Night Elf Player Hate

Final Fantasy has a deserved good reputation. I’ve never had a very good experience with them on PC as opposed to console. But the series was a breakwater in console development. And it’s spawned a couple of decent movies.

And now would be a good time to try it out.

1 Like

I played it for a bit, after my friend twisted my arm since I never liked FF. I think its way overhype, and the “good story” is mostly fangirling. Its basically WoW with a less interesting setting. I would rather play SWTOR again.

Pick up 14 and give it a solid play. You’ll learn just how cheated you are by WoW’s Dev team.

1 Like

That’s actually where I went to ground after 8.2 dropped. :sweat_smile:

The problem is Blizzard likes to hand alot of their issues off screen. The molten front was a win, the war fronts themselves were a win. A whole zone in Legion was theirs as is one in the Shadowlands. Those are the ones that spring to mind at the moment for me, but to say they have it worst than the other races is a long stretch.

Take for example the Worgen: Two capitals they called home are now gone, and with no sight of getting Gilneas back. They also have had their leader Anduin’d so he is just a toothless hound now.

Dwarfs: The only roles I’ve seen them play in years is the Bronze beard brothers, not the race itself. They might even be better off with how the current story time is going.

Forsaken: Not only have they lost their leader (For good or for ill) they’ve had their whole culture stripped from them and for a time were afraid that a “lightforged” undead, who not only knew nothing about their suffering, but had strong Alliance ties were going to take charge of them.

You mean how they gave their leader some time in the spot light? I woudn’t be surprised if they never retake their city and just move to mechagon. They used to be the Alliance go to mages too outside of a few humans, but that got taken as well by Elfs in general. Hell the Mechagons might just start replacing them too.

Tauren after losing Carine haven’t had much their way outside of being lead by an Alliance leader painted blue.

Orcs had to deal with Garrosh taking them down the path of old god blood that is too close for conformed with their past. And Thrall just up and losing them to play captain planet. Saurfang going from a beloved Chuck Norris joke to sadfang is another slap in their face, and I’m not going into WoD because that speaks for itself.

Ok, then we’ll focus on the two that is Horde. Dark spears got the Islands only for nothing to be done with it and when Vol’jin finally got the mantle of warchief Blizzard did nothing with it and had him killed off by a no-named grunt.

The Zandalar had their king killed in the next patch and their head Loa reduced to a 5-man instance. Then when Talanji becomes Queen nothing is done with her either.

When you get talked down to enough talks by one person, but there is another who has not only been through the magic addiction your people are currently going through but also offers words of encouragement and you see their people going at it as hard as yours to free you from demons. It’s a wonder who they went with.

The Night Elfs have had ups and down, but again they’ve had more than enough time that other races should have gotten and Blizzard does throw them a bone when they goof, as seen with how they said they’re going to make up for making a bone fire out of their tree.

I myself do want them to get some closure out of this, if only because another race’s fans shouldn’t have to suffer because of spotty writing.

4 Likes

I think you are missing my point. Winning or not, first we never see those wins in-game. But more to my point is tragedy has become the theme of Night Elf storytelling. Never with any resolution or respite.

If anything, the victories we have are immediately undermined by the next inevitable tragedy.

The difference here is players knew this when they rolled up the race… This wasn’t something thrusted upon them, this was something that came with the race’s introduction. When I rolled a night elf, I did not sign up to be a decade-long victim.

Dwarves are always getting the glory. Every Alliance win is dwarf/gnomish tech winning the day. Dwarves are fine lol.

Yeah, Forsaken really got it recently, but its just that, recent. the plight of the Night Elves have been going on since Cata.

Gelbin is a alive and personally destroyed the entire Zandalari fleet in an awesome in-game cinematic. Night Elves have never had anything like that.

Tauren are ignored, not victimized.

And Orcs actually had a resolution and payoff… Night Elves never do.

Sounds good.

Not great but its one drop in an ocean compared to Night Elf tragedy.

Rasta was not the Horde Zanda racial leader, we all knew that would be Talanji.

fixed

Which was lore Blizzard wrote specifically for Legion, when before Suramar was culturally significant to Night Elves. Suramar was gifted to the Blood Elves and snatched from the Kaldorei fans.

Point is, you are wrong, you are missing the point, you are invalidating the concerns of Kaldorei fans and players, and that is why Kaldorei players don’t have sympathy for the things that happen to your favorite race.

2 Likes

Racials that make raiders swap factions to join our side would be nice, too. And for my third wish, I wish that the genie granting me these ridiculous, never-going-to-happen wishes was free.

3 Likes

Invalidating? You mean the concerns that -every race- have had over the years? Other players have had to watch their favorite races be torn a part every time blizzard writes an expanse. Hell the Forsaken are another race that are a victim too, difference is they’re not getting a whole zone, quests with their leader, and lore about their gods that been a mystery sine classic, or Blizzard openly admitting the messed up and are trying to make admins with their players.

If anything your bias is invalidating everyone else.

8 Likes

I’m going to add part of something I said in another thread, because I think it applies here.

