New forum function - posting anonymously, as Anonymous

type in google pros of anonymous posting. thank you.

I think there version of pro posting is continue with trolling without taking any consequences for their actions.

1 Like

So basically, you’re not willing to put in any effort to prove your stance other than “you do the work yourself” and “trust me bro.”

Great way to seem credible :slight_smile: If you’re not willing to do the bare minimum to prove your argument, then do you really even care about it? Sources say no.

Oh, absolutely. They’ve proved that multiple times over in this thread.

3 Likes

Hmm why i need to prove anything if i know that i am right? Anonymous posting here, at blizzard forums would be great for safety reasons and privacy too.

People already asked for more privacy not less of it.

I have. Look at what I found?

Risks

Despite its positive uses, anonymity and identity shielding can also spur on harmful behaviours and generate new forms of harm, particularly against at-risk individuals and communities.

Anonymity is one of several factors that have been highlighted by our own investigations as a tactic used by those who seek to harm or abuse others online. There are two main reasons for this.

Firstly, being anonymous can make perpetrators feel uninhibited by the usual social standards of behaviour. By hiding their real identity or using fake profiles they can act without the fear of being judged for their actions or punished.

Secondly, being able to hide their real identity allows individuals and crime syndicates to pretend to be someone else and use that as a way to exploit others.

• The ease with which anonymous, fake, imposter and impersonator accounts can be generated is a contributing factor to cyberbullying of children and adult cyber abuse, as reflected in a significant number of the complaints we receive through our reporting schemes.
  • Most image-based abuse complaints to eSafety relate to anonymous accounts on social media platforms. Image-based abuse means sharing or threatening to share an intimate image or video without the consent of the person shown. It includes sexual extortion, when scammers demand money or more intimate images.
    Most investigations into child sexual abuse material involve individuals posting the content online anonymously. These investigations have shown that content contributors will go to great lengths to remain anonymous, often using one or more anonymising security measure to hide their identities.
  • Sexual predators and scammers also commonly use anonymous, fake, imposter and impersonator accounts to lure victims and gain their trust. For example, a sexual predator may use an avatar in a game to pretend they are the same age and gender as a child so they can become a fake friend and groom them for sexual interaction, which is online child sexual abuse. In catfishing cases, scammers often create a fake profile and pretend to have a personal history and characteristics that are attractive to the victim, so they are more likely to engage online and not be suspicious while in the relationship.
  • Some chatrooms and message board sites are specifically created for anonymous communication, allowing the fast and wide spread of conspiracy theories, discriminatory commentary and illegal and harmful materials, and even inciting acts of abuse, violence and terrorism.
  • Interaction with an anonymous account online can be very distressing for victims who are targeted by abuse. The fear that the perpetrator can continue to target the victim using another anonymous or fake account adds to the harm. For victims, anonymity can create barriers to reporting. This is because perpetrators using imposter or fake accounts are not easily identifiable. These fake accounts can be quickly discarded and replaced with new anonymous accounts, making techniques such as blocking and muting ineffective.

It is very difficult for regulators and law enforcement to identify and prosecute individuals and crime syndicates using fake accounts. It also makes it almost impossible for social media services and other users to deal with abusers breaching the terms of service, through strategies such as blocking and suspension, as well as preventing, detecting and removing multiple accounts operated by one user.

While conflict, harassment and targeted abuse are social and cultural problems, the role that anonymity plays in facilitating antisocial and illegal behaviour has been a growing cause for concern. However, it is important to note that preventing or limiting anonymity and identity shielding online would not put a stop to all online abuse, and that online abuse and hate speech are not always committed by anonymous or fake account holders.

Nevertheless, more can be done to ensure anonymity is not used to allow harms to freely occur. Steps can be taken by social media platforms to verify accounts before users start to operate them, or take down accounts that violate the terms of service and prevent them from resurfacing.

A balance is needed, where the misuse of anonymity and identity shielding is restricted without removing any of the legitimate benefits.

Source: https://www.esafety.gov.au/industry/tech-trends-and-challenges/anonymity

9 Likes

This part at least is a non-issue here, as if the cops or a court subpoenas account info from blizzard, blizzard will hand it over right away, along with the billing info.

