Nathanos just went down to level 40s

I used to kill this guy with barely more than 10 people.

You could even pull the dogs separately if you knew what you were doing.

1 Like

Another thing to chime in, as a warrior I often took things up to 5 levels higher than I was because they dodged a lot. Dodge = Overpower. Overpower cheese was a thing, so maybe some of this was utilized as well?

Still, they should miss just as much as the next class. If they are cheesing the mobs because of it, I think Blizz should think about tweaking it.

That’s just how the game works

Ranged attacks in general still have to put up with misses but not dodge, parry, or glancing blows.

It makes them really good at taking down things higher level because the miss chance alone isn’t nearly as problematic.

This guy was actually quite hard back in the day and was meant to be tough. Our raid guild downed him easily enough, but it did take a number of us to do it. I can’t remember exactly how many of us there were, but I’m thinking there were at least 20 of us.

It was a lot of fun though. He never was just some simple elite to go in and easily take down. So while he wasn’t quite a raid boss, he sure wasn’t just some simple elite either. It took a number of people who knew what they were doing.

“I don’t agree with the conclusion, so I will find the conclusion I do like and go from there.”

This is how you get flat earthers and anti-vaxxers, folks.

8 Likes

Come on now…remember everyone says they are better players today ?

And Blizzard came back on some other numbers and said that’s the way the game plays on their reference build.

Its not so much about hit rating as much as it is the other combat mods. Parry/Dodge/Glancing/Resist are HUUUUGE reasons why low level people cant damage higher level mobs in WoW. For some odd reason though, the devs made arrows immune in classic to Parry/Dodge/Glancing, and they cant be resisted either. So all thats left is Miss.

Now Hunters do have a normal miss rate, but miss rate doesn’t scale up with levels as fast as Parry does for example. (Blizz says a level 63 has 12% parry vs a level 60, and 8% dodge). The outcome is arrows are like… 80% chance to land, because the only thing that applies is miss rate. And once they land, theres no glancing to lower their damage done… so they do full damage. Add in an aggro drop every 30 seconds with feign death and the hunters do lots of damage without pulling aggro. Its the perfect combo for killing high level stuff.

Honestly, it makes archery overpowered compared to spells and melee vs high level mobs, but I figure its just something they forgot about perhaps? I dunno, it stayed that way for several expansions too.

yea… i raided end game as hunter, as a hunter you go all out, feign drink… all out again, your single target damage is insane, since you can reset your threat over and over, meaning you are “effetivly” the only class that can do more damage/threat then the tank…

its funny, the feign resist is important in the survival tree, since if you get your feign resited, you need to wait out a cycle or stop to not agro…

in any case, going off topic, to sum up, hunters is the one reasons they can do what they do…

It was an intentional RPG mechanic.

All ranged attacks use the same mechanics, and in terms of in-universe justification, it’s very difficult to parry or dodge a bullet.

I’m not sure about glancing blows, though, I suspect that was an oversight that became a mechanic.

So, since a lot of these streamer groups are blowing through content not necessarily because it’s “easy” it’s because they are cheesing it with twinked out hunters?

2 Likes

I don’t think so. That boss used to wipe a full raid of level 60’s.

And to be honest this isn’t just a hunter mechanic. Warriors were also shooting nathanos with their ranged weapons rather than melee’ing because they had a higher chance to hit.

1 Like

It has nothing to do with ‘making things hard’. It’s simply: how was it in Vanilla? If this how it was, then this is what it should be in Classic.

Pretty much, most groups attempting dungeons several levels higher than them are brining at least 2 hunters, sometimes 3.

No idea if this guy was always that easy to down, but lol … that’s just dumb.

Yes, he wasn’t a simple elite. He was a raid quest. He’s about on par with trash pulls of ZG (which usually contained 4-5 elite mobs of the same level with about 20k hp a piece).

If people knew what they were doing and geared enough? Could probably take as little as 5 people.

Remember, Thaddius (the last boss of the construct wing in Naxx) was taken out by 1 tank, 1 healer, and 38 fire mages because ignite used to be stupid op and kept stacking.

1 Like

alot of those players have gear or pieces i at time had at level 60, pre 60 dungeons and raids… i mean the mark trinket, is one example

in before, patch notes or it didn’t happen.