New talent trees mean removal of our baseline abilities?

Wow, this thread is dumb.

Is everyone in the CC a new player or something?

3 Likes

Sounds like a familiar tactic.

But at least in this way it will carry forward, instead of being wiped with every xpac. Ion also said there would be more layers, and rows to the Talent tree-- expanding on it-- in the future. So, I’m not concerned by the short term climb/point allocation to reach abilities.

I got that latter info from the Hazelnutty interview, timestamp 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMKKjtXL6j8

3 Likes

People hated them so much, they began quitting the game by literally the millions when they were removed.

6 Likes

I’m all for it… this is setting up for future growth that’s not “the system of the expack”…

Let’s see how they hash it and my guess is that any current max toon will start with enough talent points to recreate pretty close to what they are running right now

1 Like

Actually, what was said, if I am remembering correctly is that there are some base skills that will be automatic still and more importantly, they’re still tweaking things.

I for one liked the old talent trees, I often made sub-optimal choices because I found those abilities fun for me in PvE but I knew a lot less then.

One thing I really like is the ability to save a choice set. This means you do the work and can flip back and forth quickly, allowing you to have several builds to play with depending on what you’re going to do.

Personally, I think it’s a bit early to scream about it just yet. I mean, even the current system gives you choices if limited ones and often they’re not much of a choice.

The proof is in the pudding. I’m cautiously optimistic that this could be fun if they do it right.

3 Likes

People loved the vanilla talent trees… we will always have the “meta top dps” builds, but many (including me) also had hybrid specs that we made work (esp in pvp)… the infamous Pom Pyro was one of the greats

4 Likes

lol

I wonder if there’s a single aspect of the game that someone on the forums hasn’t blamed for the loss of “literally millions” at one point or another. Maybe pet battles?

2 Likes

POM Pyro, SL/SL, Shockadins…there were many viable and even meta hybrid talent builds during the existence of WoW talent trees before they locked them into reaching a talent point cap in one tree, then removing them entirely.

There was a lot less “cookie cutter” builds than people think before that decision to have to reach a certain number of talent points in a tree before branching into others. That was just an excuse that the developers glommed onto because it meant less work for them in balancing talents.

4 Likes

07 and classic exists right now with those same talent trees. You don’t have to have played before or rely on memory. Especially if you’re going to say people hated them. That might have been your opinion, but largely what people hated was the method of swapping them. This will have load outs.

They hated screwing up a single talent and having to pay a respect cost. This will be adjustable in rested areas.

They hated only having 2 specs to choose from when dual spec was introduced because you had to choose if you did pvp/heal/tank and still wanted to grind gold efficiently, 2 specs wasn’t enough. Again, load outs not limited to 2.

3 Likes

you missed the point. you obviously weren’t around then and if you were you must of been oblivious to everything.

the point is is that even with all those talents there was only ever 1 clear choice. they were optional unless you were solo playing or in a guild that didnt care about what you did.

i was here. i remember the hate. i remember the threads. i remember all the chats about them.

nice try though.

As someone on the extreme casual/non-competitive end of the bell curve of playstyles, my only concern is there being abilities I will almost never want to use added to the tree that are critically important for some niche roadblock that forces me to rebuild my whole talent tree for that one encounter rather than just opening my spellbook and clicking the rarely-used button when needed.

Otherwise, I have no opinion.

1 Like

Yeah…my achievements already refute that assumption. People didn’t hate the talent trees. It wasn’t even an issue among players until the developers began making it one like the previously mentioned talent point cap that had to be reached in a tree.

exactly. why you think i am hating? i loved the old talent trees. and i am looking forward to the new ones. i am simply stating that i was here then and i remember people going crazy about them and how bad they were.

i have high hopes for this and am looking forward to it. however with that being said they need to do it right or there wont be any customization and there will only been 1 way to play again.

You’ll just use a tome/inn to swap that talent when you need it, much like you’d swap a rarely used talent now.

I never swap talents/conduits/etc. For better or worse, I have a complete build-once-and-forget attitude towards those systems.

2 Likes

A class can, and should, only do so much.
They can’t just keep adding and adding, eventually we’ll end up with spells that essentially do the same thing, boring % stat modifiers, or ability bloat.

So if they’re removing some core stuff to make it a decision in a talent tree, which should still result in a net increase of class depth, I’m all for it.
The reality is 1 month into DF you won’t care about the fact that X ability was baseline and now it’s a talent. Hell, over the years tons of fun abilities have simply been removed to make room for new concepts.

1 Like

They’re doing a lot of revamping for DF, sure, and I don’t like that they’re taking some power to give it back. Least of all they did this with the SL level squish too. And without Borrowed Power to prop us up, it will be itemization that will make your character feel different unless tier sets are unique and change gameplay.

Assuming talent trees stay in going into 11.0, the additions to the tree if there are any will be better than these ones. I hope.

1 Like

Which gives you no extra information than someone who has played classic or on a vanilla-cata private server. In fact, if you’re solely basing your information on 10+ year old memories, I’d wager you know less than those people, not more.

Based on the information of flexibility they’ve already provided, swappable in rested areas/load outs/etc, what makes you think we’ll be having similar issues to the past with this new system?

well its being sold as “play your way” however as history showed us with the old talent trees, there was only 1 clear way. like i said i have high hopes for this and am looking forward to it. i am really happy for this change.

Not if they are an option. What if you wanted something new that’s at odds with getting you interrupt that used to be yours baseline? They’re going to get tons of negative feedback if that’s really the case.

3 Likes