Not playing classic

There are going to be features that exist that didn’t exist in Vanilla. Loot trading, Battle net functions, the modern API. It isn’t going to be exactly like it was in Vanilla.

So many people on these forums keep adding to their “list of things that will stop me from playing Classic” that it’s hard to take them seriously anymore.

Interesting, because none of those things were things I mentioned as reasons I wouldn’t play.

Loot trading more or less was in vanilla; it was just done through GM tickets.
The battlenet integration is necessary to authentication and isn’t really a game feature.
The modern API is also necessary, because the game is being run on the modern client. I don’t really care about this so much because we’d have different and additonal addons than we did in vanilla, anyway.

Edit: for what it’s worth, I’d prefer none of those changes were made. I wish the game was being hosted on the old client with no battle net, no loot trading, and the old API. But none of those changes, even though I don’t like them, are things I dislike enough to make me not play.

Also, how is any of that reason for me to go away and not discuss Classic?

The issue is you and many other people come in and discuss private servers and how they’re doing everything “right”. I understand they exist and I have used them as an example to draw upon before based on what I’ve read on the classic subreddit from people who play them.

Private servers were once upon a time against ToS to discuss and play, unsure if this is still the case.

So you coming on here saying that if Blizzard messes up you’re going to just go back to playing private servers may influence others to do the same. That is bad. You’re indirectly leading people to think about breaking the ToS.

If you’re going to “just go play private servers if Blizzard messes up”, how invested are you then? There are folks here who won’t play private servers no matter what Blizzard gives us. We’re not going to tuck tail and just go play on some private server being run by whomever.

It’s called Blizzards legal standing has changed having a current product which does have an effect in certain countries where it is currently legal to host a server.

Not to mention if it pulls off enough people they will be basically dead anyways. There is not a single system they have discussed that would drive most players away from Classic. Based on what we know, the only reason to go back to a private server is the fact someone wants it free.

I am eagerly looking forward for the day that Classic is playable.

Found a post where I did that, but edited my post a couple hours later after coming to my senses:

That said, I think most people will still play; the ones who won’t play at all are the ones who don’t care enough to complain.

Just my take, anyway.

This is probably the biggest real chance for me. I’m ok with the starting zone having it, but that’s it.

If I don’t play Classic, this is the only currently foreseeable reason.

No, we come in to discuss that Blizzard might potentially be doing some things wrong.

And not “wrong” as in “I don’t like it,” but “wrong” as in “it wasn’t this way in vanilla.” Sharding is a good example of that. So are guild banks, transmog, LFR/LFG, barbers, flying mounts, dual specs, and anything else people have suggested be added to Classic.

We, or at least I, like to remark upon the irony that the official Classic servers hosted by Blizzard might potentially be less accurate than private servers, which should really never be the case.

Yes, it would be real nice and convenient for you to be able to shut us up. Unfortunately, a large number of players interested in Classic are people who wanted vanilla, and continued to play it the only way they could: through private servers.

If it were against the ToS to discuss and/or play private servers (they can’t really prove the latter very easily), then most of the people they’re trying to appeal to with Classic would be banned.

These forums HAVE to allow that kind of discussion.

No, it’s good. Maybe if enough people choose not to play, or at least express that they won’t, Blizzard might consider not implementing those changes, or revert them at a later date to draw us back in.

Uh… very invested, obviously. That’s why I don’t want them to mess it up. Duh.

I pity the folks who would pay $15/mo to play a game they don’t enjoy.

Good for you? Some of us will, so what is your point?

Also, once again, why should I go away and not discuss Classic just because I don’t want changes and express that in no unclear terms on these forums?

Perhaps, but that’s a weaker argument to make when there’s changes to the game. It’s not exactly the same version of the product at that point. Hell, Classic will be hosted on the modern client, but simply using old data.

If a country is willing to make distinctions between antiquated versions of games being hosted versus live versions, I think they’d be able to recognize the difference between Classic and private servers.

