No mo’ fomo

you shouldve got a notice that i liked that post, and youll see the like is gone now

maybe try closing your browser and opening it back up, but you can totally unclick a heart

Like I said, some people are self entitled and want rewards because they have FOMO. FOMO, like others have stated, is a personal problem.

Trophies can be meaningful to certain people. They exist in competitive environments. WoW is now a competitive E-Sports game. And yes there are limited-time only rewards. Just like the super bowl ring comparison, if you missed out on a certain super bowl it doesn’t inherently give you or anyone the right to just suddenly get one. If you did, it would undermine it’s value and in a sense steal the accomplishment of the individual that actually earned it.

Good thing you can’t purchase superbowl rings.

I can’t. They need to stop taking so much out of the game. FOMO should just be a fear of missing out when it’s easier / guaranteed to get. Like this ookin slime cat mount. Finish all the fated raids on normal (grrr!) and above during the season and you’re guaranteed the mount and the achievement. What should happen if you miss out is th slime cat just becomes harder to get, like it becomes like a 1% drop rate on a certain boss or like you said there should be a way to do current content for a currency to buy older stuff (though it could be argued this already exists with gold and the black market auction house, but the BMAH has extremely low supply).

Basically, I don’t think anything should be taken out of the game. I just think things should be made harder to get if you miss out on the original limited time. It gives people more things to do with next to zero extra dev time and it means content doesn’t go to waste.

2 Likes

You are. It’s a seasonal reward. It should stay as a seasonal reward. Even the most average of players can easily get KSM in around a month if they care. The seasons this expansion were way to long. IMO a season should last maybe around 5 months.

Telling people to accept that it’s a seasonal reward is absurd to some, apparently. When people say “FOMO is bad for the game!” it just sounds like whining to me. I smell jealousy and self-entitlement.

I think Tom Brady’s super bowl ring is really cool. I wasn’t playing in the NFL at the time though… so I deserve to have it to. Why let Tom Brady revel in that success if we can’t all revel in that success? GOSH!

Cause FOMO is a marketing gimic not a game dev tool. Make the game better instead of using etsy / instagram style tactics to drive sales of a game. It’s the difference between rewarding players for actually achieving feats of strength and developing their skills as a player versus hey I showed up at the right time on the right day.

Thunderfury is a good example. When I farmed bindings on my warrior, it took 26 weeks. This was pre-legendary-transmog, but warriors had a glyph at that time that would let you “transmog legendaries” using a shout. I couldn’t farm it on 30 dif toons like some mounts now, I HAD to run on THAT warrior. I put in the time, I got the reward. It’s still there, you can still go farm it, just as I did. In fact now it’s easier. By your logic, TF bindings should be unobtainable now because it would diminish my 26 week grind.
In the same respect, by your logic, I don’t deserve that TF because I didn’t grind for it in Vanilla, even though I cleared MC 26 times across 26 weeks. There are players who have farmed Shackles in ABT for 1000+ runs. That’s a huge level of dedication to getting one mount. Those players likely invested more time into that then some of the players who obtained it when Mythic ABT was live.

The point you don’t want to acknowledge though, is that many items can be purchased on the BMAH. Like Naxx T3. Your superbowl ring that you will go down on the sinking ship with, is like Naxx T3. You had to be there to get it. Except you can buy it. Your ring has NOTHING to do with FOMO. One day maybe you’ll figure that out.

FOMO is bad because it’s a lazy sales tool that hinders the progress of the game, and actually hurts sales in the long run. It’s great for creating an immediate desire, but players will lose interest when they feel like their accomplishments are meaningless when we’re on season 45 and the season reward fades into obscurity. It’s not a sustainable tool. The proof is in the fact that Fortnite was the first game to really drive home the seasonal approach and its already losing steam.

This was never advertised as limited-time only when it was originally made. They just gutted it. That’s not the same thing.

They realized later that they shouldn’t have removed it, and brought it back through BMAH because they refused to bring back classic Naxxramas.

This is simply your opinion, though. It doesn’t change the fact that someone should get a reward just because they weren’t there to earn it. That’s not how life works.

No one is saying to be given it for free.
I’m curious. What’s your stance on the BMAH then?

I think the BMAH is a gold dump tool that Blizzard implemented into the game. I actually don’t like it.

The fact that there ARE mounts that can spawn on the BMAH that became unobtainable (and were advertised as such) is silly and I don’t promote it at all.

Alright. Well at least you’re consistent.
I do agree that the BMAH was a poorly executed gold dump.
I guess the other reason that Seasonal reward becoming unobtainable, is that they’re really not that exclusive.
Like the Shackles are still obtainable, but Slime Kitty will be unobtainable (or at least we assume it will be unobtainable).
Shackles was far harder to obtain than Slime Kitty. So that’s where FOMO breaks down again for me, because it’s being used to things that are just kind of silly to be unobtainable in the first place.

