Night Elf Player Hate

Blizzard’s inability to communicate within its own agencies is hardly a Cataclysm only thing, we’ve seen plenty of it prior and as late as BfA.

5 Likes

Holding your nose and doing the quests is tacit acceptance of the situation. If you prioritize playing the game over the story, as Blizzard does, then Blizzard is comfortable in knowing they can publish whatever they want story-wise and people will still play it.

They do occasionally try to get in a plot Alliance to play friendly with Horde characters- even if the actual interaction is minimal. Thrall in Cataclysm. Vol’jin in MoP. Saurfang in BfA.

It rarely goes over well, though.

Count me as one of the people who thinks that there should be more distinct Horde/Alliance storylines. Zandalar and Kul Tiras -where Horde and Alliance went to do their own things on separate islands- were the best parts of BfA. Similarly, I think questing through Draenor was a lot more fun before the Kirin Tor started taking over.

I think it works best when they’re working towards similar goals, and maybe teaming up in the final raid of the expansion, where they’re attacking from different fronts, but not officially allied. The whole generalized campaign where the game assumes any character can just be plopped into a given situation does make the game seem more derivative and is a move away from one of the more iconic aspects of the franchise. Horde and Alliance as a meaningful distinctions with their own iconography, traditions, and campaigns is at the heart of the franchise.

Very little else makes WoW stand out from other fantasy gaming franchises conceptually. The art style.

Unfortunately, as was pointed out, most neutral organizations we work with in the story are either born out of Alliance institutions are populated/chiefly led by Alliance Right now, the only real Horde equivalent is the Earthen Ring.

If they’re going to keep pushing cooperation though, more neutral organizations rooted in the culture/institution of Horde races should be a thing. Zandalar was an excellent opportunity- as they’ve always been either Neutral or Antagonistic towards the Horde and Alliance. The Tinker’s Union, Steamwheedle Cartel, Kezan’s Trade Princes playing a bigger role would be a chance to get Goblins some spotlight too. Going to have to cook up some more, too.

6 Likes

We’re all going to quest through the four zones and only pick a Covenant after reach level cap. We don’t know if Tyrande’s plot will feature more heavily in the general playthrough or only be a thing for Ardenweald covenant characters, though.

1 Like

What should be Tyrande’s response when a Horde character gets sent to Ardenweald and meets her? And what options would a Horde player realistically have?

1 Like

Keeping a sub going at all is also a form of acceptance. The only reason why any of us are still posting here is because the story isn’t repulsive enough to quit over it. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Well in fairness the amount of writing effort that goes into everything is gargantuan. Dialogue, item descriptions, quest logs, flavor text etc. is a lot to keep track of and I think reasonable people will accept they’ll be some contradictions and mistakes.

But when it comes to the personalities of some of the most important characters you’d think you’d have at least a modicum of quality control.

3 Likes

Or they play Classic. But yes, I don’t think Blizzard would have any reason to particularly care if people aren’t doing quests if they keep a subscription going.

1 Like

I would expect the leveling part to focus on the lore of that realm and the Night Fae. But who knows.

I would have stopped playing if they had killed Malfurion in the War of the Thorns (to be fair, I decided not to raid during BfA, so I have no social obligations to the game). But luckily they didn’t, so I’m still here.

2 Likes

It can be, but they could use proven methods (like an in shop lore-bible, a lore-guy on staff) that other developers use instead of firing from the hip on the fly and then having to use tweets or blanket retcons to fix the glaring inaccuracies later.

Its hard to feel sympathetic when there are options to fix said problem, but pride (or even arrogance) gets in the way.

4 Likes

I really really hope bwons is on sylvanas’s side

Bwonsamdi said he doesn’t like Sylvanas a number of times already. He even offers Talanji out of her father’s bargain if Talanji would kill Sylvanas for him.

7 Likes

Well I dunno if you saw blizzcon, but theres a 5 man in bwonsamdi’s realm where we find out which side he is on, and probably get rid of him if he is not on the right side.

I saw the dungeon announcement, yes. I doubt they’d kill Bwonsamdi. He’s rather likeable.

5 Likes

So, being likeable hasnt stopped blizzard before. Lol blizzard kills likeable people all the time, I dunno why people think being likable is a reason to not kill a character

You’re still likely wrong about him working with Sylvanas. Perhaps with the Jailer separately. But there’s little indication that we’re going to kill Bwonsamdi. No more than we killed Odyn just because he had a home dungeon we ran through.

well if he is working for the jailer why wouldnt we, its literally the same side, it doesnt matter if he is above or below sylvanas if they are on the same side, they are working against us the player, Odin never worked against us. Could he change sides sure, but you dont know and blizzard has killed likable characters so anything could happen. But he is either gonna die or join us to save himself from us.

If he is working for the Jailer. And he could just run away again like he did in the Rastakhan fight.

So a character should just keep running away forever, cause he is likable? I am glad blizzard doesnt care about such things and kills likable characters all the time.