Name Violations

So…I have a toon that after 15 years (May have happened once before) has offended someone. Before everyone stops reading, this isn’t the my name isn’t in violation thread. This is the if you’re gonna quote the EULA then I would hope that the GM would atleast read the damn thing. Basically the best I can find in it is that Blizzard owns the game and can do what they want. Cool. What I’m pointing out is I had a review in like 18 seconds and was told I was in violation of something that never explains their naming concerns. Now I’m hoping someone can explain how community editing is not a bad idea. Atleast put out some guidelines and then actually stick to them instead of waffling in the wind everytime the political climate blows the wrong direction. Now I am willing to admit that the name is right on the edge of the line but it never crosses the no sexual organs, no slander, no copyright, no in game characters, no swearing. So how is it in violation? Just because someone doesn’t like it and a GM makes a bad call what’s my recourse? What if I go hunting on all the other servers and this is the only server that someone didn’t like my name? The name of my undead mage is Rottencrotch. Wrong you say? Why. No sexual organs. If you think about it, no sexual at all. Rotten? Undead check. Crotch? The crook of the legs. Huh. But you put them together and the world might end. Oh, totally toilet humor and very happy to admit it. But not really a naming violation offense unless you get the wrong GM who is gonna err on the ban him first and fix it later because then I can’t get in trouble. Well I’m not willing to give up 15 years because someone wants to play social police. Someone please have an “adult” conversation about this and explain. It’s a game, I get away from the real world and all the unwanted social neediness only to be PCed right into reality. How about letting me stand before my accuser and getting my day in court so to speak. No hiding behind a monitor like some keyboard cowboy riding in to save the day…you didn’t, you just ruined someone else’s day!

2 Likes

All GM’s are bound by the same policies.

So appeal it, if you haven’t already.

The forums are not an avenue to appeal nor are they one for discussing account action.

No, this isn’t a court of law. Blizzard is, and always will be, the arbitrator.

18 Likes

The name is sexual. You saying otherwise doesn’t make it not. Trying to use nuance meanings of the word does not negate any of the other common meanings of the word.

Don’t be naive. You knew the name was offensive when you chose it.

You got your day in court. Blizzard ruled the name was offensive.

The GM did not make a bad call. You made a bad call when you chose the name.

If you want to have and “adult” conversation, be an adult. Chose an appropriate name.

You can not appeal a character rename over the forums. The only way to appeal it is by following the directions in the email you received. The appeal is not to state your case. It is not a court of law. You don’t get to “stand before your accuser”. The appeal is simply to have another GM review the report and either agree or disagree that the appropriate action was taken.

16 Likes

Blizzard’s In-game Code of Conduct:

Blizzard games offer a fun and safe place to interact with one another across various game worlds. We encourage our players to cooperate and compete in our games, but crossing the line into abuse is never acceptable. If you come across a player violating the policies below, you should report them.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.
Names are subject to the same rules established above.

Do you require any further clarification?

11 Likes

So, not looking for an appeal here. Looking for better avenue of discussion to re-appeal. Again. Appeal took all of 18 second and the email was cut and paste with 2 dead links in it. One to the EULA and one to the Code of Conduct. So…since both links are dead ie have not been check in years would be my guess and I actually went and read both to no avail (very vague descriptions to give lots of wiggle room, all in the GM favor) I would like an argument or direction to go in. Doesn’t seem a lot of though was put into it just “someone didn’t like it so it must be bad” change it attitude.

If someone did something bad to me or my loved ones and her name was Janna? Does that mean when I see toon named Janna they should have to change their name? I did like it so the name janna needs to be banned on every server and whipped from the face of the earth. Sounds kind of stupid right? So does banning a risqué name like Rottencrotch.

​​​​​​​​​​

9 Likes

You’re more than welcome to report the name Janna. I don’t think it’s going to turn out the way you think it will.

9 Likes

Ok, and how does Rufflebottom not get the same treatment? Still risqué still inuendo but you don’t see to have a problem with it. And I’m not talking about I just made this toon this is unfair. I talking 15 years is fine and now someone gets the Rufflebottom in a twist and it’s a problem

So report Rufflebottom’s name, if that would bring you joy.

You’re not much of a rules-lawyer if you immediately fall back on ‘but their name is bad too!’ That’s the argument of a toddler.

15 Likes

If you have a problem with it, report it and let Blizzard decide. I would be disappointed to lose it, but I would be adult about it and choose another name.

How long you have had the name is irrelevant. It was reported and Blizzard agreed it was inappropriate.

5 Likes

That’s the question I have. I haves an entire guild who thought the name was hilarious. Most of the people I play with actually have laughed at it. So is it just one person? What’s the number before you get reviewed. How many people? What is they are all friends and one person didn’t like it or got owned and now wants their entire friends list to get me banned

If the name violates the Code of Conduct, it only takes one report.

11 Likes

How many people have to see you violating the rules before you get in trouble for it? Is this a serious question?

8 Likes

It takes one report. If the name is fine, the name is fine. You’d never even know you had been reported. If the name isn’t fine, you’ll get to pick a new name.

If you think a mistake was made, make an appeal. The email you got should tell you how.

8 Likes

That’s the point. You see it as violating the rules yet I telling you this is the first I’m being told it’s offending someone. Yet you think “I’m right in the side of right so I’ll just keep driving the point home”.

If I came in here saying I saw this name and I thought it was funny would you run into the server to report it because you didn’t like it?

And I’m telling you it doesn’t matter how long you’ve had the name without it being reported. If it had been reported the day after you rolled the character, it would have been flagged. There is nothing anywhere that says “if you can get away with it for X years, you get a free pass on it”.

12 Likes

I find it hard to believe that you didn’t think it would offend someone when you made it 15 years ago.

5 Likes

Unless OP is currently in his early 20s.

4 Likes

Well, as a teen I would have known someone would find it offensive.

2 Likes

So, the account isn’t banned and your review doesn’t do anything for “change your name”

Your missing the point. Or maybe I’m not explained it where you don’t get defensive. I’m not trying to sway you to my side. Didn’t figure that would ever happen. Your hard lining like there could never be a mistake. And I’m not saying there was. Already admitted it was right in the line and risqué. Forget the name for 2 second and look at just the someone didn’t like my name and it was flagged. I would like some accountability and a non cookie cutter cut and paste answer.

Your telling me “your name is in violation deal with it”. Point me in the direction to deal with it is guru god of the social police. Show me not cut and paste 2 useless links that don’t pertain tell me how to get an answer line “yep, funny name but you need to change it”