Night Elf Player Hate

Would anything else make sense after the horde has almost wiped out her people and sent all of them into the maw?

Off screen would still be better than what we will get: Nothing.

You may want to check your timeline of events again. The Night Elves attacked the Orcs before the Orcs encountered Cenarius. The Night Elves only gave them the benefit of the doubt in so far as initially leaving them alone in hopes that they would just pass through the forest and leave. The Night Elves then attacked the Orcs because they considered the Orcs cutting down trees to be theft. Without anyone ever having told the Orcs that the tree belonged to the Night Elves. Because the Night Elves didn’t once try talking first under Tyrande.

Told Maiev as she made her rush decision:

Maiev Shadowsong: We are wasting our time here, Tyrande. We should be looking for Illidan.
    Tyrande Whisperwind: These people need our help, Maiev! Their brethren aided us against the Legion. We will honor that debt now.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Kael, get your caravan moving across the river! I will stay behind and hold the bridge!
    Maiev Shadowsong: That’s very noble of you, Priestess, but you’re no match for a force that vast!

You mentioned what she should. Not what she has.

You have an extremely inflated view of my importance, which I’d find flattering if it wasn’t based on completely screwball perceptions and a near total lack of perspective.

Do you honestly believe that Blizzard cares a plug nickel on what people say in this forum? Do you think it would make a difference if everyone on this forum unsubed right at this moment?

The Night Elves were the nation that was sitting right on the Horde’s front door in Kalimdor. So it’s geographically consequential that they take the front ends of Horde agression.

They haven’t been the only ones thougyh. Perhaps you seem to forget what happened to Gilneas in Cataclysm. or Theramore? You also seem to forget which race got to act as interventionary heroes to save the Worgen.

So no it’s not been an unbroken chain of Night Elf victimisation as you and others seem to be dammed determined to portray it as. We got our pantheon back in Cataclysm, We got to be Big Dam Heroes for the Worgen as well. And while we didn’t prevail in the War of Thorns, we got a pretty heroic set of battles in the process
 As opposed to what happened to Quel’thelas, Dalaran, Stormwind Keep where it was a simple Horde/Legion/Scourge roll over in about the one page Blizzard bothered to tell each story.

But some folks you simply can’t make happy unless they’re the only ones getting cake.

1 Like

Idk what game you played but this literally never happened. Unless you consider lossing to Nathanos to be heroic.

2 Likes

I think this argument can be made. I do feel like there is a distinction to be made between Blizzard’s treatment of Night elves and other races.

Gnomes for instance, are pretty much destined to be nothing more than comic relief. We have seen gnomes get a bit of love recently, but its very little and a long time coming.

Tauren is in a similar situation, mostly just sitting in the back seat as the story trucks along.

Trolls have a mandatory raid every expansion, but that’s partly because there are so many tribes, not all aligned with the Horde
 Troll tribes and cities are a convenient enemy for a pinch of content.

Orcs are a common enemy, given their history. Years, orc fans have been wanted their race to leave their past in the past and embody the noble-savage race they were promised in Warcraft 3. That has yet to fully take shape.

I am not denying other races have their issues. I am not denying that other fans have their own things to be upset about. However, I do not believe the treatment they face from Blizzard comes with the same degree of malice and humiliation as with Night Elves.

For other races, a lot of it can be attributed to lazy story telling.

“We need a villain
 how about another war mongering orc? Or a Voodoo priest siphoning power from loa
 Oh, I know, how about an evil gnome scientist, it’ll be funny.”

Warcraft races have been type-casted, in a way
 Night Elves, for seemingly no reason at all, have been type-casted for tragedy. And these tragedies become the focal point of night elf story telling. Vanilla WoW was entirely about cleansing the land ravaged by the burning Legion. Teldrassil was one such place. Ravaged by the Cataclysm, the night elf story shifted from a story of healing, to a experience further loss. Finding bodies of NPCs on the shoreline, seeing Silverwing refuge razed and the surrounding area deforested. Hyjal and Ashenvale on fire. Stonetalon a torn up warzone, sacred places corrupted by old God. After SoO, Azshara was given to the Horde, where the goblins pollute and destroy the land
 After winning a war, the Night Elves are forced to relinquish territory

After Legion, the Nightborne join the Horde, despite it’s relevance to the Night Elves, Suramar being Tyrande’s birthplace and the birthplace of the Sisterhood of Elune. These Nightborne join the faction that would commit the greatest atrocity against the Night Elves we have yet seen in WoW. Where again, the Night Elf story is yet again saturated in tragedy, rather than about healing.

There is no respite, there are no feel good moments, there is no ups and downs, there is no progression, it’s just tragedy and victimization, with no story structure, no payoff, no conclusion. Every time blizzard reveals story development towards the night elves, it’s read like a looming threat.

Over the years, I have become quite the gnome fan, because I would rather be stagnant as the comic relief race, than the race that is constantly beaten down for the emotional motivation of OTHER racial characters.

3 Likes

Guilty as charged. I wouldn’t be paying Blizzard one more cent if I didn’t enjoy playing the game and interacting with the community.

Go down to Texas some time and tell them they shouldn’t memorialize the Alamo because their heroes lost to a Mexican.

Unlike Quel’thelas, Dalaran, and countless others, we didn’t simply roll over for the Horde, we made them pay for every foot, every life they took.

They didn’t win cheaply.

1 Like

Oh youre one of those absolute dips that thinks A Good War and Elegy completely make up for the absolutely horrid presentation and experience of the actual in game event and portrayal. Honestly this level of willful ignorance is staggering.

2 Likes

There’s more than one Jewish proverb on how it sucks to be “The Chosen People.”

When you’re a race that’s front and center in what is essentially a Crapsack World, it’s not going to be honey and roses for you.

Gods you are tiring

This isn’t the History of a certain people, this is a story. A story requires certain things to first, be a story, and second, to be good.

A beginning, middle and end, for starters. A journey with distinguishable chapters. A climax, a conclusion, payoff. if you write a story where you just hound the reader into numbness, your story is garbage.

3 Likes

And again you keep forgetting. That when this story ends, so does the game. The stories are there to introduce game play, not the other way around. They should be judged with that perspective. If you’re looking for Tolstoy, you are barking up a very wrong tree.

Youre wasting your time. Drah is just another Katiera. A brainless blizzdrone fanboy that will consider everything they put out to be a magnum opus of the highest quality

4 Likes

CD Projekt Red would like a word with you

Shandris is pretty much for all practical purposes, the same age as Tyrande. She’s also put in a lot more tiem in the field in more warfronts (the generic kind) than Tyrande, so her opinions have merit.

Or the increasingly more popular and way better developed FFXIV.

Eh, I disagree there. FF has always been garbage.

They do have a Black Friday special going on.

1 Like

FFXIV’s story is amazingly well written and the game serves the story instead of the story serving the game. The current expansion’s main plot line is even being written by a newly promoted female writer after her work on the story for one of the classes was hailed as the best in the game by fans for two expansions in a row.

Nah

FF fans, so not saying much.

You can say nah but clearly you havent been playing it. I have. The only part of the game thats severely lacking is PvP and it’s because they have no way of using it to tell a story that fits their setting.