Not really. Private servers won’t die even if Classic is perfect, because as you said: “someone wants it free.”

And Classic already isn’t perfect, based on the changes that have been confirmed by Blizzard, so there’s already more reasons than just that.

True, but no single system has to singlehandedly drive away most players. It’s several systems all chipping away small chunks of the player base each.

Everyone has different limits to what they’re willing to tolerate in Classic. The more changes you make to it, the more chances you have at driving people away.

Same, barring any sudden “lol, here’s LFR”-esque changes. While I’m not really expecting anything like that, I wouldn’t be that surprised.

Relax ur a crazy gnome!

I just reread the thread.

You said you’re worried about them adding transmog? Why? The data for transmog isn’t even in the 1.12 data. Same with LFR or LFD. Same with guild banks.

I agree with you on those things, they shouldn’t be in there. I must have missed your first post because I skip all people who are worried about transmog because it’s so far out there, it shouldn’t even be a worry for anyone. Don’t even look at those threads anymore asking for transmog/guildbanks or whatever.

I wouldn’t worry about them changing the game. You’re going to play here if you’re fine with sharding for the starting zones, which they seem to be leaning toward.

Seems I misinterpreted what we were arguing about. You want to play private servers because of transmog and those other silly requests people make. That’s why you kept saying private servers were more accurate.

Apologies.

No, I didn’t. Read again.

Same with sharding.

I would, though. That’s the whole point of me commenting on this thread in the first place: to give my perspective on the issue of people saying they wouldn’t play Classic if X feature was added, as someone who has actually said such things.

I would worry about them changing the game, because Blizzard changing the game is precisely what led to me quitting WoW in the first place and wanting Classic so badly.

Assuming no other changes, yeah, probably.

Nice strawman. I never said that at all. Try again.

Yes… you did?

Are you just here picking fights?

The reason you see no enforcement on this subject (with the possible exception of advertisement) is because they are deliberately trying to bring us back into the fold. There is no point in attempting to suppress common knowledge.

That makes sense.

I just hope after Classic releases, they return the forums back to requiring a subscription to post. Those who want to stick with private servers can stick with them and those who want to support Classic can do so here.

Clearly your reading comprehension needs work.

I’m saying if they add that, I won’t play. That is an if then statement.

I never expressed any concern over whether that would actually happen or not.

In all fairness I would just say I and not we. When you say we you bundle yourself in with the countless other players from pservers who don’t know their ask from their elbow.

Not the ones who come on saying sharding,lfd,lfr isnt vanilla cause no ish we don’t need to play a pserver to know that. Im talking about the ones who’ve come in and said spawn rates, proc rates, summonings,pet mechanics, drop rates and pretty much everything else is wrong with Classic because they refuse to believe their pserver is the one that os actually all wrong.

I was simply changing the wording of their statement.

Even then, I’d say most of the people arguing against changes aren’t saying private servers got everything right, but rather that they don’t want Blizzard to get things wrong.

I’ve not seen any of that. The closest I’ve come to seeing anything like that is people arguing over various mechanics like the warlock pet summoning, or debuff limit.

Some guy earlier told me that BGs gave experience in vanilla, but there was no indication he or any of the others came from private servers. If anything, it just sounds like people remembering incorrectly due to it being so long ago and having grown too familiar with things implemented or changed later on.

In fairness how invested are you, if you are already currently paying a sub for not-classic wow? People who are not subbed have a choice to pay $15 a month to play classic. You on the other hand are paying nothing more than you already do. You’ve no tail to tuck. No skin in the game that wasn’t already being given for another product.

Listen mate, im going to play the crap out of classic( if they do have an australian server)

no, you dont need an active sub. post posted, point proven

I’m saying if they add that, I won’t play.

I doubt you have the conviction. 100%.

You’ll pay, play, crying all the way®

But I hope you do have the conviction to stick to your word.