No Justice for the Kaldorei (9.1 Spoilers)

Good Lord. I am away for 5 months and this is still going on?

5 Likes

I didn’t really get that impression myself aside from their somewhat reduced presence in already-existing Vanilla questing zones, which is quite similar to what befell the Draenei in the Alliance as a byproduct of their BC introduction. Granted, I leveled my Horde character in WoD.

I’m certainly not trying to undermine your player fantasy. That’s the bill of goods that Blizzard sold you before you rolled the character (which itself I want to put a pin in), and no one should be taking that away. But I’ve also explained my difficulties with the figure by now.

Not explicitly, no - but the argumentation is pretty clear and the “first time” meme - which is used to make fun of someone complaining about something that the person who makes the meme feels like some other group has gone through before - evidences that. It’s also an extremely common argument, and tactic to try and get Night Elf players to stop raising their concerns.

We’ve had eleven years of bad content - it wasn’t just BFA, where the race was repeatedly humiliated at the hands of your faction in a manner that none of us could stop because Blizzard willed it. I respect that we’re not the only ones with issues, but we do have a rather unique issue that your side of the faction divide in particular likes to pretend isn’t happening.

You don’t know that. No one knows which way or the other Ashenvale is, and anyone who claims otherwise is letting their headcanon get ahead of the fact pattern.

Game canon rules unless specifically contravened by Word of God. As described in “A Good War” Saurfang’s forces did not remain in Ashenvale but moved into Darkshore as Ashenvale was not the objective, simply something in the way.

The person who’s let their headcanon run amuck is the one with the insatiable need to interpret everything as part of a personal persecution complex.

2 Likes

The “Woe is Me Squad” will never stop beating this dead zhevra.

2 Likes

I’m aware that they moved through it, and I’m aware of the mission tables. However, the Darkshore warfront implies a logistical situation that suggests that the Horde was able to move supplies there without significant problems. Nathanos also described it as a stronghold. Following that, the Horde were again forced to defend Orgrimmar, which, going the other direction, doesn’t suggest a strong incentive for loyalist forces to remain there. We also don’t know what the council has done since.

There’s too much information in flux, sorry. As for something about a persecution complex, you’re starting to sound like you resemble an accusation.

1 Like

Trust me, I keep an eye out for blood elf NPCs, and the only core Horde race I see less often as background soldiers are the Pandaren. Background blood elf NPCs are uncommon unless the content is specifically led by blood elf characters, such as the Horde campaign on the Isle of Thunder. Granted, the fact that tons of players choose to play Blood Elves obscures this a bit, but as NPCs they’re not that common. I’m not trying to argue that they’re worse off than other races, just that they aren’t as omnipresent in the story as their playerbase might suggest.

Good, then we’re in agreement on that point. My point is that the specific casualty figure has been used in the current patch as part of content involving Kael’thas. The theme of “we were on the brink of extinction but survived despite our foes’ best efforts” is also a major part of the heritage armor quest, along with honoring the catastrophic casualties. As you say, that’s the bill of goods sold to anyone who chooses to play a Blood Elf, and this more recent content has further developed that. Retconning the percentage of casualties now would undermine that development. I completely understand why Kaldorei fans wouldn’t want to see the same sort of story happen to their characters, because that’s not what you wanted to play when you chose to play a Night Elf. For Blood Elves, it’s been there since their introduction to WoW, so it’s baked into their character fantasy as part of the appeal. I’m honestly starting to wonder if that might be a small part of the root conflict between Night Elf fans and Blood Elf fans in these arguments about Teldrassil; the same sort of event that rightfully angers Night Elf players who were drawn to their power as a faction is a key part of what made the Blood Elves appealing to their players.

Ethriel’s comment about Blizzard taking away Night Elves as a playable race was extreme. Pointing that out by using the existence of the Blood Elves as a playable race is not the same as arguing that Night Elf fans shouldn’t be concerned about Blizzard’s incredibly disappointing handling of all things Kaldorei from the War of Thorns onward. I certainly do not subscribe to that argument, and I did not interpret Aurirel’s response to Ethriel’s specific claim about removing playable Night Elves to fit that argument either.

I can’t speak for Drahliana, but for my own taste and as someone with two hunter alts, any hunter-appropriate mail set that doesn’t look like I skinned something and crawled inside is going to be ranked in the top half of transmogs I can wear. No shame to those who enjoy that, it’s just not my thing. As the Darkshore mail set fits those parameters, it is therefore not bad in my opinion. It’s still not a substitute for proper heritage armor, though, and I do hope Blizzard finishes up the heritage armor sets sooner rather than later for the sake of everyone who hasn’t gotten them yet. Unfortunately I do feel like Night Elves, along with Forsaken, Humans, and Orcs will probably get theirs last specifically because of the existence of the warfront sets, and that’s a shame.

3 Likes

And it will go on until things are settled properly. You can count on that. Whether that will ever happen is a different question entirely.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure that Blizzard’s idea of Night Elf heritage armor is going to be the classic Bikini set from the Vanilla cinematic… so I’m not looking that forward to it.

But that would fit the race. Instead, if there was a heritage armor, it would be something very bulky and out of place for Night Elves. If Blizz actually created a heritage armor for Night Elves, the classic cinematic armor would’ve been good.