Faction war should be a time to pull out all the stops and show all of a faction’s might - everything the player thinks is cool about them - brought to bear against a foe that -won’t- explode with the first cinematic hit and isn’t 100% destined to get rolled by the players. It’s a chance to show off all those cool moves against opponents who have a change at blocking or negating them - because then, landing a hit feels that much more satisfying.

Few people wanted a faction war so they could see an endless field of grunts and footmen slap-fighting eachother until one side falls over - they want to see Sylvanas banshee-scream her enemies to ash, to see Malfurion burying his enemies with roots; and beyond that, to see blood mages raining flaming comets upon the field, Sentinels striking from the branches and vanishing away, tauren warriors tossing foes aside like ragdolls, vindicators shielding their allies and smiting their foes.

So when those opponents don’t use their own cool moves, or act uncharacteristically stupid, then the story fails twice over:

1. The side that the now-stupid character belongs to feels insulted
  2. The side who won that rigged battle doesn’t feel that their cool moves were done justice - they could have won against a fair opponent, so why did the story decide to handicap them?

I think the War of Thorns was a perfect case study for this. Night elf fans felt they never got to see their side do something cool in a faction war setting, and kicked up a fuss when they got yet another playable storyline of them getting stomped.

Likewise, Horde players seemed to be underwhelmed at their own faction’s portrayal. No telemancers cleverly countering the Vindicaar from teleporting in, no goblin submarines slipping under the night elves’ navy - even blighting/burning the trees to deny their use to the night elves only happened much later.

Instead, it was just a normal army of grunts, just walking through the forest, using normal ol’ catapults to somehow reach the tree. I think having mages freeze the river, and then having mages and shaman buff the catapult payloads was about the only neat class/race specialization that entire invasion had.

And so everyone’s upset with their side’s portrayal.

5 Likes

No, not what I mean… I very specifically laid out WHY the concern of Night Elf fans in particular are different than the concerns of other races, and you seem to just completely ignore it.

It might not seem like it to you, but you’re really not being a nice or sympathetic person at all in this instance. You are choosing to disregard the concerns of the fan base rather than listen and consider.

There never was any plan on giving them the city back. Gilneas was going to become a new kind of battleground an ongoing Worgen/Forsaken Alteraac level battleground for posession of the city.

Unfortunately they were never able to get it to work technically, so the idea and Gilneas was abandoned.

1 Like

You’re such a victim; you got an event mount, two good looking armor and weapon sets in addition the Alliance commendation mount is yet another saber, (leather wearers I feel your pain on my Druid and Demon Hunter) which I will probably be mogging my cloth and mail armor through the next expac. and your notable racial NPCs get more screen time than practically any other race outside of Orcs and Humans.

You got a heck of a lot more than Forsaken players, who only got a mount. (it is however, a pretty cool gothic mount.)

1 Like

Truly, night elf Demon Hunters -did- sacrifice everything.

6 Likes

And the other races can lay out their concerns as to why they’re different as well. A.E, the forsaken being gutted with most of their leaders either killed or gone, their cult of personality that was their culture, gone. Their whole Idenity has been destroy, and going forward there isn’t a sign they’ll be getting anything for Shadowlands currently, unlike the Night elfs, who are.

I’ve seen the concerns and again I do agree they need closure, but the Night Elf story isn’t as sad as everyone else because you love them a little bit more.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree or we’ll be arguing circles around each other. :sweat_smile:

Ah that bites, welp just another thing that’ll probably be handled when Blizzard bothers to remember it.

2 Likes

Yawn…

… You know what, why do I bother responding to you when you don’t even keep up with the context of my posts?

…. Try harder. Maybe try some reading comprehension exercises.

And I don’t deny that… But its not the same, its not comparable. And do no other race other than the night elves has it been chronic for the last decade.

Clearly not.

1 Like

Which is kind of weird, when you think about it, because you’d think if any race was going to get strong focus in Shadowlands, it would be the undead one!

5 Likes

Poor Gilneas City. It’s been handled in so many different ways. Abandoned, then filled with worgen resistance fighters, then filled with black dragon cult followers, then Varian saying after SoO the Alliance was going to clear it of the blight to make it habitable again, then official writers not being sure of its status but thinking it was so safely in Forsaken hands that it would house their refugees… At this point, what -hasn’t- the city been?

1 Like

Makes me wish they could wait to find out whether these things will work or not before they put them into the game.

Or the Trolls who have a Loa of Death and a culture around spirits, but hey I just post here.

Right? I was kinda hoping the heritage quest would have answered some questions about that, but from what I’ve seen people say on the PTR it doesn’t and the quest itself is pretty disappointing.

4 Likes

Yeah, trolls are a close second. But the undead have actually been to the Shadowlands!

2 Likes

Yep.

(Spoilers)

It involves a dream sequence in the city during it’s fall, but no information on current Gilneas. And then it concludes with Goldrinn getting Tess to come to the realization that being a worgen sucks and she should stop wanting to become one.

The worgen really got the short stick next patch.

1 Like