Not all Sylvanas fans are simps

Last I heard, his posting sub expired and he just hasn’t felt like resubbing to keep posting this time.

1 Like

wanna know what upsets me the most Thadeus, stuff like this

Coming from Sylvanas haters. “just increase the size of her chest then all will be forgiven.” People have dismissed Sylvanas fans who objectify her but don’t check the haters objectify her too.

6 Likes

Hey…
If the authors are not taking her seriously, then why should the rest of us?

My contempt for her is about her character, disproportionate spotlight and plot armor.

While there’s more to Sylvanas than her looks, unfortunately the fact remains that some fans and devs finding Sylvanas attractive is part of the reason for her plot armor and getting so much focus in the story (maybe also given the guy in charge of her story for years and his "proclivities). I don’t agree with the “just increase the size of her chest then all will be forgiven” crowd, but I know where they got that idea from.

2 Likes

yes but while some criticism of her character is valid, the “just increase the size of her chest” isn’t criticsm it’s sexism. You made a broad statement that I only interject myself in threads that criticize Sylvanas. I interject myself in threads where criticism crosses the line into sexism.

The fact that you just casually brush off sexism as part of the course, that’s an attitude that the entire comminuty needs to work on. The community needs to do better and be better in light of Blizzard’s treatment of women within it’s company. The frat boy mentality trickles down to it’s community, from your comments last week I thought you’d understand that.

“the writers don’t treat her with respect so why should I?” is the most glaringly obvious comment that this is part of Blizzard’s internalized culture. Thank you Dalrond for being a perfect example of what’s wrong with this community.

Just so you know, I’m gonna be here to stand up to it, please don’t misunderstand that as “offense to criticism”

7 Likes

I mean, just the fact that her chest size is a argument is just wrong. Yeah, maybe some weird people like this about her but why shouldn’t people be able to like her just because of her character.

Why can people like edgy/evil male character just because they are cool without associating it with their physic but somehow whenever someone like a edgy/evil female character, it can only be about her body. Didn’t we just redeem a evil edgy character with plot armor in legion? But somehow it is ok to like Illidan character but not Sylvanas…

At this point, should we delete every female character who had many focus and say that they should all die since the only reason they aren’t is because ‘’ player and dev just find them attractive!!!’’. At this point we should also delete Tyrande and Jaina since both of them escape them many time and are only alive ‘‘because player and dev find them attractive!!!’’ by the way you are thinking.

found the simp

1 Like

That should be easy - only simps use the word simp. So if the word is in the title, the person who used it is a simp.

And so are you, because you used it.

And so am… wait…

NOoo0Oo0oOooo0oOoo !

Simp is a curse word and Cursewords is a siiiiiiiiiiimp.

2 Likes

I just liked her character leading up to Legion. Her sex appeal was a good bonus but not the main factor. The fact that she seemed damn near disinterested in romance kind of added to her appeal because she was so dedicated at surviving out of almost sheer spite in the universe that gave her such an injustice was awesome.

I miss the dark lady dearly, the character she is now is not the same and not how I would’ve liked it and by far. She would’ve made a good antagonistic warchief but with enough subtlety to not initiate a rebellion like garrosh instead of this hippie council bullcrap

1 Like

Ugh…

/10char

2 Likes

Objection, speculation.

2 Likes

(reposted an edited version since Big Brother moderators didn’t like my last post. Very suspicious that they chose to remove it)

You’ve clearly taken my message out of context. I said Sylvanas’ looks are, quote, part of the reason. Not the whole reason (and the fact remains that, for most of WoW, her story was one of Afrasiabi’s pet projects).

I don’t think much of Illidan either, but I dislike him less than I dislike Sylvanas. And I do think there’s Illidan fans who like how he’s buff and perpetually shirtless and that might factor into his fanbase too.

Look at all the fan-art/fan-fics of Sylvanas compared to other WoW characters, along with dev interviews, and see if you can tell me it’s merely “speculation” after that.

The implicit conflation of fanfiction and smut is troubling.

I have 0 doubt there’s a lot of sexy fanart (though in my experience night elves and draenei feature more prominently in the smut side of the web), but I’m genuinely curious what dev interviews give this vibe

2 Likes

If smutty fan-art exists, then it’s logical to say smutty fan-fics also exist. Saying that fanfiction is being conflated with smut is a false dichotomy. While not all fanfiction is smut, smutty fan-fics do exist.

I’ve heard a lot about how popular Draenei are, but when it comes to fan-art of specific canon characters, even I know that Sylvanas is one of the more popular choices.

What makes you think I was brushing off sexism? I was explaining why I don’t like Sylvanas, and we’ve butted heads over the morality of Sylvanas’ actions before.

Ok but I’m not even being difficult, the idea of interviews touching even tangentially on “Sylvie hot tho” sound hilarious and I want them in my life. Where they be?

I mean, not to be pedantic, but it seemed like “there’s a lot of fanfic” was by itself evidence for Sylvanas surviving because boobs…or something…and I have a hard time seeing that connection being made unless we make arguably unkind assumptions about fanfiction and smut.

1 Like

I see what you mean now.

Listen to how the devs - especially Afrasiabi - talk about Sylvanas in interviews, watch their facial expressions and body language when they’re talking about her.

One example is the infamous “Why are women drawn like Victoria’s Secret models?” interview. While the question was a bit disingenuous (nearly all men and women in offical WoW are are drawn buff or curvy; men are all drawn like models from Abercrombie and Fitch or Mr Universe… but that wans’t called out), the flippant response was telling.

I’m citing Sylvanas’ popularity in fan-art and fan-fics as evidence that some fans finding Sylvanas attractive is part of the reason (emphasis on “part of the reason”, don’t be obtuse and put words in my mouth) she’s being propped up so much in the story; it doesn’t mean I approve of it, I’m stating an observation.

You realize that wasn’t done for the benefit of female viewers right? Male or female this game was written for the male gaze and what men find attractive in both men and women. That also adds weight to this debate.

When there has been characters written for the female gaze the male fanbase is threatened by them. If you are interested there’s a bunch of scholarly articles explaining the difference between the male and female gaze. Illidan for example: written for the male gaze. Flynn Fairwind is a good example of a character written for the female gaze. At no point does Flynn need to be shirtless to be attractive it’s mostly about his personality and respect for women.

I didn’t want to stir this pot to begin with but it’s a whole lot deeper than “you get to look at buff dudes too so quit complaining.” Buff dudes is a male fantasy. Early wow was built around and catered to a male fantasy, yes it had everything to do with gaming culture at the time, it’s slowly being phased out for the better.

It’s not disingenous to ask that women in game not be sexually objectified for the sole benefit of the viewer. This comment alone is why I doubt you. You defend ingrained sexism or have inherently sexist attitudes and have normalized them.

There have been studies done that people respect women less if they see them as a sexual.object. i imagine that also lends itself to Sylvanas’s unpopularity because like you pointed out she’s very popular in rule 34. It’s a double edged sword. I think a lot of her haters also sexually objectify her and can’t respect her for that fact alone: she’s no longer a character but an object, when she acts like a character and not an object it’s threatening to the fantasy.

In a way we are all Sylvanas simps. Her critics most of all.

5 Likes

Sometimes I fantasize about putting my hands on that broad chest and rubbing over those washboard abs. That muscled Illidari bod is just…

1 Like