Not sure if this is the right place

Armchair lawyering.

I remember a certain politician arguing the ambiguity of “is”.

Blizzard is the sole arbiter in this. You don’t get a vote.

Good news though! You can appeal

5 Likes

And? What does that have to do with Blizzard. As well, you don’t know what other things may have come in to why one was fired and one was not.

You are. You are saying that they moderate based on how they feel on any given day. Most topics aren’t original, no matter what the poster thinks. The Mods have seen most of them before. They very likely have a list that says what was done about the topic previously. It would help keep emotions out of the decision. As any decision they make can be reviewed, and likely result in discipline if they have a habit of bad calls, I really don’t see them giving punishment because they are having a “bad day”.

4 Likes

I know this has already been locked, but I wanted to cover a couple of things from your post, Greyhide.

Taking all forums into account, I don’t believe it is that high, but I get your point. While we do some proactive moderation the primary source of moderation is in response to reports that are made.

Technically speaking, a thread simply created to “give folks a laugh” isn’t necessarily adhering to policy either. Truth be told, we actually do delete posts instead of applying a penalty. It happens fairly often as a matter of fact.

Unfortunately, simply deleting a post doesn’t usually get the point across. You’ll often see reposts of the deleted topic, or posts questioning why it was deleted, etc… which ends up causing us additional work to then moderate the additional topics/posts and escalate the penalty from a simple warning to a more severe penalty.

Contrary to popular belief, our staff bases their actions on policy, not mood. Of course, we are human, we do make mistakes on occasion, which is the entire point of the appeal process. If you believe a Moderator may have made an error you can appeal the decision, a second Moderator will review the post and the action taken and if they disagree with the original finding can overturn that penalty, expunging it from the record.

People tend to be fairly clever and can easily mask their intent so it may not look blatantly obvious. As I said, our Moderation team does more than simply silencing an account. They may delete a post/thread that they feel is slightly overstepping, they may edit out bad language to allow a thread to still continue. It depends on the situation.

I believe it is because you are claiming that our Moderators cannot remain professional and act based on policy and are instead mercurial in nature and given to unpredictable actions.

However, there is a difference between the phrase “made a mistake” and “having a bad day”. One denotes intent, the other is simply the circumstance of being human.

I think that about covers it. Thanks all.

8 Likes