New or Future Monks: Do NOT Get Dragged Down By These Forums

Anyone reading these forums for the first time will be so overwhelmed by negativity it would be enough to make them consider quitting WoW. These forums ARE NOT the general communities’ views. Don’t get dragged down by these forums.

If you want to speak to REAL top Monk players and get REAL opinions on the state of Monk, builds, QoL options, or anything else, visit us at Peak of Serenity Discord.

There’s a reason even Blizzard doesn’t come here to look for suggestions or feedback. Do yourselves a favor, and run away.

22 Likes

I realized it’s sunday and surprisingly even at this day you can have troll threads in the monk section

16 Likes

Which is nearly ever thread in the Monk section right now save this one.

Going into BFA playing a WW monk, I lost the Strike of the Windlord artifact power and stun on FoF. The expansion made my monk an objectively worse class. These abilities filled a good niche in WW monk and there was nothing to replace them.

Sure, other classes probably got worse too, but this is the class I played. My character becoming worse not just in terms of gear, but in actual mechanics just feels bad for an expansion feature. I never recovered and switched to Mistweaver, which I never played before. I didn’t know that feeling of becoming worse.

Now going into Shadowlands, Mistweaver is also becoming an objectively worse class. They’re taking away most of the fistweaving potential, and while it might still be there with the leggo, but with the 3min cd on Chi-ji it won’t nearly feel the same. It’s happening again to my monk, and during an expansion that’s supposed to unprune.

So that sucks for me and probably a bunch of other monks. But if you’ve never had that feeling of loss, you might still enjoy monk in Shadowlands if you try it fresh. That’s how I discovered I liked the janky 1min Crane/Rising Mists playstyle of MW in BFA. That said, I’m not maining monk anymore because I do remember how they used to be. There’s alot of monks who remember it even in MOP. So go ahead and try it is SL, and join our ranks of ex-monks in the next expansion :smiley:

13 Likes

Umm I’m on the Peak Disco, I listen to the podcast. They are pretty much in general agreement with these threads. Yep monk can be fun to play and is enjoyed by many. That doesn’t mean it’s in a great spot and we should be the dog in burning house meme.

20 Likes

Yeah, I’m on the Peak Discord too. Here’s another good resource for monks or people thinking about playing monks in shadowlands.

Mistweaver:

Windwalker:

The monks in these interviews are moderators from Peak, talking about the issues the class has. I would recommend them for anyone interested in playing monk at max level. You can learn a lot.

9 Likes

I don’t know what knockoff discord server you’ve been on, but Peak of Serentiy is loaded with similar sentiments as most of the posts in this thread. The difference being idle banter and joking is appropriate for Discord, not for forums.

Go watch the video the Mistweaver community heads (who btw are all running the mistweaver section of Peak of Serenity) made with Sloot. You’ll see the forefront of the community very blatantly stating >A LOT< of things are wrong, and that we’re feeling ignored.

There’s a lot of negativity for a valid reason.

15 Likes

This guy is claiming to be a top monk in the world. Why go to the discord for answers when you can ask a world top monk in this very thread. Evidently our own monk discord doesn’t have REAL top monk players as well.

5 Likes

I love how it’s always non monks that come to our forums to say that none of our complaints are valid and monks are fine.

Yeah we’re doing so great we’re the least played class and get no attention from the devs when other classes have gotten multiple updates through the beta at this point.

20 Likes

Peak of Serenity is great but that being said, the complaints here are actually all valid - which is rare most of the doom of gloom on other classes is mostly just not liking changes.

For monks, they just are trash periodt.

I’ve been watching my favorite mistweaver streams on beta the last few weeks and two days ago, instead of bug fixes, they nerfed MW to oblivion. They were testing +13-+15 keys and having a blast and now they can’t even complete a +10 and these are the best monks in world that were easily doing 28’s on live… They all switched to resto druid or disc so they can test higher keys again.

And that’s just Mistweaver (don’t know much about WW sorry, but I assume its the same by comments here) The problems are real and there’s only 40 days to fix them. I think any complaint at this point is justified. And the assumption fixes won’t happen are also justified - considering the state these specs have been in for what, the last 5 years?

If monk is something you really like then maybe you can still have fun, but nobody is going to lie to newcomers and say it’ll be a great time and you definitely won’t be kicked for horrible performance or feel depressed that you aren’t doing as good as you’d hope and that it’s all class-based not your actual ability.

6 Likes

It will be my main. Im not a R1 player nor am I a world first player so literally nothing matters to me except “will this keep me engaged for a while” and the answer is yes and I find it extremely fun. Its one of the few classes where i dig all 3 specs.

2 Likes

Don’t mind me, just reporting OP for trolling.

9 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I’m not a top monk by any means; I might run a +10 or +11 at most every now and then. There’s nothing impressive on my profile page.

But even so, this past week’s nerfs were quite a gut punch. I was looking forward to being able to fistweave again with the new legendary and the Chi-Ji talent. But I guess if I want to do that, I need to play my paladin.

3 Likes

I’d agree with you, but wowhead is cosigning the concerns about monk going into shadowlands. I was going to go monk, but will be doing Warrior instead, which tends to be the safer class when it comes to balance.

Top Monks in a Nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RofS0lQWffU

Just pretend the Clones are the top monks in the world.

Honestly, I think Brewmaster is in a good place. MW is solid could just use some tuning (and hopefully encouragement for fist weaving).

WW monk is just a disaster zone. The idea is fun but its buggy and constantly one of the worst specs in the game.

MW is solid in PVP, and high to middle of the pack for keys, they offer no incentive to bring one for raids. The core of the class doesn’t feel good to play in either iteration of what they can do, and they don’t perform adequately when stacked up against the other healers.

You realize that is both non tank specs right?

I’m well aware. I was replying to a specific comment that suggested WW was the only spec peeking out of the dumpster. MW and WW are both broken af.

5 Likes

it really dosnt if they were good the ywould know that on beta wit hlegendarioes conduits and covenant abilitys ww is parsing hagher then most mele its a close second to sub if the yspent more time playing instead of bityching they may have known that but yeah i guess the yare good