New Tumblr Rules and the Spine of Deathwing

I’m being jokesy but I do know what tags are but I’m also not going to do extra work if someone can’t be bothered to organize their portfolio y’know?

I could go on and on about making a portfolio but this is a WRA Tumblr drama thread and I’m gonna go get some lunch buh bye :v::sparkles:

don’t link to a Tumblr in a professional resume

2 Likes

don’t link to any social media in a professional resume

4 Likes

don’t link to anything in a professional resume

1 Like

The only thing social media is good for is getting you fired ten years down the line when you step out of line and the internet wants blood.

5 Likes

I never even heard of this site.

And funny animal videos.

Man, Role Players are weird.

1 Like

I agree, Knottywolf.

1 Like

I’d rather die than give my employers any means of interfacing with my social media. i have no idea why you would explicitly include it on a resume.

2 Likes

Thank you, Spacegoatwomen

I’d probably get looked at like a freak if they asked for social media at a job. I don’t use facebook, insta, snap, etc. I have a private twitter that exists only for Art and Memes. I pretty much just talk to my friends through discord or regular texts.

2 Likes

me: “hi, yes, i’m well-versed in a lot of today’s communications and would definitely connect with youth and young adults”
employer: “great, do you have a social media account”
me, funposting at the speed of light on fifty different accounts: “no, i swore a vow of technoludditism and as such my digital footprint is zero”

6 Likes

Many jobs in sales and marketing want to know you can build a following. Same with many types of artistic jobs, especially if you’re freelance.

That said,t hat’s what professional alt accounts are for, not links to your memepage. Like, Artstation and other gallery sites exist for a reason.

2 Likes

There’s actually nothing really wrong with using Tumblr as your main host for your portfolio (before the tiddy purge that is). Plenty of folks kept a totally separate account that just show cases their best work and then link it to a cheapo domain they bought and boom you got a portfolio no problem :ok::ok_hand:

If you talk to most folks that organize events or galleries, a lot of them will bring up Tumblr being the bane of their existence because individuals don’t understand keeping memes and internet funny pictures separate from the work they’re trying to show case. Usually it’s young people but sometimes it’s full blown 30 yr adult. It’s surprising how many people don’t have that common sense :woman_shrugging:

Spine of Deathwing is a terrible idea, as are most call-out blogs.

They give very one-sided evidence and offer no context for that evidence. While there are scumy people out there, I noticed there are some people that were “called out” where the “evidence” is just them arguing with another person. Not to mention, at least half of the callouts revolve around political differences and have nothing to do with toxicity or harassment.

Ultimately, however, none of that has to do with the main point - while many individuals need to have their views challenged, if you do not give them the opportunity to change, then they never will. We’re not talking about violent extremists here, we’re talking about angry nerds online. Most of these people have no lives outside their computers. They don’t know how to interact with others. You will permanently alienate them by harassing them, which leads them further into their toxic mindsets and communities.

So it’s a blog that does not offer objective evidence, which means skeptics won’t be convinced their targets are toxic; it results in no disciplinary action from Blizzard and only exists to vindicate vendettas; it calls people out based in political differences (I actually don’t support the politics of the people they call out, but I don’t think that this makes someone worthy of huniliation); and it ultimately does nothing to reformed the people that are name-dropped.

Oh, and, yeah, it does violate harassment Toss on Tumblr, but hey, they’re cool with racists so why wouldn’t they be cool with this?

2 Likes

My boss is on my Facebook. She’s well aware of what a frickin’ weirdo I am, there’s nothing on there I haven’t done a worse version of, in front of her.

Basically this as well. Sometimes call out threads are of people new to RP and their lack of experience may come off a trolling or even just new to the server as somethings that may be ok on one server can be taboo on another.

Because of blogs like this these people are outcasted before they have a chance to learn.

The only social media I’m on is Plurk. I’m one of a bare handful of English speakers who even know what it is. I ended up there by accident, too.

I’ve tried Facebook and Twitter and could just never make myself see the point. Does that make me unemployable in this decade?

That sounds more like the sound effect for hitting wood.