1 Like

Hmm yea, I think it would give people another reason to run more mythics, adding some good players back into the pool of people doing them to get rewards they may have missed out on for whatever reason at the time.

Well you are, because it’s not the end of the world if you miss out on something. Life goes on. Is it perfect? No. Is anything? It’s just a game at the end of the day.

I don’t like stuff being removed but I can’t do anything about it so I don’t let it bother me, neither should anyone else.

As long as there’s a robust collection of always available mounts*, I don’t see the problem in also having a relative handful that add the “I was there” flavor on top. In this proportion they are adding to game richness, and switching them all to yet more perpetuals would be a net loss.

• or pets, xmog, toys, titles, achieves, etc.

I mean I think that’s fair, but at least it IS being advertised for being limited. Feeling FOMO is a personal issue, though. And to tell someone that they can’t enjoy an accomplishment that they earned in the game without making them feel like crap or labeling them as a self-entitled special snowflake is also silly, which is what some do (not that you did, just stating a fact). A limited time reward that’s advertised such is simply a limited time reward, regardless of what obstacle that is used to obtain it. Either way, bring back those rewards, whether that’s through BMAH or other means, shouldn’t happen. Because then it becomes false advertising and it undermines the accomplishment of the individual that achieved it. Trophies exist and they are an acceptable component of society. That’s why we have them. But what I think is wrong, is when people want something SIMPLY because they are feeling FOMO. “Hey he has something cool and I want it! That’s not fair! Gimme gimme!”

The solution SHOULD be that they get over their personal issue of having FOMO and continue to strive towards rewards that they like. There are plenty of things that were limited time only that HAVEN’T been brought back that I think are really cool. But, I’ve accepted that I will never have them and when I see something that I think is worth while striving for, I go for it. It’s simple.

I’ve accepted that I’ll never have a super bowl ring. I’ll never have $100,000 nor would I ever spend that amount on one either. And I’m definitely not an NFL player, obviously. But I think having one would be awesome. But will I ever get one? No. And y’know? That’s okay!

Fair enough. I think we’re mostly on the same page. I’m all for reward based on merit. As long as it makes sense. The way the Mythic raid mounts work is a good system, and so is the PvP saddles. Both require a dramatic amount of effort to obtain the reward. As far as bragging rights go, because I’ve seen this argument a lot in conjunction with this topic, the only real feat of strength is a World’s First in this day and age. I can’t say I ever see another players mount or armor and go woooooooooow you’re really good at the game. Really it all just blends in, and maybe once in a blue moon I see an obscure weapon / shoulders and go, hey thats neat where is that from? I couldn’t care less about the player themself though. Between cross server, cross faction, and 18+ years on the game, it’s all random faces in a sea of nobodies I’ll never see again.

As a side note, I’ve also played a very large amount of Destiny2, which heavily utilizes a seasonal type system. The main difference though, is that in Destiny2 it encompasses guns, which don’t fade out quite the same as how WoW gear does. Every so often a meta will change, or a stat tweak occurs, and suddenly an unobtainable gun becomes Meta. If you didn’t happen to be there when it was released, your gameplay suffers greatly. It actually became so bad they were forced to implement a system to obtain the guns with a token. You were able to get maybe 1-5 tokens a seasonal. You got one for free for showing up basically, and the other 1-4 we’re heavily based on skill. While that differs from WoW where most rewards are cosmetic, I can see how when taken to the extreme it can hinder gameplay drastically.

1 Like

If you play football later you could possibly get a ring.

Thats what i am asking for here as a compromise.

Sometimes aotc is a slog depending on fight tuning, rng gear, player competence. Sometimes a tier blows

Why should i feel forced to play for just a mount? I want the mount, i dont like this tier, its not something one should “get over” i pay money for the game lol.

At the end of the day no other game ive ever played had content disappear simply cause time went by. Why should a mmo be like that?

Theres got to be a better compromise.

Right, just like if I do M+ at a later time I can get the mount relevant for THAT season. But you shouldn’t be able to get old mounts.

Just like if I play football at a later time, I can’t get a ring from the past. Do you get what I’m saying now?

Then a compromise would be to let me pick the mount i want.

I have all four SL fart cloud ksm mounts. Id rather pick something else.

Im more for player agency then arbitrary rules that curtail my rewards.

So Id rather nothing removed and you can earn via doing equivalent content to keep some prestige. But thats why we gonna agree to disagree i guess lol

That’s not how it works, my friend. If I win a super bowl, hypothetically, I shouldn’t be able to just claim a ring from 1999. If you weren’t there, it’s tough luck. If you didn’t earn it, it’s tough luck. Blizzard releasing relevant mounts that you don’t enjoy is a separate and personal issue.

2 Likes