I’d expect something ridiculous like this:

Which they already kind of made, as that’s basically the armor that a bunch of archer NPC’s were wearing in the War of Thorns scenarios.

It…really looked silly in-game. The Vanilla cinematic kinda makes the concept work visually with the nature of the overall prerendered aesthetic allowing for it to be properly contoured rather than just a flat texture (and it was arguably supposed to represent a “player” druid in special armor anyway, rather than just a random night elf in traditional Sentinel garb), but on the player models it just looked like an army of night elves awkwardly standing around in non-functional underwear that was drawn onto them and didn’t fit properly.

2 Likes

I always figured the ideal nelf and orc heritage armor set would be clicking “hide armor” on most of your transmog slots. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

God, you are annoying

3 Likes

I’m running my Light-Froged Draenei Warrior through that Warfront specifically to collect that set.

For saying what happens in the story and not accepting this bs? lol

You do the same :poop: on reddit and (I bet) in real life too. It’s insufferable. Especially considering that most of what you say is headcanon.

I was about to reply that the real hope here would be that we’d get a questline with good content.

Then I remembered Seeds of Faith.

For those who don’t remember, there were a bunch of leader stories that came out during the Cataclysm era exploring some of the things that were going on at the time. One of the bigger things - the elephant in the room if you ask me - was the Horde’s invasion of Ashenvale, which, rather than just giving the Horde more content in an already contested zone, chose to do so in a way that made them look dominant, even though the Night Elves canonically won the fights there. These were the days when the “Wait and See” crowd were filling my ear with all kinds of overoptimistic predictions about how we’d one day hit back and how the wonderful new phasing technology meant that in future patches, the wins we allegedly got would be shown as new quests took the place of the old ones.

It’s been eleven years, I’m still waiting to hit back over that.

Anyway, I figured that, especially because other leader short stories addressed things like the war, then clearly this was an area where either Tyrande or Malfurion would have to in some way grapple with it. Instead, we were handed a forgettable, nothingburger short story about Feathermoon Stronghold, Shandris having to be rescued by Tyrande from it, and of Malfurion having to come to both of their aid at the end after he previously was somewhat aloof to the idea.

Or at least that’s what I remember. I can’t be bothered to look it up because to me it was a huge disappointment. It’s not just that they found a way to portray more losing situations (recall that Feathermoon Stronghold was moved in Cataclysm, this would be because Naga overran the old one) - but that they sidestepped the Horde invasion that I wanted more action against entirely. I would think that people pining for a Night Elf heritage quest would want something like that, or at least something that doesn’t concentrate on yet more loss and tragedy (that’s also a bat they’ve been hitting us with for eleven years) - but, as much as I have been trying lately to not simply give in to blunt pessimism here, they’re not going to get it.

While I’m going down memory lane here - I’m going to slightly pivot. Because as much as I disagree with the ‘stone cold certainty’ of Ethriel’s posts, there’s something I might want to highlight so long as we’re talking about pessimism. I want to share some initial impressions that I grabbed at the time that the War of the Thorns was coming out.

http^s://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showpost.php?p=1620764&postcount=20

(By the way, Fojar is Ainhin - no, his argumentation hasn’t changed in the past few years)

This illustrates the issue with responding to extreme pessimism where Night Elf fans are concerned. I can say with certainty now that the people that I quoted were absolutely and certainly right, and the people who said that it would be motivation for an eventual revenge were wrong.

As terrible as it is, it does kind of make me feel vindicated.
(Content warning: Language)

But now that we’ve established that: people have thrown around the word “persecution complex” or other such nonsense to describe such pessimism, but the hurdle you have to get over here is that in general terms, the pessimists have a much better track record than the optimists on this point (not that this wasn’t already the case when BFA started). I think the ball is in your court at this point to demonstrate why they’re wrong, instead of regarding them as wrong by default, treating them as insane, or otherwise failing to address the demoralization that acts as a root cause to this.

5 Likes

give 1 example.

Statements on the proportions of Night Elves killed or obliterated in the Maw are two. Despite what I just said, you do, as I said, introduce a layer of stone-cold certainty to things that the canon doesn’t actually support, and those are not predictions but statements purporting to represent facts.

3 Likes

You have yet to prove me wrong, and as long as my statements haven’t been proven otherwise, we only have the ingame numbers as a reference. As for the Night Elves killed, how many do you expect to be alive after their 3 zones were wiped on top of there being “far too few” Night Elves left? Exactly, barely any.

Furthermore, we also know that the Night Elf souls are specifically at the place where the jailer obliterates souls.

Yes I have, and we have had this conversation on Elegy already. We discussed previously that the “far too few” comment was an in-the-moment reaction from Anduin, who was in no position to know enough to make that statement. We discussed the pictures depicting the evacuation and the text describing its scale. We discussed that the army was largely intact based on the questing and the books. These are points we have absolutely gone over, and I’m not going to drop them.

Ardenweald’s questing, further, if you want to get persnickety about counting the number that were in the amalgam versus the number that are released from the Maw, isn’t in your favor either. Stop overreaching with these claims.

1 Like