New xpack, all female leads? (Part 1)

I am sorry, define masculine in the context of a fantasy video game and your prime examples of masculine characters? Also… there are a bunch of masculine characters in the expansion you interact with. Merrix’s storyline for example. Also… do you know what a pronoun is?

1 Like

You can actually google this yourself or use ChatGPT. Depending on what you’re looking for: 5-11%.

What is the answer to exactly? What did you google?

2 Likes

Garrosh, Varian, Grommash, Bolvar, Dranosh, Ga’nar = very masculine
Lorthemar, Baine = ok tier
Anduin and Thrall crying and insecure = dogwater tier

Thrall used to be masculine in WC3 and classic WoW. They changed him into a soy boy in cata and MoP.

3 Likes

It is something to wonder about. I asked myself, what’s the deal with the dominant matriarchal theme here? Is there a narrative explanation? It feels forced and I wasn’t looking for it when I asked myself that question.

Representation doesn’t feel like an organic experience, there is a forced narrative vibe in my opinion. Overall, it takes away from the story.

To the people who say who cares? Well, some people do, are you invalidating their opinion? Perhaps some people want to feel immersion or invested into a telling story, that sells a genuine experience. When something feels forced it has a way of souring the experience.

9 Likes

The irony of course is that this is supposedly being done to increase “representation” but when people say masculine characters are not represented (accurately) they are told that doesn’t matter.

6 Likes

The cult of equality is immune to reason

6 Likes

No need, they live off of microtransactions now.

Where in the xpac is this happening aside from the villain side?

The important NPCs could be men with the same lines and you wouldn’t notice any difference as far as I can tell.

So onto the Pronoun topic. Is it not weird that the Spider group have strong Pronoun usage where its a cultural pillar yet they still used the Gendered title Queen? Is this not inconsistent with the way their society is presented?

DEI/woke/LGBT+ representation in various terms. The results vary but overall they are a minority. I considered posting a few results but then again, no, it’s just the WoW US forum. I have this however still in cache:

The Philippines, the United States and Israel had the highest share of people identifying as LGBT+, at 11 percent each, while Thailand and Canada came in a close joint second place with 10 percent of adults, followed by Sweden, Brazil and Australia, each with 9 percent
16 May 2024

Rob is actually correct in his statement:

Woke-representation backfired for mishandling IPs or catering to a minority by alienating the core base. You can see the effects starting at Disney and ending at Harley Davidson of all places. I don’t know how I got to this but apparently the companies are starting to roll back the “woke”-support. This is an article which I also found by googling:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/20/harley-davidson-drops-diversity-initiatives
1 Like

Woke stuff has never been widely popular. It’s being pushed top-down by firms like Blackrock through ESG investment. They don’t do it for the customers, they do it to get financing for the project while its in development.

4 Likes

This isn’t the statistic I was asking for, nor am I sure how this is remotely related to women.

1 Like

Well, clearly the writing is creating a perception, and its woman taking over leadership positions.

I’ll tell you what. I live on Long Island, NY, and there’s woman managers everywhere. Even at my job as well. They outnumber the men.

Is this a fad? I dont know. People may say “Yea NY, California, blah blah”, but the cities are the most dense with people.

I think with gen Z, they are going to be a generation ruled by woman. Im convinced of it.

It’ll stand to the test of time as a precedence, for future ideological belief and whatever it is society is going through, especially now. The unending growing pains.

Im ok with female leads that are not Tyrande. I’m also ok with letting the women shine in this game. I’m ok with a woman helping Anduin with his PTSD. I’m ok with Thrall helping the Stormriders and him learning in the process.

What I am not ok with is the misogyny & obfuscated bigotry from players. :v: :vulcan_salute:

Indeed, this very forum thread wouldn’t likely exist.

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t flash gang signs in this thread, thanks

2 Likes

Ah yes welcome to the emo version of wow, I just think to my self what would Varian think of his son.

1 Like