Once sharding is allowed in Classic..

The sad truth is that sharding validates that view.

That’s not how sharding works.

Really?

Sharding doesn’t shove players into another shard so that those with the instant (figure of speech, no literally “instant”) gratification (“give me what I want as quickly as possible and for as little effort as possible”), convenience oriented mindset that is so prevalent in “modern WoW” don’t have to compete with all those obstacles (other players) for mobs, quest objectives, resources, etc. ?

3 Likes

No sharding does not in fact create a personal shard for everyone such that you never see anyone else in the world. As much as fear mongerers like to claim it does.

Once again, you intentionally misrepresent what was said.

Where did I ever say that sharding creates a “personal shard for everyone”?

Sharding IS an artificial means of splitting a server’s community. Sharding DOES shove players into other shards so that those with that instant (figure of speech, no literally “instant”) gratification (“give me what I want as quickly as possible and for as little effort as possible”), convenience oriented mindset that is so prevalent in “modern WoW” don’t have to compete with all those obstacles (other players) for mobs, quest objectives, resources, etc., though, even if they still have a little competition.

Sharding does also often lead to at least one shard being very sparsely populated even if there are many people in the same area.

2 Likes

How can you be sure of that?
Even blizzard admitted they understand the fanbase largely doesn’t want sharding.

2 Likes

He never once said each person gets there own shard.
He did say that it splits people up so that there isn’t so many people in one zone.
Which is about as anti mmo as you can get because you see less people.

2 Likes

You’re right what he said is sharding creates competition free zones where you never encounter other players. Which is blatantly false.

1 Like

It does greatly reduce the competition though.

1 Like

We’ll see how aggressively they push sharding in the starting zones, until then crying that sharding will completely remove any competition from zones is just fear mongering.

No it’s pure fact. Anyone who has played retail can see what sharding does.

3 Likes

Exactly you still ran into plenty of people leveling in retail.

Now if you want to talk about reducing competition? Shared tags and individually phased quest taps do that far more than sharding does.

Perhaps he’s simply confusing the different things.

1 Like

Not plenty at all. When i play an mmo I want to run into people everywhere. That didn’t happen.

Remember when bc went live? I want that

3 Likes

/shrug I ran into plenty of people while leveling in BFA.

Now people do level quite a bit faster in retail so that crowd doesn’t last as long but the leveling zones were pretty well populated regardless of sharding for the first couple weeks.

Why should we believe a former member of and contributor to the “wall of NO” who now apparently wants Classic to be as far from vanilla as possible?

3 Likes

opinion on sharding aside I like Ziryus still run into plenty of people, sadly most are from other servers but like the great seal is always full of people, or the area where the warfront table is so different people have different experiences of it.

1 Like

Well of course the great seal is. It’s a faction hub. Now how many do you see out doing world quests? 2? 3? Per hub?
Meanwhile how many did you see at isle of queldanes? Argent tournament grounds?

1 Like

How many do I see now, after BFA has been out for months and everyone has been 120 for almost that long? not many. Actually so few I don’t think sharding has anything to do with why I don’t see many people in the world.

How many did I see on launch day and for the first few weeks after launch? Quite a lot of people actually.

Without mob sharing and multi resource tagging it would have been quite competitive to actually get things done.

And of course the flip side is, how many people did I see in leveling zones or just open world content in vanilla or BC or Wrath after most people hit max level and had been there awhile? Once again not many.

1 Like

And I guarantee you it would have been nothing like what I saw on B.C. launch.

Which is exactly the point. Bc felt massive.
Sharding only makes it feel multiplayer.

1 Like

You ran into random strangers that you’ll never see again. That’s not a community.

3 Likes