New Shaman Talent Changes

Yea, but I don’t see any enhancement bonuses when I hover over the talent. Maybe it was an oversight… or so I hope. It just shows elemental and restoration spec.

My post was about Enhancement Shaman and you replied about Resto and Ele changes.

You didn’t answer the question, which of the 100s of suggestions given over the last 5 years by Enhancement Shaman players have been addressed in this new Package going into a new expansion?

It displays that they have the capability to do so.

You can’t even answer that question can you?

That is my point, the developers are ignoring what the player base want and are implementing what they think we need. From an enhancement shaman point of view, this is another failed expansion. The changes have not addressed the wants and needs of the enhance shaman community.

This will probably be my last post - because whatever feedback I give for enhancement shamans won’t mean a thing and would just be wasting my energy.

4 Likes

If they are DUMB suggestions like chain harvest, 2hand enhance, and shaman tank spec then those should be ignored.

Well seeing as it looks like you haven’t played Enhance at all in DF in content where balance turning and design actually matter, then how can you given an informed opinion on what the current iteration of the spec needs improvement on?

2 Likes

Yea, they didn’t even address any of the pvp talents. Of all the classes I played, shamans are one of the few who have way more pvp talents that are needed but can’t take. I like the idea of having to make tough choices, but why is shaman the only one who has to do it? Seems a bit unfair. A good start would be to make burrow baseline for all specs.

Oh, and now they are adding that bulwark totem in the base shaman tree that will probably be mandatory to take for pvp to deal with mages. That’s yet another global cooldown to add to our list of endless global cooldown abilities LOL.

The only thing I’m saying tonight is that this looks like the intern’s first draft. A couple of the bullet points don’t even make sense. Like this gem:

• Mastery: Elemental Overload has been redesigned – Now increases all Physical and Elemental damage dealt. The damage of Elemental Overloads is now 25% of normal damage (was 85%).

Does it also increase damage dealt? Or does it only increase damage dealt? I assume it’s the former because they go on to mention overloads later, but the bullet point above kinda indicates that Mastery is doing something entirely different.

I spent a fair amount of time discussing the post with my guild. I’ll just wait for Blizzard to more clearly convey what the hell is going on before I get riled up on the forums. But there’s a lot to get riled up over if things go in as written. Yikes.

1 Like

Feisty little bastard aren’t you

1 Like

Earthen rage is coming back! I may actually dust off my shaman for TWW.

2 Likes

I’m a bit worried about ele mastery. Will test it tomorrow though. But new one increases dmg of spells and then overloads now do 25% dmg instead of 85% (100 with talents).

On ptr in full conquest gear I have 41% mastery.

So will it be 41% increased dmg and 41% chance to do 25% more? Or will it be 20.5% extra dmg and 41% chance to do 25% more dmg?

Let’s suppose that’s the case.

Currently with 41% mastery, if 100 spells doing 100 dmg, it would be 100 x 100 spells + 41 x 100 = 141,000.

Post change if 41% and 41% it would be 141 x 100 + (41x141x0.25) = 141,000 + 1445.25 = 142,445.

If it’s 20.5% and 41% it would be 120.5 x 100 + (41x120.5x0.25) = 120,500 + 1235 = 120,623.

———

As we can see, overloads are negligible damage, so this also massively de-values talents that give extra overloads.

4 Likes

Ancestral guidance seems pretty hard to get now as enhance. Gotta go through spirit walkers grace to path into it which is essentially useless for enhance. would be nice if this entire side of the tree werent completely dead for a single spec (maybe just passive maelstrom generation?)

2 Likes

This is going by the changes listed on mmo-champion and with enhancement in mind.

The changes overall are good. A raid buff for all shaman is a good thing. Some abilities made baseline is also a positive. Overall, I can’t say a negative thing about any of the changes they made.

Unfortunately, I don’t think our problems have actually been addressed.

-We’re ridiculously squishy. The new defensive totem could be pretty decent (numbers pending), but the defensive improvements don’t bring us anywhere close to other melee in survivability. The new talent to reduce damage taken per elemental out will be far better for elemental.

-Ankh is still crap and has bad synergy with one of the new affixes.

-Flame shock is still going to be tedious with every pull. Even worse for elemental-

-Nothing to address our issues with target caps. The hero trees do a little, but if that’s all of our uncapped aoe then mythic plus is gonna be unfun.

