadowlands content. I had to run the same damned scenario 3 times the other day, because my computer kept shutting down.

That’s a lot to ask for that card.

If the computer is shutting down, the problem is not software-related.

For the past several years I’ve been using this method to open the game. Once I started using this, I stopped having so many issues with being dumped out of the game.

Out side of freeze frames during heavy visuals like in raids, etc., I rarely have any disconnect issues any longer. I also found that if I use the admin option to start Wow, I also need to use the admin option to open up discord as they seem to conflict with one another if they are not opened the same way.

Someone in my guild told me about this before I started doing it. He worked in the field of IT and did game support on the side. This is exactly what he suggested and it works for me all the time.

1 Like