1 Like

good point. I really do not get why they are brining that info here.

We have game forums, with monthly sub, personal info account and anonymous posting would work just to hide your name and profile, that’s all. Blizzard would still see all info they need.

Yeah, I know. But in terms of anonymous posting, the best we’re going to get is our characters, and not anon.

The problem with going full anonymous is that the cops might not be able to pick out which user they want, so they might subpoena the info of everyone who posted anonymously in that thread, and get a lot more info than they actually need.

1 Like

point is anonymous would change only your characters name and hide public account. nothing else.

If you want people to even CONSIDER your argument, you need to at least put in some effort other than repeating the same thing over and over like a broken record.

You complain that no one has shown proof to why anonymous posting is a BAD idea. When we show proof, you completely ignore it or say it’s fake.

Yet you won’t hold yourself to your own standard. You demand proof yet you refuse to offer any of your own.

And you wonder why everyone believes you’re a troll :roll_eyes:

You’ve been given proof of people ending their lives because of anonymous bullying. What do you say to that? Do you even care? Of course not, because it makes your argument look bad.

Those people were human beings who were pushed to their limits by people ON ANON harassing them and abusing them until they couldn’t take it anymore. And do you know what probably happened to their abusers? Nothing, because they were ANONYMOUS.

But again, you don’t care. You keep going on about how it will make people feel safe and confident yet you can’t show a single ounce of sympathy or care for anyone. You claim telling people to game end is an OPINION and not abuse. You claim anyone who disagrees with you is a harasser and a stalker. You claim anyone who offers PROOF of their claims to be fakers and liars.

How can one human being be so cruel? So heartless? You don’t care about the people who have been abused. About the people who have died because of anonymous harassment.

You just don’t care and that’s the most depressing thing about all of this.

5 Likes

OP’s obviously being paid off by big cyberbully.

3 Likes

i really do not want to talk about real life issues, this is a game forum. I come here to run from outside world not to experience it.

Also cherry picking few stories out of billions, that are even more cruel is not fair.

why is this thread even a thing?

posting is already anonymous.

4 Likes

Yeah, but think about it this term.

Lets just say there was a threat made here on the forums, and lets just say, it was a terrorism threat made to a country. Things that can happen here on the forums or within the game can spread like wildfire. Now, while Blizzard holds all the information in relation to everyone’s accounts, only Blizzard can see that information. But lets say if the police decided to get involved and investigate, it would make the process longer, and it could cause the wrong person to being charged with the wrong thing. Once Blizzard reviews any reported post, they then move it off as “job done, post gone.”

This is why Blizzard would never look at people going full anonymous, because this can cause conflicts if something extremely bad went wrong here where the police would get involved.

In fact, there was almost an incident of exactly that happening, and it was extremely recent too.

You may think anonymous posting of hiding your character names may benifit for you, but you’re ignoring the full potential risk. The risk can also cause for Governments to investigate Blizzard in such case of events.

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for stopping by. people asking for more privacy for their accounts in forums. That stalkers could not check armory, achievements , pets, link other characters.

They happened online with anonymous posting. Anonymous posting CAUSED it. If you want to escape from this, then anonymous posting is not the way because anonymous posting causes the issue.

So, basically, you’re saying you’re AGAINST anonymous posting. Thanks for finally understanding :slight_smile:

Yes, I chose one story out of billions of stories about ANONYMOUS ABUSE that people have experienced and dealt with.

Name them. Show them. You can’t just say “oh these exist” and then show not a shred of proof. “Trust me bro” is not a legitimate argument and NO ONE will trust it.

Stop repeating yourself like a bot and prove what you have to say. But you can’t and won’t put in the effort because you do not care about anyone but yourself and your own argument.

3 Likes

Looking at someone’s armory is not stalking. This has been explained to you so many times. In fact, I am pretty sure the moderation has removed serveral post of yours with this exact claim too.

6 Likes

because you’re the one making the claim

7 Likes

That is not stalking, that is checking PUBLIC information that you DO NOT OWN. It is not your information, it belongs to Blizzard. It is THEIR information.

Why don’t you message them and let them know people are “Stalking” them by viewing PUBLIC information. See what they say.

7 Likes