Official Soar/Dragon Riding Mega Thread!

The thing that would concern me more is the recent comments from some Alpha testers about “physics” being added to dragon riding that make it seem laggy.

I really don’t want my travel mode to be some kind of annoying mini-game.

3 Likes
  1. Soar is only allowed where flying is allowed for everybody
  2. Everyone unlocks Dragonriding early in the quest chain of the first zone on Dragon Isles, so not much of an advantage there.
8 Likes

Shivari your OP is lovely!!! I love how you updated it, title included.

Love love, thanks!!! :heart:

Edit: also if you think it’s appropriate, you could also add the link to the only Dracthyr Discord server where fans gather and discuss about the race, the class and ofc Soar :laughing:

https://discord.gg/UTYErdzzzY

Soar is being compared to various movement abilities as well as the racials from dark iron and vulpera, Soar has direct freedom of movement in comparison to abilities that last infinitely less than it as well as any form of direct transportation such as mole machine, vulperas camp as well as mages teleport abilities.

In comparison to things like that moving 940% to any single destination that does not require setting up a camp, finding the zones mole machines and a portal directly to the expansion city, 940% is dramatically overpowered. If I were given a choice, I’d take soar over everything else because soar would be faster to get going vs everyone elses dragonriding mount.

Made this in another post, but asked to redo it here.

Understandably, the nerf to Soar speed has caused a bit of an uproar. Also understandably, it is outside of a racial ability to gain access to something as strong as dragon riding. Instead, I propose a solution that should fix most of the criticisms on both sides.

Give the Dracthyr race access to an ability akin to Running Wild from the Worgen which gives them flying mount capabilities.

Give the Evoker class Soar. Nerfed in the old world and unnerfed with access to dragonriding passives when in the dragon isles.

This solves the issue of many (or theoretically every) class having access to Soar, given the eventual plans to All Race All Class Blizzard has mentioned. Likewise this grants Evokers a consistent option to fly with their wings everywhere and, should dragonriding be enabled everywhere, that same power. This also grants windows for tuning to dragonriding or future mechanics which use the same framework.

A lore wise explanation is while all Dracthyr can use their wings to fly in some fashion only Evokers can channel their draconic heritage enough to tap into dragonriding.

5 Likes

That’s fine, you are allowed to have your preferences and opinions - but if we are talking about objective min-maxing, then your assertion of 940% Movement Speed being more powerful compared to Instant Teleportation is just blatantly incorrect. How are you even trying to compare one to the other? It’s already on a fifteen minute cooldown and you are not even bothering to acknowledge that being able to, once again, instantly teleport to the place of your choice, is not somehow faster than Soar? You understand that even if Soar is faster than somehow a five to ten second cast, there is a massive diminishing return on Soar because it has a fifteen minute cooldown? That’s even being charitable and assuming you’re correct in your blanket assertion, you are still wrong.

At this point, the only conclusion I can draw is that you have a bias against the ability for whatever the reasons are, and have formed a factually incorrect conclusion that has no basis that can be debunked by comparing an incredibly fast movement speed increase that has a fifteen minute limitation to instant teleports.

If you somehow still think that Vulpera especially pulled the short end of the stick in this entire thing or even compared to Dark Iron Dwarves, and you still want to argue that Soar is somehow “OP” then I’ve nothing further to respond with.

2 Likes

Vulpera is super not OP with its second hearthstone according to these guys

2 Likes

He’s the worst troll? You told him to shut up on two of your characters in back to back posts.

I’m curious why you keep comparing class related spells and abilities to a racial ability instead comparing soar against other racials.

Revert the soar nerf.

Let BC flying and Dragonriding coexist so everyone has options. I do not want to play a mini-game just to fly 100% of the time. Options are never a bad thing.

6 Likes

Because it is a unique racial that has nothing to compare against. The closest comparisons we could make are the most extreme instances of class abilities that either function similarly to Soar or serve as utility for classes to rationalize the absurdity of the nerf.

If we were to compare it solely against other racials such as Worgen’s Running Wild, Vulpera’s Camp, Dark Iron Dwarf’s Mole Machine then the comparisons would be unfair because Soar serves as Dragon Riding, which is a unique form of flight exclusive to the Dragon Isles, and we have not had such mechanics before, and I am in favor of buffing other racials to bring them in-line with Dracthyr’s, but that isn’t the current discussion. Especially considering no race has had a “flying mount” as a racial, there is once again, nothing to compare Soar to in this particular instance.

The discussion revolves around the nerf of Soar and why it’s not good for gameplay. So the best comparisons to use to demonstrate why the nerf of Soar is unjustified is to compare it to other abilities that serve a similar or identical purpose to Soar, and how the integrity of those abilities have remained intact for sometimes over a decade, almost two, yet, Dracthyr already get a watered down version of Dragon Riding, and it doesn’t even make it out of Alpha without getting nerfed, yet these other abilities that are way stronger and serve the purpose of Soar to a much greater extent don’t get nerfed? The logic used seems a bit contradictory. Especially when you factor in things such as Mage Portal/Teleport reagents being removed, as just one example.

The tuning to Soar is fine. It is still a racial that will allow Dracthyr to fly at double the rate as everyone else anywhere flying is allowed in the game.

I mean, I realize this change makes Dracthyr dead on arrival since most people will probably roll Pandaren for that sweet fall damage decrease or Kul Tiran swim speed.

Heck, where were all these threads when Dwarven racials, which are actually playable in game, got nerfed for CN in game?

Dracthyr can only be Evoker, and Evoker can only be Dracthyr. Their racials ARE class related spells. Hell, two of their “racials” can be modded on their talent tree.

7 Likes

Except that you do not simply press Soar and go 940%.

The 940% is a maximum value, and actually DOES require some degree of setup, planning, and skill to reach and maintain.

Remember that Soar has limited ability to gain altitude, and that any altitude gain will typically come at the cost of speed. Meaning it’s only 940% if you are going DOWN the entire way–otherwise you are temporarily or permanently losing speed. It also has a five minute cooldown starting when you land, so if your feet accidentally touch the top of a mountain too much, guess what? You’re stuck on the mountain for five minutes, or switching to a regular flying mount.

People are acting like this is TBC-style flying, but 3x as fast–which I agree would be broken if it were the case. But it’s not. Soar takes careful setup and management to use optimally, just like mole machine, portal, and Vulpera hearth.

The videos people are posting of soaring insanely fast all involve diving off the top of Hyjal, Blackrock, the freaking Sword in Silithus, or some other comparably high point that guess what? They have to take the time to fly up to on a regular mount because with the exception of a single activated ability on a five minute cooldown, Soar DOES NOT GO UP–and certainly not at 940% speed.

9 Likes

Because the reason for nerfing those made sense. The reasons for nerfing soar read like an SNL parody of a dev post.

4 Likes

I really wish more people understood this. Sometimes I think the devs themselves don’t understand this.

8 Likes

Diving off the top of Sargeras’ sword and then powergliding across Kalimdor at 940% flight speed is a thing that people like because it is FUN, not because it lets them beat all the gnomes to the pet battles.

I mean I really can’t believe this decision was ever made, or that people are trying to defend it.

9 Likes

Only people that don’t have alpha are ever trying to defend it. Not really worth arguing with them. :man_shrugging:

As for the decision itself, whoever made it should not be making decisions for this game any longer. They clearly have no idea what they’re doing, or why they’re doing it.

6 Likes

Well, I mean, apparently the devs don’t have alpha, either, based on their reasoning.

3 Likes

I don’t think they have retail either, considering one of the reasons given was a leveling system Evokers can’t even do. :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

9 Likes