Night elves did NOT get their revenge. This is unacceptable!

I think you’re splitting hairs here. The line, “she got her revenge for the Night Elves” is pretty straightforward. The following line just confirms that she won’t appear in Nazjatar AT ALL. I’ll also point out that people weren’t hoping Tyrande/the night elves would be involved in Nazjatar due to the war campaign. They were hoping she/they would be involved because it’s Queen Azshara. This is quite literally the oldest unresolved storyhook the night elves have. Their former queen who betrayed them all to the Burning Legion, the woman who inspires Tyrande’s greatest nightmare of becoming Azshara 2.0. THAT’S why people were expecting the nelves to be involved in Nazjatar. They weren’t, of course. Outside of Shandris having a single, small questline about a ghost she knew back in the day.

I’ll also point out that the expansion started with the complete conquest of the night elves’ territory (Ashenvale and Darkshore conquered, Teldrassil destroyed) and the near annihilation of the night elves as a people. We then got…nothing. Absolutely nothing. The only part of the narrative that even touched on Teldrassil was the fully rendered CG cinematics we got about Saurfang feeling sad. It wasn’t until 8.1 that the night elves got a shred of content, and that was a single questchain in a scenario, and a warfront that is forever in limbo.

After that, the only word we’ve gotten is that Tyrande got her revenge during the scenario where she failed at all her goals (after getting a power up, to boot), and that she won’t be appearing in Nazjatar. I think it’s perfectly valid for night elf fans to look at these developments and statements and not feel especially optimistic.

17 Likes

I’m going by the assumption that the Devs decided it ws time for the Night Elves to have their own fall Quel’thelas style. And since there are night elf populations in the Broken Isles they felt the could take what they did to the High Elves and crank it up to 10.

1 Like

Ahh yet another typical edgy blood elf player.

6 Likes

I think this is one of those situations where splitting hairs is necessary because the context is important- not just the single memetic line that’s taken on a life of its own.

Yes, people were asking because they wanted to see a Tyrandae/Azshara showdown. And it’s explained that Tyrandae is doing her own stuff right now and has her own story. Not that her story is over.

And they then immediately go on to talk about how there’s so many stories that they have to take turns- telling things in chunks and coming back to elements later.

You say nothing has happened in the Night Elf story in 8.0, but we have seen them advancing the attack on Teldrassil and invasion of Darkshore with a long questline and warfront in 8.1. And we still have several more patches and a whole year to go. The story is indeed slow and ponderous, takes diversions so they can explore other things, and has not been resolved, but it still seems to be ongoing.

2 Likes

I think Tamanii has a solid point, specifically because of when we look at the full answer:

Shani began by saying that Tides of Vengeance gave the team its chance to “tell a little bit of Tyrande’s story” but that the focus in Nazjatar is going to shift to delve into other characters and to see more of what Sylvanas and Anduin are up to.

“I think she had her moment where we told some of her story and she got her revenge for the Night Elves. I don’t think we’re exploring her story too much more in Nazjatar though.” Shani said.

Morgan picked up the conversation. “The problem is there is so much to be told. Everyone has characters they want to expand on, but we also want to introduce new ones and to find ways to weave those stories together. With Rise of Azshara, the emphasis is on Sylvanas and Azshara herself. They are the focus. There’s just so much happening.”

Except in 8.2 we haven’t learned squat about what Sylvanas or Anduin have been up to, so this answer undermines its own credibility, along with the Heritage Armor misinformation:

“Shortly after Rise of Azshara, you’ll see that,” Morgan explained. “These are the two races that haven’t been updated. They’ll have new heritage armor with that as well.”

1 Like

Compared with the other authors though…

Authors like whom exactly?

1 Like

That’s literally what I said. That there was no content related to Teldrassil in 8.0, then we got a questchain and warfront in 8.1. The only follow up we’ve gotten since then is that Tyrande achieved her vengeance for the night elves in that patch.

