Older fan base is migrating to classic cause difficulty

Trying to find something on netflix for my second monitor before I fall asleep.

Live action one piece

I am saving that for a particular rainy day.

For whatever reason I am going through the 12 Monkeys tv series atm. I am sorta a sucker for time travel.

Iā€™m 35 and have played WoW well over a decade, but honestly Classic doesnā€™t hit the same since the mystery is pretty much gone on wondering what the ā€œnext big thingā€ is. Plus everything has been so min/maxed now that, again, doesnā€™t feel the same when I played it ā€œback in the dayā€. Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™ve messed with it, even have dabbled with hardcore, but definitely on the casual side. And more power to those who like what they like.

I think a majority of people who play Classic are those who never tried it or those looking for nostalgia. Like a comfort food. Or like how I play the Mass Effect series every year.

Iā€™d like to add as well compare the Classic cinematics theyā€™ve been doing, especially the recent Icecrown one versus the next patch coming to retail. There is a huge HUGE difference in the vibes each is giving, and the ICC one just feels more epic.

I feel like Retail essentially tainted itself with Shadowlands in the same vein as Star Wars did with the newer trilogy. You have a large base who checked out and would rather stay with the OG 3 (and even the prequels) than stick around with the newer stuff. Especially how theyā€™ve been handling long time characters.

1 Like

Nopeā€¦ not in my case.

Iā€™m playing Classic for Hardcore.

Makes me care more (about everything)

In retail I feel like a billionaire who canā€™t find a reason to care about anything because its so easy.

In hardcore classic its the opposite. Iā€™m not proud of anything in retail anymoreā€¦ whereas even just hitting 30 in HC feels great. And wanting just to stay alive keeps me awake in game.

Offer me hardcore retail servers and I might give it a try.

1 Like

Having a multi-page guide is and has been commonā€¦ I have a Prima guide from Star Wars Galaxies sitting right next to me.

Useful vs requiredā€¦thats my point.

1 Like

good thing classic exists. The olds can have their old game and retail can appeal to the younglings and together we can generate enough revenue for Blizzard to justify keeping the game online.

I see no downsides.

2 Likes

HC Retail would be pretty crazy, I honestly canā€™t imagine the chaos of it. All that aside I agree with the rest of your post, good take.

Interstingly enough it appears young and old are all watching Classic HC on Twitch and Youtube and semi-ignoring retail atm.

Idk what youā€™re basing that on but

:+1: ok!

Complaints of difficulty in retail are entirely nonsensical. There are 4 difficulty options players can engage with based on their personal skill.

What these complaints usually boil down to is that players canā€™t get the best rewards from putting in the least amount of effort, which has been the case in Classic for the last 4 years: no difficulty, max rewards.

1 Like

Iā€™m basing it on looking at Twitch and Youtubeā€¦

If you avoid anything challenging I understand why you would feel its all so easy.

1 Like

Not everybody watches twitch and YouTube shows you what you want to see but.

All players are migrating from classic to retail.

I base this on the fact that I heard a bobcat scream 3 times last night before I went to bed.

Please do not dispute this source. Its as legitimate as anything else being posted.

4 Likes

Or you can say brain memory pressing buttons lol

Classic is less difficult? I have vivid memories of wandering into roaming elites in many zones that stomped me into paste.

In my case its more interesting to play hardcore in greens and blues than it is to Recycle gear every few months and thats all it isā€¦ I donā€™t care about max rewards in Retail because it will all get vendored or DEā€™s failry soon anyway.

2 Likes

It would be chaos. Chaos is never boring. LOL

I have three accounts and in some expacs have had over 50 max characters. Iā€™ve done it all in this game, leveling, dungeons, raids, raid lead, raid lead on Oceanic (where there were language issues), have sold achieves and maxxed gold, did my best in PvP till I couldnā€™t do better, and am now spending my retail gold to pay my sub while playing HC.

What i do is not for everyone (nothing is for everyone) but Iā€™ve been playing this game since 2005 (guess my age) and HC is the most fun Iā€™ve had in a long time.

The closest analogue I have is when i played on Shadowmoon (PvP) i didnā€™t so much enjoy killing others as I enjoyed avoiding death.

I have that in HC - and an entire server that shares my interests.

And if and when I die I can ascend for free to Era ā€œheavenā€.

Whats not to like?? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I played mut sin on classic wrath given how many people hyped it up over the years and it was the most boring thing i ever touched in wow.