Not thrilled with the so called dungeon finder

Oh, I don’t think I was aware you were talking about low-level. I feel you there.

Oh, I’m not saying that the traditional group building guarantees meaningful social interaction. Just that it guarantees some interaction of any sort. However in my experience, meaningful interaction is far more common with traditional group building, whereas people in dungeon finder groups (gradually) were basically just bots that would ignore anything you say.

We’re having very different experiences. There is a stark difference in my experience between traditional groups and dungeon finder groups. Not always, but extremely often. Having played in the eras that people typically consider to be modern Retail for a couple of years, I’m fairly familiar with the the way groups became after dungeon finder was implemented. I’m extremely confident that it would just go that way again if dungeon finder was implemented today. And of course, I acknowledge that I may be a bit friendlier and more helpful to people than the average random person, so for sure I could be a common denominator. But that was also true when I played Retail, and I had gotten used to simply being ignored by the “treadmill bots”.

As for GW2, I’ve never played it. I always wanted to. I remember seeing the box art when I went to stores that had games and thinking it looked sooooooo cool. But in those days, the family PC was so old and weak that it could barely play flash games. :rofl: Or maybe it was the GW1 box I’m remembering…

I mean, if you can quote them for me, I’d be happy to relinquish that one or two idiots may have said that. :stuck_out_tongue: Either way, that’s a gross misrepresentation of the general sentiment of people who don’t want dungeon finder. I have never witnessed someone saying that Retail is only bad because of dungeon finder.

I think you misunderstand; It’s a slippery slope, not a slippery slope fallacy.

It would only be fallacious to make claims of one thing leading to another if there wasn’t some sound logical reasoning for it, or strong evidence. But in this case, we have just about the strongest evidence that’s possible, without being able to time travel: we’ve seen precisely where this road leads because we’ve already experienced it before.

We know what dungeon finder feels like, we know how popular it would be, we know how human nature dictates people would tend to be less social in it. The idea that predicting the future in any capacity is fallacious is a common misconception of the slippery slope fallacy.

It doesn’t change the facts. :stuck_out_tongue: “Don’t like it, don’t use it” is the traitorous critic fallacy, and it’s not an argument. I see where you’re coming from, but I’m going to keep calling it when I see it.

I’d highly recommend you actually look up what the slippery slope fallacy is. You seem to have a cartoonish misunderstanding of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice strawmans, but they’re meaningless. We’re not having a discussion about “no changes” or whether Retail stuff belongs in Wrath or not. This thread is about the OP’s misgivings with the LFG tool, and the conversation is largely about whether dungeon finder should be in the game instead.

It must be server-specific. On Grobbulus, it’s used for all kinds of things, not just raids.

Meh. I could see how botting might be slightly easier to do in dungeon finder, but I definitely don’t think that there would be much of a noticeable difference.

It makes absolutely no sense to quote the devs immediately after they implemented the feature… Of course they have literally nothing but good things to say about it, because

1. There’s probably a lot of pressure not to publicly disagree with the dev team’s choices especially when they’re fresh
  2. They didn’t have the decade+ of experience and hindsight to show them where dungeon finder would lead the game.

And I’m not saying that there aren’t WoW team members who are positive about it today – I’m just saying that cherrypicking words from team members who were in the midst of rolling the system out is just about as useless as a quote can get as far as the argument goes. :rofl:

It can certainly be argued that dungeon finder might have been a contributing factor, but it would be impossible to say for sure, or to try and glean how much or how little it contributed… There’s literally no data to prove that dungeon finder – specifically – actually caused any loss of subs.

Dumb example. Cross-realm PvP doesn’t function at all like PvE content, and it literally needs cross-realm grouping to function the way it currently does. That’s not the case for PvE in principle.

Dumb examples. Dungeon finder teleports are literally the only fast-travel mechanic in the game (with the partial exception of PvP teleports, but again, couldn’t exist this way without it) that is completely free of costs AND infinitely useable.

Because of that, it diminishes the value and flavor of every other method of travel by trivializing distance, which is an extremely important mechanic in WoW.

Many realms have blacklists.

Does your realm not have some form of blacklist on your realm discord or do you not use discord?

And this goes both ways.

They are claiming wotlkc is losing subs purely because of no rdf.

Its all speculation on our part based on what data is available. But we know blizzard has the data, and they chose no rdf this time around. There has to be some reason for that.

Oh, I totally agree with you there. The irony of it is glaring, especially since they love to call people hypocrits (though they use the word so incorrectly I have a hard time knowing whether it’s trolling or not).

True, though I doubt even Blizzard has an extremely specific idea of dungeon finder’s impact on the subs. I basically have 3 different theories as to why they removed dungeon finder:

1. History has shown that it’s awful, so they just wanted it gone to make the game better.

1. 3.3.0+ was around the time WoW really started feeling significantly different, and since we’ve already been there and done that, so we’re taking the other path at the fork in the road just to see where it leads.

1. It would be good to keep Classic and Retail from being too similar, because that would run the risk of Retail players (who are being milked in industry record-breaking ways) migrating to Classic where there are no base game or expansion fees, drastically fewer monetizations and the community is weary of more being added.

I suppose it could be any single one of these, or some combination of them. If we were pro-dungeon finder, the ONLY possible option would be “They want to destroy the game with incompetence and troll us!” :rofl:

1 Like

This is their victim mentality. They believe anyone and everyone is specifically trying to damage their happiness and enjoyment of life in every aspect.

I dunno, I don’t feel RDF is awful. It’s kind of the same as how I describe World Buffs. Actually a great idea, but had unfortunate unforeseen consequences that changed the game in ways that some folks didn’t like. I can see how it’s a perspective thing… and even though it’s crazy to me, some people like the WB meta.

