Night elves did NOT get their revenge. This is unacceptable!

8.2.5 Update: Well, it’s over. We just lost.

Short TLDR at the bottom

First off, I know that there have already been topics about this, but I just can’t let this be forgotten. So let me get into it:

From an interview with a wow dev: “I think she had her moment where we told some of her story and she got her revenge for the Night Elves.”

Source: https://de.wowhead.com/news=291733/tyrande-got-revenge-for-the-night-elves-mmorpg-interview-with-blizzard

So, where do I even start with this whole thing? Well, let’s see here:
Sylvanas has planned an attack on the night elves because “they could think about attacking the horde in the future”, so if the horde attacks first, this won’t be able to happen.
For this reason, Sylvanas took her whole horde army, marched from orgrimmar to Darkshore and slaughtered every Night elf they could find, not even civilians were spared and just brutally murdered.
To end the whole thing, she commited genocide against Night elves that were still in Teldrassil, knowing that only innocents/civilians remained in there.

She even made shamans empower the flames to make sure that those people all die, she didn’t want to destroy the tree, she wanted to destroy the race.

I can’t remember that such an atrocious event has ever happened in WoW.
She almost wiped out the Night elves, knowingly killed thousands of civilians and all that just to minimize the chance of getting attacked by the night elves in the future ? There are barely any night elves left in Azeroth now, the race is basically going extinct at this point (according to official lore).

This is not even the shocking part though. Sylvanas and her followers have commited a horrible atrocity and she must pay for it… right?

Well, apparently, the devs see it otherwise: Tyrande has gained new powers with the few people left of the night elves, but the only thing they managed to do is kill 1 of Sylvanas Val’kyrs.
They did not manage to kill Nathanos or even hurt him. He even mocked Tyrande for what happened with Teldrassil and him raising 2 of Sylvanas commanders as undeads.
They are so weak in numbers now that they did not even manage to conquer Darkshore (or what’s left of it) back. The horde hasn’t even gotten a slap on the wrist for what’s happened, and the devs call it revenge?

I find this sick, just awful hearing from a dev that Tyrande already avenged the thousands of innocents that were killed in Sylvanas genocide and the story with the night elf (in relation to Teldrassil) is about over. Do they think that killing 1 Val’kyr makes up for the intentional murder of thousands of innocents and the loss of their home?
And before people come up with the battle for lordaeron, how many innocent civilians that had a life expectation of thousands of years were killed in the battle for lordaeron? If the answer is less than thousands, then it’s not revenge.

Why does Blizzard write a story that has horrible consequences for night elf fans, but then doesn’t finish it properly? We will probably end up siding with the horde and forget about the whole incident.

I think this is just wrong on so many levels I can’t even find the right words for it. If any Blizzard Story Devs stumbles upon this, please reconsider your decisions and give Night elves atleast some compensation for what happened, don’t just leave them to die out and pretend like it has never happened. Atleast in WoW, the night elves always seemed to be a pretty peaceful race to me (not in WC3 but let’s talk about WoW here) and they definitely deserved better than that.

Sorry for all the complaining, but I think it just had to be said. I hope I’m not the only one that sees it this way. I know that not everyone might not agree entirely, but even as a former horde main this questline just felt horrible and so wrong to do, killing innocents and being unable to act against sylvanas. It just felt like it’s so next level evil that even the savage horde should never get away with such an act.

What bothers me the most is that the devs already confirmed that they’re done with Tyrande as she “already got her revenge for the night elves”. This is also why I thought I should make this post. It’s not likely to change anything, but I just wanted to draw atleast some attention to this topic.

TLDR: Killing 1 Val’kyr is not revenge for aiming and succeeding to kill thousands of innocents, wiping out the majority of a race and making all of them die a slow, painful death. All of that completely unprovoked

Please Blizzard, atleast give us something, this was such a huge let down for night elf players.

:arrow_right: I also posted this into the General Discussion in the hope of drawing Blizzards attention onto it. If you want to help me, please make sure to also leave a comment there, maybe we have a slight chance in changing their minds.

52 Likes

The true revenge is the Horde friends we made along the way.

46 Likes

What you’re failing to understand is that revenge is evil and wrong, and that we should just forgive people who consistently abuse us because that’s what Jesus would do. Didn’t you learn that already with Kerrigan?

31 Likes

“the night elves are practically extinct”

and yet they are a major player in most of the bfa conflicts and manage to put the entire horde in a stalemate all by themselves in darkshore. Their “almost extinct” is more powerful than any horde race still. Also, night elves have holdings virtually all over the Kalimdor, and many people were evacuated. If there are “barely any night elves left” how are they holding their ground against ALL horde races in darkshore?

Many posters on these forums (horde included) thought that Tyrande should have killed Nathanos and sacrificed a valkyr to ressurected him. That would have been better. But lets be honest here, there is an endless list of changes that could have been made that would have made the story better. Nobody is going to be satisified with the story in bfa.

