Need/Greed system is outdated

Are you done editing or reposting to make it seem like you know what you’re talking about? Or should I wait for you to finish.

except those are also legit uses for rolling need.

Gear is only for a few weeks, transmog is forever.

Also without the 400+ crowd standing to gain something from the boss kill they wouldn’t be there. And if they’re not there, you’re left with the 10k dpsers, tanks with 200k hp and 10khps healers… and bosses wouldn’t die.

It may work out to be the same, or close, chance of getting something, but that isn’t the point.

If a given item DOES drop for you with personal loot, there’s zero chance that someone will take it from you due to rolling need.

That’s the difference.

This is a new and interesting topic that didnt already have almost hundreds of topics discussing it.

“Additionally, players can’t Need on a piece of loot if they’re wearing the exact piece at the exact item level” -Blizzard (https://www.wowhead.com/news/blizzard-clarifying-how-group-loot-will-work-in-dragonflight-and-no-weapon-boes-329108), although they changed to to exact piece at same or higher ilvl in between then and release.

Now I happen to know it worked for trinkets in pre-patch because It did not let me roll need on a heroic shadowed orb of torment when I had a mythic one equipped.

Transmog is a legit reason to roll need, as mogging an item does use the item.

Until you have the item in your bags in GL, it is not your item. Once you have the item in your bags, everyone else has the exact same options under either system. But before the item is in your bags, it is not yours.

You do understand that
A - they can’t just roll “need” upon “everything” right?
B - even in PL they would still be given loot they wouldn’t ever use, the only difference is you didn’t see it happening.

I do agree PL should come back as an option, along side group but not because it is a bad system. But because then people’s feelings for losing loot to others apparently won’t be such a big deal.

Is that not how personal loot works? If you see an item in your loot window, it’s yours. Even if you don’t loot it, it’ll get mailed to you?

Using personal loot, if I see a bow in my loot window, and someone else doesn’t, they can’t take it from me.

How often I see what I want is irrelevant. Or have I misunderstood personal loot?

Because you had already won the hidden roll to get that item.

GL has the boss roll what items drop, then it asks the players if they want the item, before rolling who gets them.

PL the boss assumes everyone wants something, so it rolls who wins an item, then generates an item for them.

How exactly did the old system prevent someone who vastly outgeared LFR from getting gear?

And that’s the point. Your argument to my original statement made no sense. I said, “if I see it, it’s mine” and you said, “not until it’s in your bag,” which wasn’t true in PL. That’s what confused me. I also said, “how often that happens is irrelevant,” meaning I understand it’s still RNG. However, the psychological effect is very real.

Moving on…

PL? it didn’t.

GL does something to prevent some of that, PL did absolutely nothing.

And that attitude is part of what I’m suggesting is the real problem here.

Which is why I don’t understand these, “Bring back PL!!” threads.

Exactly. They ask for PL, when complaining that they system is acting too much like PL in this one aspect.

1 Like

Isn’t this…like…pretty much the crafted system?

Kill bosses/complete dungeons, get primal focus or concentrated primal focus, use 10 of them to craft a normal/heroic/mythic raid level item with perfect stats in any non-trinket slot once every 2 weeks?

Every week for doing content you’re getting a vault item and every other week a strong crafted item even if you never win any loot rolls in dungeons or raids.

Then the roll already happened and you won. That’s the only difference. I still blame blizzard for everyone’s confusion on this, but the system itself is sound, and objectively better than personal loot.

You literally cannot “need on everything”. You can only need on loot you can use.

That’s not the only difference, though. Another difference is that the rolls happen automatically, with no input from the player, as there are no need/greed/pass buttons.

I’m not particularly fond of either method to begin with. I’d rather bosses drop token, and everyone who participates gets one. Then spend them on the things you really need or want at a vendor.

I’m not into the chance for a chance for a chance at something. That’s just stupidity, and Blizzard is sitting back laughing.

411 would still win items with personal loot. Cackling would continue. Nothing would change.

1 Like

But they get their feefees hurt because they saw themselves lose a roll.