-Many enhancement players feel that enhance has too many buttons and we’re getting more.

-No posted visual updates despite most of our stuff being classic content. (Ascendance model was bad even then and it has not aged well)

4 Likes

Flametongue is gonna need a big buff if Supportive Imbuements is gonna stay a Hero Talent option.

I think imma play Totemic Enhance at this rate.

They did add a 20% increase to the weapon inbues as well, probably because we were pointed out that Windfury Weapon and Flametongue do not have the same damage ceiling in the slightest.

SPeaking of weapon imbues…
Doom Winds cleaving like chain lightning.
That’d be the day. Sadly atm enhance did not get the one thing I wanted them to get lol

Windfury procs on Crash Lightning and Sundering casts, so Doom Winds does cleave.

Idk, the idea I have will never be put in lmao.
Big ol’ like tornado-ish graphic when you cast doom winds.

I do not have Beta access. I am writing my Shaman thoughts here, post initial release of information regarding the “rework” for Shaman, specifically Enhancement Shaman.

Stormstrike:

1- Why is this ability NOT Stormstrike damage? Making the ability named Stormstrike, do Nature AND Physical damage, solves a chunk of issues with the spec. Or, at least provides synergies that are fun.

2- Stormstrike needs multiple charges. A non-storm-build should get 2 charges. A storm-build should have access to talenting into 3 charges.

Deeply Rooted Elements and Ascendance:

1- These need to be in the class tree, not spec tree, so the talents can have equal parity amongst the three specs. It would be nice to have access to BOTH at the same time too, given we have the option to use two separate talents for them.

Talent nodes that are not 1 point nodes:

1- You made it a point to SPECIFICALLY call out to those people that play Elemental that ALL talent point nodes are now single point nodes. Yet, for some reason, you left Enhancement with the most 2 point nodes of any spec. Why?

Lightning Shield:

1- Why is this shield utterly worthless in any content other than solo play or PvP? Make it work like a Guardian Druid’s Brambles. Make it work off of ANY damage taken. And why does this shield, not actually, “Shield”, anything? Brambles counts as an Absorb shield. Lightning Shield should absorb too. And the resource generation aspect of the “Shield” shouldn’t rely on being hit or taking damage. It should be a passive resource generator, so it can be used in ALL content to it’s fullest.

Ancestral Guidance:

1- This talent is quite a good talent for all Shaman specs. Or at east, it was. Now, it is locked behind a talent that Enhancement has no business taking. Either make Spirit Walker’s Grace worthy of a talent that an Enhancement would take, or un-lock Ancestral Guidance.

Elemental Blast Nerf:

1- This nerf is a knee-jerk reaction to a spell that clever players have found a niche use of. This niche use is solely tied to a combination of Tier Set Bonus + Hero Talent. It is NOT an issue with the ability itself. This needs to be rectified. Revert Elemental Blast damage nerf, and find a different solution in the Stormbringer Hero Tree, or the set bonus itself.

Flame Shock/Frost Shock:

1- Why do these spells have a cooldown? Moonfire/Sunfire don’t have a cooldown. It seems that, with Flame Shock especially, having the cooldown removed on these would allow a far less clunky gameplay loop. And why bring this up? Because you have decided to keep Primordial Wave as a talent. Take away and/or change Primordial Wave, and the need for a spamming of Flame Shock goes away. Yes, we can talent into Lava Lash spreading of Flame Shock, but then Lava Lash has a cooldown too… And speaking of Lava Lash cooldown…

Lava Lash:

1- Like what I mentioned above, I’d like to see Lava Lash have the ability to have 2 or 3 charges. Having charges on Stormstrike AND Lava Lash would significantly reduce the whack-a-mole play and RNG nightmare that can sometimes happen with the spec. I would vastly prefer charges, with a few procs added in for flavor, than totally relying on procs and being dependent on them.

Ice Strike:

1- I like how Blizzard tried to introduce this as another builder. This is low on my priority list, but, would like to see Ice Strike be a viable contender for “main button spam”, like Stormstrike is or Lava Lash is. Giving Ice Strike a few charges could go a long way towards that. But, I think there would need to be more synergy with other abilities/talents than just Frost Shock and Hailstorm for this to be a thing.

