Name Violation - Account suspension ( i am paying a game that i am afraid to play)

Guy back in Cata on my BNet account made a character named “LynchN-Words” with special characters and it lasted for almost a year before it got reported for not being an RP name. He was given a warning and a name change, but didnt get a ban. He had to break the name system multiple times on different characters before actually seeing a ban. So my guess is you’ve broken the naming rules many times previous to your ban and they finally caught up to you.

Did OP ever tell the name? I wanna know lol it hehe.
Edit: Nevermind he said it. Big rip. I guess you know, don’t use names that has sexual meanings in it idk lol.

There is no naming autoban. If too many people report you you get a forced name change immediately.

Reusing a name that is in violation will get a suspension.

Sometimes people want your name and they steal it by reporting you. Then create a character with your name.

Although, some names are just offensive and I’m not sure how I got past the character creation screen with them. I wasn’t too stressed when I got flagged for a rename – I usually pick these names for alts I have no intention of playing to max level.

If the name got banned ONCE, its purely moronic to think “I’ll take the same name again, I won’t be banned!”

Because it can take time for them to add names to the permanently blocked list. And from the sounds of it, you created the NEW toon with the banned name shortly after the first name got banned.

I’ve been playing WoW for about 8 years, and I’ve seen less than 5 names of friends I played with that got a name change. Because they took the time to think about how the name could be interpreted.

One of them, I considered it tame, but I can understand why it was banned.

I have however seen HUNDREDS of names that should be banned, but because people use fancy characters, the filter can’t detect it.

So you could use F (you know the word) but use special ascii characters and the filter will NOT see it as offensive. Because it can’t translate that into the actually offensive word. People try and pull that stuff off every day, thinking they’re too cool and they’ve fooled the system. Well, only because Blizzard hasn’t taken the time to create a more robust system to check for things like fxxx(all special characters) and go “CENSORED!”

1 Like

You don’t have to be afraid to play if you name your characters properly.

Like instead of naming your character Roflcopter or whatever the kids these days are saying on the world wide web, name them something that an actual person of that race in that fantasy setting would have as a name.

5 Likes

am i missing somthing because i didnt see any mention on what the characters name is/ was.

Word usage changes over time. what was acceptable 10 years ago may not be now.

Blizzard name penalties are reactive. Someone has to report the name to them. They don’t scan the armory for possible offenders.

When they tell you to change a name, and you change it to the same thing, they regard it as a slap in the face and respond accordingly.

The best way to avoid a potential penalty is to self-report the name(s). They will not penalize you for doing that. Their interest is in removing the name from use, not playing “gotcha”.

To self-report, the best category to use is an appeal - even if there is no action to appeal - and explain that you feel that your character name(s) may no longer be appropriate.

1 Like

I am going out on a limb here. . but probably because if they revealed that we would all be like. . Well DUH!!! Get out now!!

hehe

It was Sweetbutt but with the A word and not butt. (I ain’t tryna get banned yall lol.)

3 Likes

Yep, a def DUH.

Why you make me change a name I knew would be reported blizz? Ahhhh man!!

hehe

I just want to know why “Shane” isn’t allowed. I tried looking it up to see if it’s used in another country as a dirty word but cannot find anything.

SUSPENDED for a name violation? Must have been pretty gnarly or a repeat offender, only happened to me once and my wife once and all that happened was we had to choose a new name before we could use the character again.

That being said, don’t fear the reaper if they ban you now just means you have more money for steams autumn and winter sales when you finally get tired of the abuse and keep your money for something else.

I had this same thing happen to me for my Mage. It’s a name I had been using since WOTLK and then suddenly it got reported for being “Offensive Sounding” It was a Finnish word with a required alt key that makes the pronunciation different in English but I can see where some people might feel like sounded offensive. I had other alts with the same name on different servers as well as on Vanilla. All I did was open a ticket and explain to the GM that I was sorry and Asked if he could force the name change on my alts as well. He was happy to do so. Probably took me half an hour to resolve the issue. So don’t feel afraid to play just have a GM flag the other alts and explain you did not intend to be offensive.

Their name policy is strange. I used a name on my DK once that could be consiedered offensive by some, though it’s pretty tame still. I got reported for it, logged out out the game and forced a rename. Funny enough I just used the exact same name on the rename prompt and continued about my day. That DK doesn’t exist any more, the name now belongs to my paladin and my DH is using a variation of that name more fitting for the class.

The combination ‘a-s-s’ can’t be banned from naming as it also used in many many words like assassination, compass, impassive, class, glasses, embarrassment, cassette, passion, and more.

I played a kids game where the word ‘kill’ was banned. But they never told you which word in your notes or pages was the culprit… It was ‘skill’… most of the time. Or ‘nut’. In a game that had playable squirrels… Be glad Blizzard isn’t blocking all possible ‘bad words’ but letting the players decide what is and isn’t tolerated.

1 Like

…uwu.

:wolf:

1 Like

Along the same lines as being considered offensive to some. I had a friend (former friend now). Back in the day of PVP servers anytime she got ganked she would report the person for their name repeatedly and have her Husband do the same. Making up some reason why it was offensive to her. Part me wonders if some people do the same now like with your name and OPs name and my old mages name. The Salty will find a way to report

Crazy idea: Stop trying to be an edgelord with racy names.

6 Likes

Grabs popcorn and waits for Sunday.