Once sharding is allowed in Classic..

Are you kidding? Loved it. I don’t think we stopped pvping for 6 hours or so on my server.

1 Like

I am 100% in agreement with you on that. Once the population is spread out, it actually starts to become a community. The initial faceless mass of zerglings at launch is just that, a faceless mass that has no benefit or sense of community.

If they extend sharding beyond the starting areas or for an extended period of time past launch, I will be here right along with you all decrying them and adding my voice to the chorus.

However, I do want it at launch.

1 Like

It was horrible. I hate PvP with a PASSION, so that doesn’t do anything to help your argument there. Sooooooooo many people after boars and siege weapon parts, etc… Terrible.

1 Like

Welcome to mmos

2 Likes

Care to point out where someone has said that?

1 Like

MMOs do not require everyone on the server to be in one place, thanks. :slight_smile:

MMOs simply mean many people playing it at once. MMOs do not mean that you are required to interact with all of those players at the same time.

The guy who keeps claiming that sharding is there to create an environment where you will never have to run into or interact with others.

Cant say as i have ever read that. But what i have read is that it takes large groups and turns them into snaller groups.
Yes there is a poster running around who does indeed see other players as obstacles and wants their own personal shard or one with a few as people as possible.

I also believe that if sharding is put into use it will always be used to sone degree. Blizzards history whith things likes this validates this belief
People are also forgetting whats going to happen when you have orcs, trolls, and taurens move into the barrens that will have the same issues starting areas do but with a higher popukation than even un sharded starting zones and limited resources.

2 Likes

That will be staggered as people start to level faster or more slowly. Some people leave right away, some people do all the quests in Mulgore then move on… It depends. Also, the Barrens is a HUGE area compared to the starting zones, and the quests are more spread out. THough, let’s not talk about the drop rates of things like hooves… >.<

Anyway, beyond the starting zones, I think that the population will start to naturally even itself out. The only real concern I have is the starting zones.

In the starting zones at the launch of a new server, other players ARE obstacles. Faceless zerglings that have no life. Once they get out into the greater world, they gain their identities and depending on the player of that character, can be a help or a hindrance.

But, until we’re out of the starting zones, they’re nothing but NPCs that don’t do anything but take mobs and quest objectives I need.

2 Likes

When I first played Classic WoW in October of 2005, I came across a group of friendly Level 60s in Trisfal Glades. They appeared through the fog, in the rain, and honestly kind of scared me. They were in the starting zone to as a “Charity Caravan” they said - there to help other new players with some small gifts, like bags.

One of them tried to give me a bag and I didn’t know how to trade with him to receive it much less how to talk to him, in fact! But they were kind and sincere and helped me with the new bags and items and even gave me some tips on how to play my new Warlock.

Your mentality, I’m afraid, is what helped kill the spirit of WoW and why a lot of us want Classic WoW, and the community it had, restored. People should not be considered obstacles who get in your way - they are co-adventures and potential friends to help you along your journey. That is what I miss from my experience in Classic WoW and why I want the authentic experience of Classic WoW back in my life.

3 Likes

People think quite differently on the subject.

1 Like

None of this happened AT LAUNCH with HUNDREDS of faceless level ones in the same area.

There will be no "Charity Caravan"s at launch.

Your experience has no relevance to the launch of a new server. As I have said before, I only want sharding in the starting zones for the limited launch window. I do not want it everywhere all the time.

Your story is a very nice, rare case of people doing helpful things, but has no bearing on why I want sharding and when.

You keep saying that you want sharding “only in the starting areas and only for a brif time at launch” because all those other players in an MMO are nothing but obstacles in your way, but you refuse to tell us all what you consider “starting areas” or “brief time at launch”.

3 Likes

Elwynn, Teldrassil (excluding Darnassus), Mulgore, Durotar, Dun Morogh, Tirisfal.

However long it takes the mass of faceless zerglings to get their faces and start spreading out. No more than 2-3 weeks I would think.

Everyone of those zones you listed includes their respective capitol cities, yet you very specifically only chose to exclude Darnassus. Why did you choose to include Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, Undercity, Ironforge and Stormwind?

IMO, the starting areas are: Shadowglenn, Northshire, Coldridge Valley, Deathknell, Camp Narache and Valley of Trials. IMO, a “brief time” would be, at most, 2-3 days.

The point is that we all have our opinions as to what “only in the starting areas and only for a brief time at launch” means. We’ve seen people ask that sharding be used all the way through Westfall, Darkshore, TheBarrens and Silverpine Forest, even as far as Hillsbrad and Arathi Highlands. We’ve seen people ask that sharding be used for the first few MONTHS.

What happens when all those “obstacles in your way” move from Elwynn into Westfall and you are competing with them for the Defias messenger or the Defias traitor? What happens when all those “obstacles in your way” move from Mulgore and Durotar into the Barrens and you’re competing with them for zhevra hooves?

Those “obstacles in your way” are not going to simply disappear because Blizzard catered to those with the instant (figure of speech, not literally “instant”) gratification (give me what I want as quickly as possible and for as little effort as possible), convenience oriented mindset that is so prevalent in retail by sharding a single zone for a couple of days, or even a couple of weeks.

5 Likes

What is sharding? I see sharding and I think disenchanting, but reading through this thread implies it means something else.

Sharding is an artificial means of splitting a server’s playerbase, oftern resulting in players seeing other players, NPC’s, quest objectives and resources appearing and disappearing in front of them.

It is not at all uncommon to see a resource node on your map that simply disappears when you get close, only to reappear if you back away because it is in a different shard.

There have been videos opf people in the demo being practically alone, even though there were dozens of people in the same area and many right in front of them, just in a “different shard”. When invited into the group in the other shard, suddenly they go from being practically alone to being a in a large crowd.

In the end, sharding boils sown to convenience over community, IMO.

There are players that see all the other players (in an MMO, mind you) as nothing but obstacles in their way and want those other obstacles sharded into oblivion so they have as little competition for those quest mobs, quest objectives, resources, etc. as possible.

2 Likes

All of those areas include capitol cities and are just as large as all the other areas.
If you are going to use the defense of people spread out in the bigger areas then you might not want to include areas that are just as large and larger than quite a few areas.

If orcs and trolls cannot spread out in durotar then how are they going to spread out in the barrens when everyone from mulgore goes there? There are relatively the same number of quests and the same issues for resources are going to occur but with a higher population.

It is astonishing how little load WoWs servers can take. Honestly, most the private servers hold up better from what I’ve seen/heard.

Makes me speculative of just how difficult it would be for them to upgrade server capacity.