The problem here is that Teldrassil and the night elves are entirely separate from BfA’s main narrative. The rest of the expansion story can play out 100% without Darkshore or Tyrande ever being mentioned again. That’s why people are worried when a dev says that the night elves have had their vengeance. Because vengeance for Teldrassil is the ONLY storyline we’ve had this expansion.

2 Likes

You also said that after the destruction of Teldrassil, we got nothing… but we did get something. In the very next patch, we got a continuation of that story. So yeah, we get nothing, except when we get something.

And there’s only been one other patch since 8.1. That’s the current patch. So of the 3 patches of BFA, 2/3 of them have dealt with the Night Elves in some capacity. We’re only half way through. and we’ve got several more patches to go.

That’s why, taken as a whole, I think it’s pretty pessimistic to conclude that they’re just going to forget that Teldrassil is gone, Tyrandae is the Nightwarrior, and that there’s conflict going on in Ashenvale/Darkshore. Especially not because some guys who aren’t on the writing/story team made some statement based on their best guesses at the time that could just as easily be interpreted as “We’ll get back to that later,”

I can understand the pessimism. But for sheer peace of mind, this particular situation is not nearly as likely given the evidence as other outcomes.

I’ll be succinct.

An inconclusive battle front and preamble quest ending in the raising of night elf dead is complete bull-feces in terms of narrative closure on Teldrassil.

16 Likes

Again, that’s exactly what I said. Nothing in 8.0, then something in 8.1. You’re saying the same thing I did but claiming that I didn’t.

There is one major content patch left, and also a half content patch. Between Jaina and Lor’themar in Nazjatar, and Jaina/Thrall/Saurfang/Baine in the scenario where Baine is rescued, it’s abundantly clear that we’re heading into the “Horde and Alliance join forces” part of the story. Once that happens, any hope of the night elves getting ACTUAL vengeance for Teldrassil is gone. It’ll be laid entirely at Sylvanas’ feet, and we’ll move on to the next expansion.

You can call me overly pessimistic if you want, but I’ve been down this road too many times with Blizz to just close my eyes and hope for the best.

11 Likes

Playing a night elf is like role-playing a battered woman.

7 Likes

Because it was required that that battle have a winning point for Horde players as well…in this case the recruitment of new undead characters for the Forsaken.

Darkshore plays by the same rules for both factions as the Arathi Highlands.

Have any of you played the Warfront Hordeside yet?

I don’t think I’ve seen any Horde fan consider Sira leading them in the warfront a winning point.

9 Likes

Blizzard does I believe… The Horde gets to snag a former Alliance leader who has the home front advantage. Right now I’m working on advancing my Horde main to the point where she can play the warfront and win for the Horde.

Not everything is meant to be resolved. Did the Japanese get resolution for Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Was the Korean War ever resolved? The answer of course is no to both questions. Stories aren’t about balancing books.

They actually did thanks to the Marshall plan.

Also, kudos for pretending Naking never happened.

2 Likes

Sira wasn’t ever an Alliance leader. She was only ever a leader as a stand-in for Maiev for the Wardens, during which time the Wardens were not part of the Alliance as they were fugitives from the Night Elves after Wolfheart, and in the Alliance introductory questing of the Darkshore Warfront Maiev was back, leaving Sira no longer in charge again.

The Horde also literally just finished killing Sira, overcoming whatever supposed home front advantage she had.

The Horde puts someone who just got a failing grade in combat - by, you know, being defeated and then killed - in charge of leading their forces.

They literally put a loser in charge.

7 Likes

Losing one battle does not make someone a loser. Sounds very reductionist. And to the point specifically, losing a battle does not make someone’s benefit vanish.

1 Like

You are not wrong. I am perhaps overly harsh with the Forsaken’s recruitment tactics.

Though, in hindsight, from everything I can tell, the Alliance won Darkshore, so Sira lost twice at least.