Ok to play Horde war within?

I get the complaints, though I am not sure how they can resolve them if they also want to tell a tight story everyone sees like they are so far in this saga. That approach and representing factions well feel like they are kinda antithetical.

Funny how they approach has to leave out half the fanbase with a few scraps

5 Likes

And this is a good thing. I know so many people who want to have “evil” humans and “good” Taurens, just to play truly what they want.

1 Like

So you’d be good with eight years of hard focus on Horde characters and themes with your only scraps for the Alliance being literal scraps, or your characters being written out of character as weak, stupid, evil, or any combination of the three?

4 Likes

You know that isnt gonna happen, so try saying something blizzard would actually do.

On that note though, I have pondered why the Dev team seems so internally hostile towards the Horde. I have come to wonder if a not-insignificant number of the writers associate it with Afrasiabi now, and sort of take out their pent up issues with him out on it.

1 Like

Writing a story that appeals to both factions with characters from both factions that doesn’t ish pile one faction.

That’s something Metzen would do.
But not Nu-Blizzard without Metzen.
They love the Alliance (and over especially night elves/their themes) and hate the ish out of the Horde.

5 Likes

If I had to guess, it’s a multi prong problem.

1. Some just really love elves and humies. I think these are the majority.
  2. Some associate the Horde with toxic male masculinity. Golden commented briefly on this once or thrice.
  3. Some associate the Horde with Asmongold maybe. Idk if he’s Horde, but the clips I’ve seen of him strike me as an old Horde fan.
  4. In relation to the prior point, maybe has to do with fans new or old. Like that one dumb metal band from Cataclysm.
  5. Horde ugly. I think this is probably a small portion, but absolutely non zero.
5 Likes

Given how dev driven the story is, Its likely there simply isn’t that many dev’s who care about the horde as there used to be

5 Likes

Some of it I think might go back to BFA in the recent era, as from what I understand a majority of the team was really not on board with the whole War of Thorns deal but Afrasiabi kinda forced it through as sorta his final insult to the brand.

…which incidentally was the last thing he apparently did as creative director, and was (seemingly) the impetus for how the team’s writing became democratized as it is now.

It felt like they kept trying to “make up” for it, when mostly all they did was keep making things worse.

7 Likes

For me, the more they ignore the horde how hard they burned it down, the worse it gets, cause its just them trying to hide how bad they pissed on the sheets

7 Likes

I forgot a big point.

• Some are True Blue Believers: They really love one race of the Alliance, or the Alliance as a whole, and hold any slight from the Horde against the Alliance in a repertoire or memory catalogue. Everything they do against the Horde is vengeance for some slight real or imagined, be it by the Horde in story or the playerbase itself.
5 Likes

I assume all the complaints that are about there being too many Alliance characters and being friends with them would include Dagran, but maybe that’s my mistake. People have the same problem with Anduin, who is not a warhawk or warcriminal, so what’s the explanation there?

Hell, people complain that the vibe of the entire expansion is too Alliance with rock dwarves and half-elf Arathi being paladins. Even if neither are Alliance they feel Alliance and apparently that’s enough to make it Alliance.

What’s disingenuous is trying to pretend this is about the warhawk characters when it isn’t. It’s about interacting with Alliance and supposedly Alliance aesthetics.

I understand the complaints. I don’t agree with them because I believe they’re hyperbolic.

I’m sorry what

6 Likes

No we are angry that helf fans try to take Silvermoon and alliance war criminals get pardanoned. You argue in bad faith.

1 Like

i mean lets be real here

lore wise. if youre one of the hallowfall half elfs and iron dwarves. would you really choose to join the horde ? over the alliance ?

also the half troll half elf race in the spider zone got so little screen time its going to be hilarious when they make em a horde race.

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, Turalyon was the one who rallied the Alliance forces against the Horde after the death of Lothar in his duel. I don’t recall him having any particular buddy moments with the Horde.

3 Likes

They 180’d him for Alleria’s short story leading up to war within and then 180’d him back for one line in the post campaign. Having gone through the alliance side of the same quest, it’s very telling that someone either wasn’t on the same page or this was supposed to be changed.

Everyone is toned down towards the player except Turalyon for that one instance.

6 Likes

Pretty much everything I predicted after BFA did happen eventually.

No Horde involvement outside faction war? Check
Only alliance leaders give out quests? Check
Blizzard taking the few good stuff the Horde has and ive it to the alliance like Silvermoon and the belf starting zone? Check.

I warned you all. That is what you deserve for siding with Saurfang.

1 Like

Nice bit of made up fiction you got there🤣

we both know it will happen. The high elf community like to throw tantrums when they don’t get their wish.