While I agree with your assertion, I’m not sure about your reasoning. It absolutely would be good to keep the two games from being the same because I don’t need another retail, I have retail for that :smiley:

But I’m not sure that retail is the money grab you think it is. I mean, sure there are things on the shop you can buy, but you in no way need to. In fact, I’ve gone my entire WoW playing life (since 2004, a few breaks here and there) without ever purchasing anything on the cash shop. The only concessions I’ve made are the 6 month sub mounts (because I was going to be subbed anyway) and the expanded editions of expansions (for the heck of it).

Never once have I truly felt pressured to buy anything extra in order to play the game and I’ve been happily getting AotC with my guild of quasi-Heroic raiders and doing M+ as high as I can (usually getting KSM/KSH on the applicable seasons, then maybe a smidge further). WoW has remained probably about the best entertainment to money ratio I’ve had in my life since it began.

This is not to say I don’t have concerns over Blizzard and the game, but none of these relate to their monetization strategy. It’s light, and optional, especially when you compare it to so many other games on the market, free to play or subscription based.

All this to say, when I try to be objective, I just can’t find anything nefarious about this. I really think keeping retail and classic separate is about providing two versions of the game that players love, and any and all changes to Classic (whether we agree with them or not) is Blizzard trying to give us exactly that.

Side note (shhh, don’t tell Blizzard), if me paying an extra subscription fee for WoW Classic meant it could have a real development team with actual funding to develop actual content and features, I would freaking pay this. I’m such a huge proponent of Classic+. The oiginal Vanilla version with extremely tactical class balance change (so we don’t have 20 warriors per raid) and then just a wash of new horizontal progression content (dungeons and raids) with Classic design principles in mind.

Getting kicked in the balls is a social interaction.

I wouldn’t advocate for it happening to anyone.

So exactly like now?

Absolutely no difference whatsoever in my experience.

It’s free to play, you should try it and feel what an actual co-op pve experience feels like when levelling.

No, I’m calling your nonsense out as a slippery slope fallacy cause there is no slope.

1 Like

Many DISCORDS have blacklists that’re seen by a minority of the servers population. They’re worthless.

No, we’re claiming the game feels dead cause people are raidlogging.

1 Like

Discords that are based on realms.

Back in origional wow there were websites with just text documents as the blacklists, not many people knew if them, but they were there.

And on the topic of fallacies :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It doesn’t matter, discords aren’t populated by 100% of a servers population.

The discord blacklists are worthless. And so were “just text documents as blacklists” back in the day.

What made a difference back in the day was server size.

So be the change you want to see. Go do dungeons and stop raid logging. Blaming the lack of rdf on your own actions is a victim mentality. Ive been doing plenty of dungeons. Usually things i dont even need. Why? Im making social connections. Im not playing as a “woe is me” mentality. I play as the change i want to see (when time permits, havent been able to play much lately due to rl, but still doing a few dungeons and raids a week while also farming what i need).

No, I’m simply not going to treat the game like a job to carry new folks through dungeons.

It’s not happening. I play games for fun. I know you don’t but that’s your choice.

That doesnt make a blacklist worthless lol.

Lets say half of the server looks at the discord blacklist for the server and you are on it. You just got 50% of the server to not want to play with you to some degree. That has lasting consequences. It makes doing a dungeon with pugs on average 50% harder to group for. Likewise having a good reputation makes grouping much easier.

I have connections to multiple guilds because of my behavior. I had a guild fall apart in sunwell because of personal drama between our tanks (it wasnt even raid drama) and because of the social connections i had built i was in a new guild with some friends within a week and had found homes for other people in my guild that died as well.

Reputation matters.

There is not a single server discord in the world that has half the pop of the server in it or anywhere close.

And out of that fraction that is ON the discord, a fraction bother to check a blacklist never mind keeping up to date on who is on it.

Discord blacklists are worthless.

Not even a little bit.

Guilds matter. RDF doesn’t affect them.

Who said treat it like a job? If you dont like to be social maybe an mmorpg designed around being social just isnt for you.

And as for carrying new folks, who said carry them? PLAY with them doesnt have to mean carry. If they are geared enough to do a heroic (and not the inflated requirements some people put on content) you are not carrying them. And it doesnt take much to be geared enough to do H+ or a naxx raid either.

Here is an idea. Take 5 of your guildies (including yourself, one tank 1 healer, the rest dps) and do a Naxx10. Let those other 5 people know all unwanted gear goes to your guild for de. And you are now farming enchanting mats for your guild while helping newer players gear. Or you can do this with H+. Both parties benifit from the activity. You get enchanting mats for you and your guild, and they get a group to gear up.

You are so focused on “what do i want” that you ignore others.

You did. It’s simply not my responsibility to make sure that new player retention is a thing.

I don’t, but I’m not actively going to seek out strangers to help them get into a situation where they can play with other people.

Smolderweb had about 80% based on server size and discord members, and that was before it started to die off.

Whitemain discord server has about 18k members, and the warcraft tavern is recording about 10k active horde on the server right now. So even if we assume 75% of the people still recorded on whitemains discord are no longer on whitemane, thats still about 50% of the games server population using the discord server.

Maybe you chose not to use server discords, but plenty of people do.

Oh I see what you’re doing.

You’re assuming that every active discord member is an active player on the server.

Yeah, this is naturally wrong, but don’t let that stop you from arguing in bad faith.

Ashbringer-EU discord has more members than the server has players, I guess that means there’s just invisible players or something on the server, not that people have joined the discord and forgotten about it or just joined for drama or any old reason you might have.