Night elves did NOT get their revenge. This is unacceptable!

Even as one of the resident story forums night elf fans, I’ve never really been one to consider the Burning to be one that wiped out the majority of night elves, not even taking into consideration the entirety of the War of Thorns. We’re never given any set numbers beyond what the one quest offers.

However…

Assuming that the 900+ civilians dying as shown in the final quest is accurate, and taking into account however many died in the war itself, we can get a number of maybe 1200 dead night elves. Old lore stated that the population of Darnassus/Teldrassil was around 15k, and if the majority of night elves lived there, we can generously say that maybe 14k more lived elsewhere. So at minimum we’re still looking at about 4% of an entire race killed. For the sake of a plan that wouldn’t have worked even if the Burning hadn’t happened.

Other races have suffered far larger percentages of losses, but this was done by the Horde, a player faction, one where the logical repercussions were it an NPC threat can’t apply. And it was done, narratively, in such a way as to have it get swept away within less than a year for the sake of moving the story along for the same characters to make peace.

At this point, it’s not even about revenge, for me. It instead showcases a very odd disdain on the part of the writers for night elves, and draenei as well, and a penchant for letting races they favour run roughshod over the ones they can’t write. This has been a thing since Cataclysm, and the more it’s gone on the more the night elves have gone from feral, savage people to more typical fantasy elves.

That’s why the Night Warrior stuff annoyed me, to an extent, because… it was basically just getting night elves to where they already should be, and have been. But yeah, night elves actually getting revenge was never going to be on the table. The writers wanted a big, badass metal moment for their preferred vision of the Horde, and then backtracked so that they wouldn’t need to have something equitable happen. Which is easy when they frame any retaliation by the Alliance, however measured, as equally bad.

4 Likes

On the other hand … the Horde was pretty nerfed in the WoT as well (just for different reasons). Blizz’s artificial maintenance of the traditional WC3 style fantasy genre does not support a consistent advancement of the Horde. The Underhold is being used as a prison … not as the manufacturing center it was designed to be for goodness sake…

No Subs; no Zepplins; no Airships; no Napalm; no Juggernauts; a few scattered Gyrocopters from BC and Shredders from Cata; Siege equipment dating back to friggen BC. In fact, no tactics of any kind that postdated I think WotLK (and outside of the pre-emtive strike with Rogues, nothing that would avoid the Horde smashing their faces against a race that can hold the line against 8 to 1 odds). Why does the Horde even have to worry about Ashenvale at this point? They could much more easily circumvent it by going over it by air; or around it by sea?

1 Like

If the Horde is fact starting a War for resources it would be beyond stupid to march through said lands deforesting everything in their path and then blighting the remains. It would only serve a confirmation that all they really care is destruction ans conquest.
As of per cata questing half of Ashenvale was already a lifeless wasteland and currently Goblins and Forsaken are working hard to strip Darkshore clean and leave it useless in the near future.
At this rate after they kill every last night elf they will eventually start moving south and I bet their next victims might be Taurens.

5 Likes

Yeah blizz loves to depict the horde as having no love or respect for nature they build strip mines build the worst machines that spew out toxic waste and deforest everything. And yet they still need more they have to be super wasteful to use up every reasource they get there hands on in no time.

3 Likes

That is not the list of number of civillians who died, only the ones you in particular failed to rescue. Many had died before you got into the scene and others died after you left through the portal and that number has absolutely nothing to do with those who died in Dolanaar, Shadowglen, Shadowbreeze, Ruther’an Village, and the various settled settlements in the Interior. And let us not forget the firbolgs , timberlings, and harpies as well.

3 Likes

Also remember that all those wisps Malfurion called for aid were the spirits who recently died at the early stages of the war. It was sad to see a seemingly endless parade of wisps marching through Astranaar to help defend their kin one last time. Soul crushing moment.

11 Likes

It was literally a flowing river of souls.

When you’re doing the Horde side of Tyrande’s ascenion those Night Elves who refuse reanimation attack you as Angry Whisps.

7 Likes

If Blizz tries another “Azeroth is free moment”, or tries to pin this all onto Sylvanas like they did with Garrosh, or fails to do anything that suggests there will be some sort of closure for the Alliance, I may unsubscribe. The Alliance are just victims in waiting for the blood thirsty Horde at this point, and the Horde has no reason not to continue this course when they keep succeeding at wiping out major population centers of the Alliance and there is never any sort of consequences for what they do.

9 Likes

Raynor should have just shot Kerrigan at the end of Wings of Liberty

3 Likes

Very true, but we’re not given any hard numbers beyond that. I’m inclined to believe that the number was pretty large, but not a percentage to the extent some people say. Which doesn’t make it any better, of course, because even that lowballed number I put forth is still far more civilians than the Alliance has ever killed, and still been villified for.

1 Like

This guy gets it, no use downplaying nelfs genocide ,badwriting is on both sides, id say we wait till 8.3 then decide with our wallets.

4 Likes

Night warrior makes her weaker, not stronger XD

wonder if it’s like Goku’s costly Kaoi-ken ability somehow, drains you a lot but boosts power for brief periods

1 Like

I think Tyrande removing all preternatural power from Saurfang and defeating him with one move is pretty good vengeance. Saurfang was once either our most powerful dude, or our second. Now he’s a trashmob.

Imagine Sylvanas going into a fight with the help of Vol’jin while being empowered by Bwonsamdi only to find out they can’t defeat Mathias Shaw and they have no other choice but to watching gloat over it as he escapes with his mission accomplished. How would that makes you feel? If the answer is bad then that’s what Night elf fans feel about the so called Night Warrior boost.

10 Likes

well… to be fair at least shandris stills says “there must be vengeance for teldrassil” that what she said after baine was rescued.

so… maybe she didn’t get the memo or something?

5 Likes

They will end up killing her off, anyway

3 Likes

Are you comparing Nathanos to Mathias Shaw? I mean, Nathanos isn’t a titan, but come on.

1 Like

Nathanos is about as strong as someone who should lose against the Night Warrior

11 Likes

I must of missed this. When Tyrande came into the picture, Saurfang was just sitting on his butt having decided not to kill Malfurion when he had him DEAD TO RIGHTS. So I’m not seeing where you draw this conclusion from.

They already do take their revenge on a daily basis, they beat on helpless demon dummies in mordum.

1 Like