Nathanos knew all along

I know next to nothing about how Zovaal judged souls before.

Its kind of ironic that the place that masters in necromancy and souls can’t separate the two in the afterlife. You’re making me want to see a this new unknown reality Zovaal is talking about, screw the SL.

3 Likes

Blightcaller sided with the Jailer because Sylvanas did. He probably didn’t think about it beyond that.

Well, it’s said in Before the Storm that Sylvanas truely feared the Jailer and the afterlife, it’s presumed it’s because she would end up in the Maw.

Nathanos also believed that he would go “to damnation” by her side so afterlife in the Maw seemed like an imevitability.

They may have joined the Jailer just to escape the Maw.

Since I already consider you my SF friend and a respectful person you’ll get a:

1 Like

Let’s be honest, he probably thought it could be fun.

I’m still disappointed he didn’t get to train his own Mawsworn army.

1 Like

What little we know about Zovaal being the Arbiter came from the first hints of it in Grimoire of the Shadowlands and Beyond before the Primus verified it at the end of the Covenant Campaign:

The attendants insist that their Arbiter has always been fair, impartial, and implacable. Yet in my research, I discovered certain ancient references to a time when this being was not quite so benevolent. But so worn and fragile were these records that I fear I cannot, in good faith, avow their veracity.

At the very least, love is something that everyone(mostly) can identify with. Some of us can even understand crazy in love. On the other hand we still don’t know what the Banshee Queen’s end game looks like. Could what she wanted be worst than this twisted version of love that Blightcaller answers to?

1 Like

Fast forward to the part were the robot arbiter can’t even separate necromancy from an original soul soul nor can she identify a soul that is split. Benevolent maybe, kinda, sort of…efficient no.

I wonder how the new arbiter will do in that regards. In reality, it’ll likely never be talked about. We’ve seen how much screen time Forsaken souls have gotten thus far : (

Edit: if it doesn’t happen in SL…well lets just say I don’t get my hopes up.

While many people complain that they don’t understand Zovaal’s motives, to me it seems it might simply be that being appointed to judge all souls in existence probably bloated his ego to the point of believing that all of reality, not just the afterlives, should bend to his self-important will.

3 Likes

True, that’s a question I found myself asking, is a soul’s undead existence included in the Arbiter’s judgement ? Sounds incredibly unfair. Undeath makes people very prone to do terrible stuff they would have never done in life, both because the condition is horrific in itself, and because they almost systematically face rejection. That was the whole point of the Zelling storyline in BFA I think.

As of Nathanos, I always thought the guy had something very human and touching. Love him. Not sure why, because he really is a douchebag damn

4 Likes

Cdev have been showing their hand, really every since WoT. I’m seeing things as face value, but a little elaboration would be nice.

You’re right, and per your example Zelling is one of the ones that I can say remained almost exactly the same in undeath.

You know what’s unfair:

They were written different. It’s that simple.

In theory… this is where the “souls as a rope” thing bridges gaps.

In “eternity”, in the Shadowlands the strings come together and the souls become whole. But, TBH, I detest the whole posit so much I’d rather not dig into its guts and end up covered in the mud of how that would actually work.

Yes. It’s a horrible concept to allow to fester, I’m sure they don’t know how to fix it though, and so it’ll be ignored.

They left that in a mess with Denathrius. We don’t have a way to know the new Arbiter wasn’t contaminated by Denathrius. Story needed to fill that in, one way or another, and it hasn’t.

They probably are still working that part out themselves.

The easy story road remains her being convinced that was the only afterlife, and as such it being unfair.

4 Likes

To add to the examples of undeath affecting a soul, we now have distinct examples of Night Elf souls that were trapped in the Maw for as long or longer than Delaryn and Sira, yet the Night Elf souls that were taken from the Maw right to Ardenweald and never subjected the undeath did not have personality changes, even after being exposed to the torments of the Maw.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, because I can’t endure you calling me out again(lol), you’re saying that the quick yeet to the MAW and the resurrection didn’t necessarily affect their souls, it was the necromancy.

2 Likes

Idk, there’s that scene in which he reunites with his family, they react poorly and he goes loco and attempts to hurt his child, and so her wife says that her husband would have never done that in life. I really thought this was supposed to show how undeath (and its consequences) impacts you

2 Likes

I vaguely remember that scene, did he really try to hurt them? Oh lawdddyy.

Did he want them to join them in undeath?

Edit:

I remember him having a lot more honor compared to your stereotypical Forsaken.

Nah he just wanted to reunite with them but they didn’t recognize him and treated him like a monster, so he lost it and nearly hurt his kid out of grief/anger/idk

1 Like

He’s saying you can take Summermoon and Sira, who were raised into undeath.

Then compare them to souls saved from the Maw, where they were tormented but not raised into undeath.

Comparing the two shows that raised into undeath is the apparent link to personality changes. (He is not saying a short time there.)

Feel free to correct me if that’s not what you mean @Amadis.

That is indeed what I’m saying, given Delaryn and Sira have changed personalities from undeath, but the other Night Elf souls that went to the Maw did not.

1 Like

Sira was on the path to questioning the causes she has been fighting for in life, before Undeath.

I wonder how that will play out.

2 Likes