No Justice for the Kaldorei (9.1 Spoilers)

Lol ‘Whatever it takes’

I think, now this is just headcanon based on personal readings of the lore, but I think it was also a backhanded compliment to Sylvanas because she lived in Alleria’s shadow, hence she was the Moon to Alleria’s Sun, in thier family dynamic. I don’t think the Windrunner’s ever had a “healthy” family dynamic but that has yet to be confirmed in canon.

Seems like a bit of a mixed bag then. Huh. I definitely didn’t know all that and it’s a bit surprising to find out. It makes sense somewhat. Just sheds some interesting light.

I feel like I missed something.

See the key of the three moons makes me think the Winter Queen has two sisters. If she represents the Waining moon and Elune represents the Waxing moon there has to be a third sister. The Priestess, The Mother, The Crone.

Quel’thalas still honored their High Elven roots, they really are no different than the Night Elves, just instead of the moon, they worshiped the Sun. There’s this line in War Crimes where Veressa and Sylvanas are talking about Tirisfal and they make comparisons to the Night elves, on how there is beauty in darkness, since they both grew up in Quel’thalas, in the sun. The two moons… I can’t wait to read the new Veressa story.

TBH? Silvermoon was a blunt reference to the Forgotten Realms Elven city of Silverymoon. Silverymoon was even dubbed the “the Gem of the North” for its beauty and where is Silvermoon? As far north as you can go and still be in the Eastern Kingdoms.

The RTS era also implied there were High Elven Druids too. There is a lot from back then that is… incongruent with modern lore. That is why it is so sad they didnt actually go through with cleaning it up to make sense with modern WoW lore.

Oh, I know what it was originally from, but Silvermoon was named that in WC2 at a time when there were still thalassian druids in lore

The thing is they doubled down on the moon nomenclature even harder in WC3, even impying it had a world tree too. And then threw in a few more for TBC (and confirmed the mother tree in QT did in fact exist and wasn’t just a map artifact, they just never really referred to it as a world tree)

I beleive that is because they never thought people would ever like the Kaldorei. The team itself was not really fully sold on it back then. Metzen more or less crammed the idea of “Drow… but also a Wood Elf” down their throats.

1 Like

Only thing kaldorei have in common with the drow is being a female led society. Unless there’s more to it that I’m missing :wolf:

Ah, yeah. its the nocturnal/ living in the dark aspect they pulled mostly.

Also within at least within Forgotten Realms the Rebel Drow actually also follow a moon goddess; Eilistraee. I in some ways think our Elune was based on Eilistraee as they have a lot in common in their domains.

3 Likes

Imagine how cool it would be if the Kaldorei priestesses were just as cruel as the female drow priestesses of Lolth were. Would add a cool element to them, but that’s me :wolf:

2 Likes

Thing is they could easily have retconned a bunch of it in WoW, BC retconned almost all of TFT from the word go and it took until like last year for the writers to even meekly acknowledge a certain character from TFT existed. They didn’t.

WoW is pretty much a lite knockoff of Forgotten Realms.

I’ve said it a dozen times or so but they need to go the Star Wars route. Hire a dozen lore nerds, devise a true Canon, push out some retcons as needed to sync it up and then make sure they keep an eye on the stories team to shore everything up as it goes out going forward.

And honestly - that’s not a huge outlay in salary mainly because the people they want in that job, really really want that job.

4 Likes

I think that’s because the current team is desperate to retcon as much as they can that the old team did, so they can move forward with their new vision. That’s the impression I got with the all additional retcons to the story. :wolf:

6 Likes

Oh, I’m sure they are, they’ve been trying to push orc v humans nostalgia for several expansions and hardly anyone bit beyond MHP/MOW mains for years because it’s a dumb straightjacket for storytelling

Which is funny since the only reason this game exists is 3 and they know it.

2 Likes

Warcraft needs its own Dave Fillioni basically. Someone who actually truely LOVES the franchise and knows what the fans want. :wolf:

7 Likes

I think the trouble they have had is the old lore has somewhat boxed them in, as it had somewhat humble aspirations compared to exploring the planes of existance and cosmos beyond Azeroth. I dont think they honestly expected WoW to still be a thing in 2021 when they wrote chronicles for example. It is somewhat a problem most old games run into if the writers didn’t plan ahead enough to give themselves breathing room.

Thats why the Grimoire of the Shadowlands is being written as an outright perspective piece like it is. They burnt themselves once already doing de facto lore books.

2 Likes

And has the power to implement it. He’s a good example because he’s really gotten a lot of freedom. I know he works with their stories group, but higher ups don’t really seem to tell him no very much (I don’t know the actual dynamics with him and Kathleen Kennedy - tons of rumors but whatever).

1 Like

I don’t know about his relationship with Kennedy either, but Disney seems to have a hands off approach when Dave is in charge of a project. And he ALWAYS delivers something memorable :wolf:

4 Likes

Who said that (the bolded part)?

1 Like