Nor can they do anything harsher than what ive outlined because you will alienate the entire horde who already have to suffer through yet another terrible storyline in an endless buffet of bad storylines.

20 Likes

Nelves aren’t practically extinct. We’ll learn in a tweet that only 10% of nelves died.

15 Likes

Well sadly the lore says otherwise. In the short story “Elegy”, tyrande says that night elves are a dying race now due to the annihilation of too many civilians.

6 Likes

That will be retconned as soon as they need to justify the continued presence of night elves everywhere.

It doesn’t even make since. When night elves become soldiers they can no longer reproduce?

5 Likes

Firstly, I’m fairly certain that line was from Anduin’s PoV not Tyrande and it merely said, “how many Night Elves are left on Azeroth? Not enough”(paraphrasing a bit).

Now, the book does call the Burning of Teldrassil Genocide, so I won’t argue that. But lets look at another fact from Elegy. The Night Elves are described as filling Stormwind to the point that the city was full and the mass of them was stretching outside of the gates to Goldshire.

In-lore, Stormwind is gigantic, just look at how its presented in the Warcraft Movie(which isn’t canon in itself but I think its safe to take that stormwind as being representative of canon stormwind in scale). So, Stormwind is a huge city, and the nelves were evacuated to the point that the it was completely full.

Given that Nelves have always been fairly decentralized to begin with, I think its safe to say that they aren’t in any danger of going extinct.

Keep in mind, I don’t disagree with the rest of your post. I hope Nelves play a larger role in the rest of BFA, but I know they most likely won’t.

6 Likes

Ironically, the bigger act of revenge comes from the rescue of Baine; which results in the deaths of several dark rangers and one dark warden. Not to mention, all those goblins and orc guards.

Since when does Blizz care about their own lore?

22 Likes

The Blood Elves lost 90+ percent of their population (more than the listed ninety when you consider Kaelthas losses). And yet they still have participated in ever major conflict to a fair degree as a world power.

9 Likes

Elegy was written by Christie Golden, who is notorious for using ingame scale in her stories.

1 Like

Christie Golden’s world building is atrocious.

14 Likes

And somehow 90% of all night elves died but they had enough time to evacuate all of the Gilneans.

1 Like

The full quote is…

And it was in response to whether or not Tyrandae would show up in Nazjatar.

I understand people are upset with the direction of the writing so far and expecting the worst, but I just don’t see this as them saying that they’ll never bring up Tyrandae. the Night Warrior, or the Night Elves ever again.

It’s them saying that in patch 8.2, where Nazjatar/Mechagon are the focus, that the Night Elf conflict in Kalimdor and the associated characters will not play a part. They got focus last chapter. This specific chapter doesn’t deal with them.

Because that’s pretty much what’s happened. Pretty much all story beats not related to Nazjatar/Mechagon have taken a backseat at the moment. It’s not that they don’t exist or will never be resolved. It’s just that they aren’t being addressed now.

And that’s not to say that when they are addressed, I think people will be happy with the results. But it’s not like they’re not going to have any more Night Elf related content and just forget they exist in all future expansions.

3 Likes

So how does “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” said the LORD(Romans 12:19) and and will not at all acquit the wicked(Nahum 1:3) fit into your theory? Forgiveness is not the same thing as enabling/excusing wrongdoing, which has to be answered for.

So how does “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” said the LORD(Romans 12:19) and and will not at all acquit the wicked(Nahum 1:3) fit into your theory?

Whoever said that clearly hasn’t learned about the magic of friendship the way the great moralists at Blizzard have.

3 Likes

You also selectively quoted. The passage is saying that vengeance belongs to god, not the individual.

Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

The WoW story forum is not really the place for real world religious debate though so it would probably be best to leave the Bible quotes at the door.

6 Likes

Too bad Feldaran didn’t get the memo.

I didn’t selectively quote. I was being synecdochical. This is Scriptural truth. I’m not here to debate religion or what religions teach. I was only trying to correct an erroneous understanding, that 1) revenge is not inherently evil and wrong and 2) forgiving people who consistently abuse us was never taught in the Scriptures, let alone something that Jesus ever did.

Now in-game terms, if Elune is a just goddess, then she would not acquit the wicked of the Forsaken. That means there’s going to be judgment, and punishment. If she’s the kind of goddess that would just let the Forsaken have their way, then she’s not the kind of goddess any self-respecting nelf would worship. There’s better powers to serve out there in that case.

That’s what I’ve been saying. Elune is either unwilling or unable to exact vengeance for her “chosen” people so either way she’s unworthy of the worship Night Elves have given her. This isn’t some nebulous concept that may or may not even be real(not my personal feelings but not the place for that) like God in our world so her not acting is a betrayal.