Night Elf Player Hate

Bwonswamdi all day every day. I care very very little for Rezan the “Loa of Kings” tbh

• so uncover a goddess, so if it turns out she isn’t an all powerful being and instead a Loa or Naaru you would be fine?
  • She can’t save her people that will be on us as Azeroths chosen only we can go in and out, shes gonna end up trapped in the Maw and need saving.
  • Hey look I don’t care for Anduin and his pacifism. However if your expecting her and the Night elves to fight the Horde all by her lonesome that is just asking for another butt kicking.
    -Expecting her to go toe to toe with Sylvanas is stupid I mean Sylvanas took out the lich king, Tyrande simply isn’t on that level.
  • Again getting some rebuilding in the Alliance as a whole would be nice. However they’re are plenty of other races in the Alliance that have been waiting to get a home back first like Gnomes and Worgen.

If you expected maybe one or two of these you’d be realistic, If your expecting all of that I think you are expecting too much.

A most you might get the first find out about Elune, and possibly fighting sylvanas and losing. Though you’d still probably complain about that.

This is still true, even all these posts later.

Hordehacker is strangely resentful about Night Elves getting any content when he’d rather see other Alliance races getting content instead - I guess as long as that isn’t Kul’Tirans or Gnomes, given BfA. Which, if anything, is only setting up Hordehacker for even more disappointment, given that the Alliance does not look like it will have any large involvement in Shadowlands.

7 Likes

Neither faction does really. To the cosmic powers represented in the Shadowlands you are a single mortal race on one planet out of millions and millions in the mortal realm. Our alliance/horde conflict is incredibly petty and inconsequential in that perspective.

1 Like

Why are you so immovably against Night Elves getting anything at all after they got punched in the head repeatedly through BFA?

13 Likes

maybe because he is a horde player in disguise.
he doesn’t care about his allies.

6 Likes

And that’s because life isn’t fair. Some times bad things happen and there is no such thing as compensation. As bad as things got for the Night Elves as a lore race, there was no negative impact on the night elves as a player character race.

If you’re hopping mad now, I can’t wait to see what your reaction to the new leveling process for new players is going to be.

The Story is not life. The story is written by people. They can’t just make the story dissatisfying and disappointing for such a huge part of their fanbase. What does anyone gain from it if they ruin night elves? Does it make for a better story? No.

7 Likes

I hate to inject some reality into your rage, but you don’t represent a “huge part of their fanbase”. The vast majority took their loot, the mounts they got from the event and the Warfront, and geared up for the next set of challenges.

Your opinion is valid and you are most certainly entitled to it. But just like me, you don’t represent anyone but yourself.

1 Like

I mean considering that most fansites also wrote about the Night Elf issue and that there are reddit (and forum) posts with many thousands of upvotes about it, it’s safe to say that many people were disappointed with this story.

5 Likes

The killing of however many thousand Night Elves civillians was probably the biggest screw-up in this whole mess tbh, among the other hundreds in BfA.

I think if either Malfurion or Tyrande or Shandris or whoever bit the dust, there wouldn’t be this much complaining from Alliance/Night Elf Players because, well, it also happens all the time to the Horde (usually at the Horde’s own hands…).

Whereas having their major population center still full of civillians get completely obliterated at the hands of the other playable faction has only really happened to the Night Elves (onscreen, during the game’s lifetime, I mean. I guess). And then how they carried on after that - telling Saurfang’s story, having most of the Horde continue to follow Sylvanas all the way to 8.2.5, giving the Night Elves a crappy questline that ends with their dead turning on them and a widely disliked play mode, getting no attention in Nazjatar and culminating in the rest of the Alliance pushing for peace with the Horde while they are still refugees because of that same Horde, because big squid completely unrelated to their story is on the loose… Feels bad man. It’s like kick after kick after kick.

15 Likes

Agreed.

And, going by the line in Elegy about how all the civilians who could fight joined the defense instead… it wasn’t just civilians who were killed. They were the civilians who couldn’t or wouldn’t fight.

From Elegy: “Those few who could not—mothers with infant children, the wounded—had been portaled to Stormwind when the magi arrived.” So, the ones in Astranaar were portaled out, but this sets the tone of what the fleeing civilians may be. (And we have two named cases of children still being in Teldrassil when it caught fire.)

And then think of those groups getting burned to death…

Well, that is not something I can ignore easily.

If Tyrande died to save the retreating civilians - that’d be tragic, I’d feel galvanized to fight, but she at least chose to fight - and her detractors could say that it’s her attempt at redemption for being the one to send the main army away. If Malf died - well, at least no one could say he didn’t care for protecting his people (however late this development was) and it’d still galvanize players to fight. And, since Malf had a long history of neutrality and Horde friends, then Tyrande could at least choose to not go on the offensive against the Horde because of Malf’s memory.

But killing fleeing civilians? Children?

How do you quickly forgive that? There are plenty of ways to address the problem without destroying the Horde, but the story doesn’t try - it just sweeps it under the rug and pretends the room doesn’t smell.

It was a terrible mistake to start the plot with that.

10 Likes

I guess that’s also one of the reasons it wouldn’t hurt as bad - Nelfs got spares. Malfurion dies? Tyrande is still High Priest. Tyrande dies? Malfurion steps up to the leadership.

Hell, they could kill both of them, and there’d still be B-listers left to fill their seats. Shandris, Jarod, Maiev…

The Power Schmower couple is dead? Shandris has to step up to lead her people after believing Tyrande would last forever. There, that’s a story to tell.

4 Likes

And they decided to double down on that in Shadowlands by having all those civilians go to the Maw. It honestly surprised me that aren’t just trying to sweep it under the rug, and are highlighting it instead.

Incidentally, had Malfurion been killed off, I wouldn’t have been here to complain for as much as I did. I was ready to post a Youtube video of “So long, and thanks for all the fish” (before BfA, WoW fishing was some of my favorite achievement points).

Are we talking about Stormwind?

I have the dreadful sense once they’re out of the Maw everyone will just act as if the Horde never killed them

And by everyone I mean Tyrande since she’s the only one who isn’t acting like that yet

9 Likes

You’re not supposed to forgive that act… You’re supposed to pin it all on Sylvannas.

3 Likes

Of course they did. The Horde was a vehicle to push Sylvie’s personal narrative; one she left full of garbage now that she’s moved on from needing it. Blizz really needs to make sure that garbage scent gets nice and mushed into the seats.

4 Likes

That has always been the problem with you night elves. Every time someone brings up nature… all you can think about are forests. The plains, the deserts, the oceans, all those are nature as well.

4 Likes

As a strange side note, would it be too much to ask for generally Faction specific story content on Shadowlands Launch? Generally these quests always mirror eachother anyway, but there absolutely is enough of a dead roster on both sides to capitalize on. We are only getting four real story zones to start with in Shadowlands from the sounds of it. An overarching Meta narrative is fine and all, but we really should be getting a “Horde” and “Alliance” themed adventure through the lands of the dead for it to really resonate.

Even if both sides merge into a central narrative beyond those original four zones for the most part, four zones with a linear storyline for both sides would be nice.

2 Likes