New Classic WoW Interview (Classic Development & Demo Feedback Response) - German Translation

Hey guys!

So there seems to be a new interview regarding the development of Classic Wow, the development of the demo and the overall developer response to community feedback regarding its development. To me at least it seems that the article indicates they have been very enthusiastic to the constructive feedback we have provided post-blizzcon and elaborates on how many of the points we have raised have lead to corrections in the game which is awesome! It also indicates however that many players of private servers provided alot of inaccurate and false feedback, based on poor and faulty scripting on said private servers and that through re-examining the actual 1.12.1 version of the game they have been able to confirm how things actually worked at the end of vanilla.

Its a good read enjoy,

Best regards,

Archeon the Aussie.

https://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cbs-News-PC-World-of-Warcraft-WoW-Classic-Blizzard-Interview-8388913.html

P.S Please use google translate to translate the page as the post is far too large to cite here.

EDIT: I thought this post was a nice summary of some of the differences highlighted by the developers in this interview between actual vanilla wow and the private server immitations

1 Like

To help others, here’s the translate link:

I particularly like a bit where he’s talking about how warlock summoning of a pet worked, in a way that is distinctly different. In BfA (and for some time before that), when you start the spell to summon another pet, the currently active pet looks stunned and then disappears when the spell completes. In Vanilla, the pet disappeared almost immediately on beginning to summon, which meant an interrupted or cancelled summon ended with no pet.

7 Likes

I definitely agree, I found that part extremely interesting and I think many private server players will be shocked to find out how the game actually worked back in the day; rather then on these guess-work replicas.

2 Likes

Oh, and this a little earlier - which resonates with a couple of other threads on not being “The Hero” and returning to RPG roots (allowing for a little clutziness in translation, and with my bold for emphasis):

Take, for example, the achievement of the maximum level. In the “WoW” Extensions, we use the level phase to the new maximum character level to tell the story of each add-on and to provide a context for the world. Once you reach the maximum level, the game really starts. Your character gets stronger by collecting new items and finds allies in the guild and dungeon browser groups, dives headfirst into the next raid to defeat the strongest enemies. In “Classic”, leveling while experiencing your adventures in the world was a big part of the actual game. The world itself was one of the main characters that played an important role in your hero’s story. In today’s “WoW,” quest content is more of a fast-paced, curated and story-driven experience. In the classic “WoW” quests are more open and free. The players found their own ways through the world, developing strong connections to the world and the other players they encountered along the way. - Omar Gonzalez, Senior SW Engineer

2 Likes

That’s neat that they looked up whether or not charge put you in combat. hopefully that means rogues will be able to interrupt charges with distract.

2 Likes

They asked about BC and WotLK servers. And got the only answer I would have expected, of course, but it’s clear that the concept is one Blizzard is aware of. (And BC and WotLK servers, not “progression” servers.)

‘A perfect example of this is the manure browser from today’s “World of Warcraft”,’

Very clever, Google Translate.

7 Likes

The original is Dungenbrowser if anyone is curious.

1 Like

hahah gold

Yeah I once pointed this out in a Reddit thread and got savaged for it by the private server community. But its true. A lot of the stuff private server players think is Blizz like isn’t, they just dont remember or know any better. Its going to be crazy seeing such a large community cry and moan about mob armor levels, resists rates, mechanics on bosses (Mara is going to be a big one with Princess, Landslide, Rotgrip and even Celebras being hilariously undertuned and/or incorrectly scripted). When the private server guys take deaths to these mobs and mechanics because they are different from what they experienced on Private Servers, you can guarantee this forum will be filled with cries of Blizzard “getting the scripting wrong” when its actually correct.

Even some of the loot drops on the bosses in instances is surprisingly incorrect. Its going to be a madhouse. I have a ton of actual vanilla footage from these places and collections from years back from Warcraftmovies and Google Video (remember that?) that will show that the Private Servers had it wrong. Its going to be interesting seeing how all the Private server experts react…

Edit: I should mention it goes both ways too, Some things on PServers was OVERTUNED, so some stuff will end up significantly easier as well. And let me clarify since its being misunderstood. This is NOT an attack on private servers. They have put forth a herculean effort to achieve what they have so far, do not mistake this for disrespect please.

9 Likes

I know these interviews are more or less a free advertisement opportunity but I really do wish they would ask just a little bit more pressing questions than “What other personal experiences do you associate with Vanilla?”

I definitely agree Cipherr,

and you are right there are definitely instances where the private severs are extremely undertuned e.g on a interview with Nano (one of the developers of Nostalrius); on either Classicast or Count Down to Classic he admitted that Firemaw was extremely under-tuned on Nost with the Fire Buffet waves having their time between over doubled on that given private server. Where-as on retail during vanilla Onyxia was literally downed by 40 Priests at one point (with them tanking her easily) and this is definitely not achievable on the majority of private servers.

It will definitely be hilarious when the private server players join and complain that their false iterations of the game are the true versions of classic wow.

1 Like

Same deal with with me on reddit and the private server folk. A lot of them are really toxic. They don’t know any better, but that’s a ton of koolaid they drank. That being said, Classic also won’t be an accurate representation of Vanilla either.

1.12 numbers are great, but they still have to go through the Retail number grinder.

I love all the private server bashing on inaccuracies, followed by zero evidence.

I’m not saying private servers are correct. But I’m also not the guy claiming they’re horrible without a lick of evidence to back it up.

this is true but it will be FAAAR more accurate then any private server, purely because its based on the actual game which they have a working version of 1.12 in their studios and they arent just running off assumptions and guess-work.

well one came from the Nost guys meeting with Blizzard, that thread is around here somewhere.

1 Like

I’ve seenn videos of vanilla wow magmadar where his aoe fear was 15 seconds cooldown while on private servers it was 30. Huge difference.

1. Read the interview

2. Go read that reddit post from the nost dev himself when he is talking about all the things they had to ‘guess’.

Yeah it’s the reddit thread AMA with one of the Nost team members. They said they got laughed at when they asked about the accuracy of said raid.

ahhhh… did you even read the interview? the blizzard dev team literally using the 1.12 game as direct evidence irrefutably said that private servers and their players are wrong.