Older fan base is migrating to classic cause difficulty

why is this thread still going?

Agreed as someone who is 37 I donā€™t even use FB anymore

1 Like

Whatā€™s the problem?

Different kind of players have different kind of games to enjoy. The 1 button only players have a game they can be good at. Seems like a win win.

I agree with button bloat.

Why I left WoTLK to return to retail though was Iā€™ve done that content SO much, and no matter how good it is, its just a repeat. I know it is different doing ICC at real ilvl, but if you played back then or even in Cata doing ICC still wasnā€™t easy like it became a few xpac later.

Classic also lacks all the QoL stuff we have gotten devs to give us over the years.

I did WoTLK classic for a year and got bored out of my mindā€¦

As long as the devs design encounters to defeat addons instead of engage players, this is what itā€™s going to be like.

2 Likes

My very thought when Classic was announced, and people were hyping it up on how hard it was and then not only a week after launch people already destroyed MC.

When I came from Star Wars Galaxies to WoW I thought the combat and understanding of WoWs mechanics were pretty straightforward and easy. Just like you said a lot of things were just tedious, like leveling. It wasnā€™t hard, it just took time. (Healing after a fight, drinking, making sure not to pull too much, etc.) Even dungeons were long, WC for example isnā€™t hard, itā€™s just a super long dungeon.

I think too many people conflate time = difficulty, and that still sits the same with many things in retail as well.

2 Likes

Maybe once you hit level 12ā€¦

If wotlk classic hadnā€™t scrapped queue-able dungeons, I would probably be spending more time there than retail. Sadly they did decide to do that, and thus I had little reason to play. Itā€™s why I didnā€™t stick with vanilla classic. Iā€™m not the person I was 20 years ago. I just donā€™t want to spend an hour or more in a chat channel to find a group for a dungeon. And if a run falls apart for any reason, having to go through it all again in the hopes of finishing the run. I really wish wrath classic had kept the queue-able dungeons. :pensive:

1 Like

The pvp is better. Not perfect by any meansā€¦but better.

All I lost was some bgā€™s I donā€™t like anyway. No tears were shed over no more Seething shore. Or kotmogu.

and I lost ashran. which most of the time is a crap show. Oh no, its gone! Anywayā€¦

In my experience this actually checks out. As a member of the older set myself, most people I know are going classic simply because it isnā€™t as overwhelming as retail if you can only play a couple hours a week.

I would argue you donā€™t get any more done in classic (I actually get done hellaciously less), itā€™s just you have no systems and a billion other things to keep track of so itā€™s more the illusion of simplicity.

1 Like

Those systems that required people to login and keep up with in WoW have been gone since DF launched.

On the bright side you donā€™t run out of mana every other mob pull.

Hey I just work here, thatā€™s what they tell me. Iā€™ve brought a couple people to try DF and itā€™s like they canā€™t handle the pace or something. I know a lot of BS from the last few expansions is fixed but key people are just not noticing that.

2 Likes

You would think the 8090 achievement points would give away that I have played awhile. Perhaps when you top 4000, youll learn this.

1 Like

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I would consider myself part of the ā€œolder fan baseā€ seeing how Iā€™ve been playing this game for nearly 19 years, played all the RTS when they were brand new, etc.

I will not ^$*#>% touch Classic!

That also goes for the 10 or so people I play with in my guild and the 50+ friends I play with all of which have been playing this game since launch without breaks.

Yeah I do have some friends that will dabble from time to time. I didnā€™t count them, just being faire and all, but that number is less than those who donā€™t care or want to play Classic.

We also respect peopleā€™s opinions and donā€™t care if they do play. Itā€™s their choice. Itā€™s just not our cup of tea and we donā€™t want it shoved down our throats like it should be.

Sorryā€¦ it needed to be said. And the poll on Facebook is meaningless.

1 Like

This account is a couple months old. So now I know you have been playing WOW for around 4 monthsā€™ish. Itā€™s not really awhile in a 20 year old game after allā€¦ Or maybe achievement points dont mean much in this context.

Hereā€™s the dealā€¦ If you are running end game content and donā€™t roll with several mandatory addons, run parses on the regular and use a specific build dictated by a ā€œmetaā€ likely detailed in a guide down to the timing and rotation of your abilities then Iā€™m sad to say many would call you out as doing it wrongā€¦ I would not, but Iā€™m comfortable saying it would happen unless you happen to be a prodigy in which case, good for you.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve never utilized macros and it shows.

You would still be wrong. Click on my name, look at my profile and achievements. I have 34 legacy achievements dating 2008-20012, that are retired and cannot be achieved anymore showing I played the first 4 years achievements were in game. And as can be seen in the other tabs, I have crafting up to at least 600 in all professions and so many others that show I have been playing a long time, with a nice long break in between.

Hereā€™s the dealā€¦you play with bad players that make you feel bad for not being up to par with them and that is why you believe guides are required. Deal with it and move on.

2 Likes

Class design has gotten more complex, but the real problem is fights are getting much more complex at the same time.

I can deal with a 60 APM rotation, I canā€™t deal with it when every fight has a half dozen mechanics to remember. Modern WoW is too stressful to play, every fight is a convoluted combination of Dance Dance Revolution, Hot Potato, and The Floor is Lava.

Iā€™m not saying I want every fight to be a simple Patchwerk fight, but thereā€™s definitely a mechanic bloat that needs to be scaled back on. Hyper complex fights have their place, and that place is the last boss of a raid, outside of that, the design team needs to chill out a bit.

3 Likes