Not sure if this is the right place

I don’t usually complain about stuff, but I got a 24h ban for “Trolling” for posting a satire thread on the Classic Discussion forum.

Is Satire considered trolling?
Just so I’m not confused, because trolling usually means intentionally inciting people with inflammatory comments.

You can contest your suspension this way:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/services/665/1032/channels

2 Likes

Oh it’s already over and done with, I was just curious.
Thank you though.

Satire is in the eye of the beholder.

And Blizz is the only opinion that matters. You don’t get to plead your case.

2 Likes

It also means:

• Making non-constructive posts

Though in this case, I believe the thread you created very much could be considered:

• Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums

If you recall the post you made, do you really feel that it wasn’t baiting folks?

As Banewulf mentioned the best way to appeal such penalties would be to submit a ticket using that link, but it is also important to think how your thread would be perceived by other forum goers and our moderation team.

4 Likes

I was trying to give people a laugh because of all the spillover from the Modern/Retail players coming in to tell us that Classic is E Z MODE LOL.

I understand, Hvergelmir, I do. But imagine the number of “funny” threads that we see a day. It isn’t always apparent the intent behind them, some are truly intended to just give folks a laugh. Others designed to get a more negative reaction.

If you received a 24 hour silence, that is usually just a base warning. I hope you can understand. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh for sure.
Satire can be hard to pick up on, not talking about you(or your moderators) so people may have flagged it assuming I was trying to make them mad(them being the classic community), because of the people coming in to say “LOL CLASSIC IS EZ LOL”

Such is the problem with the written word, intent isn’t always clear and it’s easy to infer your own meaning.

2 Likes

Pro tip

/s

works pretty darn good.

3 Likes

NEVER!!! :wink:

Let’s be fair here. That would constitute well over 90% of the posts made on these forums.

Which is correct, but if you’re not sure, why silence the person? Why not simply delete their post? All a mod has to do is be having a bad day, take a small joke someone made and now the person permanently has a “trolling” record when that was never their intent. Why not just silence the ones that are blatantly obvious?

1 Like

The delete posts because they violate Blizzard’s policies, not because they’re having a bad day.

Blizzard can’t take the time to figure out someone’s intent.

The forums are a privilege, not a right.

11 Likes

Not necessarily. The Code of Conduct is vague enough to accommodate for interpretation on-the-spot. Words like “can” or “may” are put there for a reason.

Feel free to review:

That’s rather insulting. Would you like to have people say that about you all the time?

Maybe to them yours was blatantly obvious?

3 Likes

How is that insulting? I’m not following you.

My what?

It’s vague to stop folks from rule lawyer their way out of an account action. You’re not going to find a loophole to get away with what you want.

6 Likes

My mistake. The OP’s post that was actioned.

You’re saying that the Mod can’t be objective. That they let their feelings affect whether or not they do their job properly.

2 Likes

That’s not always a bad thing. Notice how Vrakthris said the post was not constructive. Neither are 90% (generous estimate) of the posts made on here.

I never claimed a mod couldn’t be. I said they can choose to. And people do that all the time. Mods are humans too. They have bad days. I’m not blaming them for that but with vague rules, it accommodates to someone and allows them to infract if they feel like it. It’s the company’s choice to make it that way but it’s a slippery slope.

I saw similar at a company I worked at once. In their rulebook, it said if you’re caught sleeping on the job, you “may” be fired immediately. One guy got caught twice in 1 week, claimed he must have “partied too hard” and was never fired. Another guy was seen nodding off due to new medication and was fired that day.

Still grinding that ax, I see.

5 Likes

Precisely why they have an appeals process. So a new set of eyes can take a look.

How did we devolve into this anyway? The OP asked a question, acknowledged the answer, accepted it and even admitted tone and intent can be hard to understand via written word only.

They even got a suggestion to help convey this via /s in the post.

5 Likes