Odd FPS capping behavior

Setting the game back to Directx 11 seemed to fix it for me, if that helps at all.

Your experience mirrors mine nearly exactly, albeit I have a Radeon GPU.

Changing the max background toggle did nothing to help, nor did disabling the max foreground or the target. Inky black potion did very little to help my FPS loss in Valdraken either. I’m still down around 40% of my FPS from before 10.1.

I’m having the exact same issues outlined in the initial post. FPS is normal unless in certain areas in which it becomes hard throttled to 30. Areas I’ve noticed in the limited play time since the patch have been:
Stormwind
Elwynn Forest
Vault of the Incarnates
Obsidian Citadel - Waking Shores
Scalecracker Keep - Waking Shores
Mirewood Fen - Ohn’ahran Plains (Zaralek Caverns entrance between Thaldraszus and Ohn’ahran Plains)

My relevant hardware is as follows:
Intel Core i7 6700K
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
16GB RAM
Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD

I can confirm that the Inky Black Potion consumable instantly alleviates the issues as it changes the skybox as one of the previous posters mentioned, so there’s almost assuredly an issue with the skyboxes in some regard.

this is the EXACT same thing that was happening to me, in the same dungeon. i’m glad it’s not just me.

Hi Jambrix,

Tried both of those to no avail unfortunately.

Thanks for the response,

Hey all,

Thank you very much for testing and providing amazing info for this issue. The WoW team has identified the root cause for this FPS behavior and they are looking to push out the fix soon.

In the meantime here is the work around that should clear up the FPS issues in those specific areas.

1. Navigate to the WoW directory (In the Battle.net app go to Options → Show in Explorer)
  2. Open the _retail_ > WTF > Config.wtf file in Notepad (or text editor of choice)
  3. Delete the SET SkyCloudLOD line completely
  4. Save the file and launch the game from the Battle.net app
2 Likes

Thanks Jambrix, that indeed does fix the issue. I wonder why this issue wasn’t more widespread, no one else I know had anything similar happen.

this fixed it!! thank you jambrix and wow team for the support!

That did it. Thank you Jambrix! :partying_face: :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

Finally got around to trying out your solution, and it fixed the problem. Thanks Jambrix and the rest of the support team that helped find the fix.

This doesn’t help, as the entry doesn’t even exist in the config.

6 Likes

Finally!! Thank you

The SET SkyCloudLOD Is not ther. what do i do?

1 Like

Unfortunately that line is not in my config. What else can be done? I’m having latency issues since the patch downloaded.

1 Like

having these same issues and SET SkyCloudLOD is not found

1 Like

I’m having the same issue… fps will randomly be below 20 even in a calm area. “SET SkyCloudLOD” does not exist.

1 Like

Same problem no SET SkyCloudL0D. Also experiencing problems with messaging, and interactions with NPCs not working unless I do constant reloads. Found that removing addon “AddOnSkins” improved FPS but not entirely.

1 Like

Hey all,

Sorry for any confusion with continuing issues. The QA team thinks they have a fix for this and are going to get a fix out soon. While we don’t know what exact patch it’ll be on, check back with each patch and it should be fixed with no further troubleshooting on your end. The current work around is here.

For those of you who do not have a SET SkyCloudL0D line in your config file, you are having a different issue. Please check the performance troubleshooting and FAQ here, and follow the instructions to create your own thread or contact support if it doesn’t help.

1 Like