Flurry:

1- At this point, why is this still a thing? It serves no useful purpose and feels very underwhelming in damage output, in class flavor, and in visuals. Enhancement players could never take this, given the opportunity to not take it, and they would never know it is an actual thing as there is little to no synergy between it and anything else in the Enhancement Shaman toolkit. Yes, it helps things proc faster. Yes, I understand Blizzard WANTS the spec to be proc heavy. But this really adds little to the spec and needs a look at. It is essentially a proc, used to proc more procs, faster. It’s a proc, to proc, a proc, and hopefully it procs a resouorce.

Doom Winds:

1- The Shadowlands version of this talent was pretty good. Not great, but good. Given the other parameters of the class and the game at that time, it fell decent to press. There was definitely a clunk-issue having it tied to WIndfury Totem being dropped, but it still felt good when things worked out well. Currently, Doomwinds is about as lackluster of a 90 second cooldown there is. Things to fix it could be:

2- Make Doomwinds off the GCD. Or, conversely, it needs to be a big hit, akin to what Primordial wave hits for.

3- Make Doomwinds castable while not in melee range.

4- Lengthen the duration or reduce the cooldown. With it’s current strength in the overarching game, It feels like it should be about a 30 second cooldown. Personally, I’d rather the duration be increased AND the cooldown reduced. I feel it belongs as a 1 minute cooldown and it should last about 12-15 seconds.

5- At the very least, make Doomwinds cast a Stormstrike at the same time, which is independent of the actual Stormstrike CD.

Feral Spirits:

1- This should be a choice node with Elemental Spirits. You choose to take Wolves? Good. You can choose to buff Physical damage with “Feral Spirits” or choose to buff Elemental Damage with “Elemental Spirits”. Then, as a cap stone, you can choose to buff your wolves, either Physical, or Elemental, with “Alpha Wolf”, which will provide AoE damage to whichever wolf-talent you chose. (Ideally, the elemental wolves would do their respective elemental damage too, not physical.)

2- Why is there no spender that utilizes a physical damage amp that Feral Spirits (physical) offers? Hmm… maybe turn some/most/all spenders into a spell-school-merge? Lava Burst could be Fire/Physical. Elemental Blast could be Elemental/Physical. Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning could be nature/physical. Frost shocked, buffed by Hailstorm, could be Frost/Physical. Or, maybe having a physical-buffing wolf out means it will add a physical damage component to your spenders, while the wolf is out? Casting Feral Spirits (physical) means your spenders are now transformed into a different school? Spitballing ideas here, but, you get the idea.

Elemental Assault:

1- Needs to be a 1 point talent for 100% gain. No need to buff the damage of just Stormstrike with it. But, if you keep that part in, why not make it buff damage of all “Builders”? I mean, it is called “‘Elemental’ Assault”, so why does it only buff Stormstrike as far as just speaking of damage increases?

Legacy of the Frost Witch:

1- Needs to be a 1 point talent for full benefit. Perhaps “full” benefit is nerfed a bit, but still needs to be 1 point. I also feel the length of the damage window is way WAY too short. I would suggest bumping damage buff to 10%, then make it last for at least 6 seconds. Blizzard buffed the length of Beast Cleave for BM Hunters a while back to be a 6 second buff instead of a very short buff. I’d like to see something similar here.

Thank you for reading.

6 Likes

20% of nothing is still nothing. Elementalist both imbuements do ~1% overall dps each. so instead of doing 2% overall now they will do 2.4%, stack on those AMAZING totemic buffs and we might get to a whole 3%!!! That’s TOTALLY worth 1 class, 1 spec, and 2 hero talent points!

Storm build, on the other hand, will get a lot out of that 20% on windfury weapon, but that highlights the massive balance failure and exactly why enhancement needs work. We have talents that depending on your build are a waste of a talent point. There are too many dependencies to make each build work and without all of them certain talent points are awful. Windfury weapon is one of them, you need 3 more talent points to make it okay. Of course we don’t have enough talent points to do that if you go elemental build making any more points into it worthless compared to other options that work with a single point.

3 Likes

I’m in shock, over the new elemental changes to elemental shaman. Lots of good changes. REALLY happy Shaman is getting some love. I hope we don’t pay too heavy a price for this change.
Cautiously optimistic :slight_smile:
Resto seems like a win :slight_smile:
Enhance, for a later patch? /shrug

1 Like