New xpack, all female leads? (Part 1)

…40k is not exactly the height of literature, Ard.

I say this as a fan of both the game (tabletop and video games) and the novels. Everything is an escalation, and everything is a means to propagate war, narratively.

I think you’re really ignoring the important part of what I said, though. Living Nerubians, to my knowledge, have never been outright enemies to the Alliance or Horde.

1 Like

For me it is…and from the looks of it its stock is far more on the rise than what’s happening around here.

Like the entire questline is trying to learn about their society and how to work together with those who aren’t aligned with Ansurek and Xal’atath and are still loyal to the old queen Neferess in a whole political backstabbing plot that hasn’t unraveled yet

1 Like

But that’s my point. It’s entirely fine to love and indulge in this, but I think there’s a responsibility for you to acknowledge that it is indulging. Warrior Space Nuns fighting Warp Daemons and hulking BioBugs is cool but it isn’t exactly compelling.

It’s like trying to compare Death of a Salesman to Starship Troopers.

I’m really invested in this, and in a rare instance of kudos to Blizzard; I think they have a better chance of a fun tale than Salvatore ever did with his drow books. His fight scenes are cool, but his prose lacks. Not to mention Nerubians are just really cool and subversive being relatively good guys even in the words of Dwarves in-universe so it’s nice to see some focus on them.

Never read it or saw a movie about it.

Streetcar named desire and Shakespeare was what bored me to death during Primary School.

Modern wow would KILL to have any lore be even 10% as good as some of the Heresy books. Especially traitor books like Betrayer.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say nice things about Shakespeare if you paid me to.

Looks to me they’re too busy tearing down whats left of WoW and replacing it with cough…modern art.

3 Likes

Is that what I said?

Interesting.

Rather, I highlight the hypocrisy of these people whom representation is only ok when it lines up with their ideology, ergo masculine characters which are unequivocally missing from the story right now.

Representation only matters to you guys, we look at it in a different lense, like what made original Galadriel such a fascinating character? It wasn’t because she was a woman, I’ll tell you that for sure.

The ‘Lady of Light’ was compelling because of her character, not her physical attributes.

A message lost on todays “progressive activists”.

8 Likes

Whats that word people liked to use when the script was the other way around…

Right isn’t this that whataboutism thing ya’ll harp on about?

2 Likes

While asking for representation.

You’d be surprised.

I mean we can’t be Space Marines but we can admire their courage and determination in the face of impossible odds, hell even we mere mortals can impress them with our unexpected boons or prowess.

Plus the writers are intelligent enough to add in teasing references to RL writings and concepts through characters like Kyril Sindermann.

1 Like

Typical that you’d think I’m asking, instead of commenting and observing.

While simultaneously offering 0 reasonable rebuttal or dialogue, lmao.

Observation is the enemy of those who would follow the trending status quo. There is those who would seek to mute those who observe as observations that are not aligned with their goals are considered heretical.

2 Likes

Do you get real antsy in your pantsy when you see an LGBT character too? Or only if they’re in a position of power?

Question, what is an acceptable threshold of minority characters in a story or game before you and other people get mad?

Is one gay or trans character ok? Two? Is three suddenly pandering? Would just one or two female leads been acceptable?

Would it make it better if they talked about the make characters even more than they already do?

1 Like

Everyone knows what it means, including you. You’re just a troll obviously. Yawn.

1 Like

So only men are allowed to be poorly written and people ignore it or at least don’t rage like you all are right now?

1 Like

No, everyone doesn’t know what it means. WoW is a big game with several underlying characteristics and has changed a ton over the last twenty years. There could be many reasons why people have left.

To assume that the story is the (or at least a leading reason) reason why the subscriber count has dropped by millions is ridiculous lol

Similarly, you understand that what you’ve provided is an anecdote, right?

I’ve asked a lot of people why they don’t play and the most common answer is because the story is lame.”

Okay. Conversely, I’ve also asked a lot of people why they don’t play, and funnily enough, that wasn’t a common answer.

See how that works?

I’ve literally never suggested such a thing lol

I don’t think masculinity is bad, but the people here whining about male representation in this game are only interested in the male characters being what the female characters currently are; You know, the ones they’ve incessantly complained about for being Mary Sues lol

They don’t want interesting characters. They want the same hollowness they accuse the female characters of being, but they want it done with men because they take issue with any female character taking charge/lead in any capacity lol

I really thought Anduin would have his calling on the light moment at ANY TIME during the hallowfall part of the campaign but the camera just keeps switching to him and he just looks like hes about to say/do something and the moment passes. that happened about 12 times. dude needs his redemption arc and blizz just keeps blueballing it. I only play horde but rooting for Anduin is a hobby of mine

So what do you want?

The disconnect in any of these threads is that people will cry and cry about male representation in the game and about how the men have been emasculated and portrayed as weak and submissive, and then those same people will fail to elaborate what they want from the game’s story and/or fail to articulate what they mean when they say “strong men.”

Many people, myself included, come to the conclusion then that it’s not a matter of building out good or interesting characters that you’re interested in, but instead just a matter of having a male character that is effectively the de facto “strongman” archetype without any flaws, because flaws are what make a character interesting.

You want your characters to make mistakes. You want your characters to have weaknesses. Otherwise, you’re not looking for a good story. You’re just looking for a mindless romp.

Which is fine, by the way. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that sort of thinking, but to frame it as “good storytelling” would be incorrect.