[N Event] Assembly of the White Tiger

Came across the segment from an old video on Katori Shinto Ryu. This one shows the sword drawing kata, iai and batto; distinguished here by starting positions.

There’s a group that hosts a monthly Jed’hin tournament. OTOH I’ve always thought that there must be some wrasslin’ going on in Valley of the Four Winds even if only on the down low.

A demo of either one might be a fun presentation for someone to make in the Martial Techniques category.

I just really wanted to share this somewhere.

I’m pretty sure I put this in the last thread as well. A compilation of Zatoichi being awesome.

Found a video of Sumo training.

There were two others but they’re close to an hour long.

Another bump to kick off the new month. We’re mere weeks away now. Also here’s some videos of Shinto Muso Ryu Jo.

On a related note Steelpaw’s Imperial Tournament is the day before the Assembly. Feel free to check that out.

I swear it is only a coincidence that I’m pushing it on one of my Steelpaw characters.

A sparring video, because why not?

Here’s a showcase of techniques from the Gladiatoria system.

Also, since I can’t remember if I have or haven’t on this thread, I want to leave a quick reminder to stock up on Elixir of Tongues. I may be able to provide some but I’d strongly suggest not counting on that.

A video on halfswording to celebrate the end of the week.

Some Bajiquan applications.

… 4pm. Guh. I’d need to be up at 7am for that… but this ks exactly what Dao-Yi wants to improve. The decisions…

1 Like

Last night while looking for a decent quality short video actually demonstrating fighting techniques with fans I came across something I had never heard of. “Eight Drunken Immortals Sword”. In other words tai chi style jian (straight sword) techniques combined with drunken boxing movements. There’s a couple of old low-rez video on youtube of a very young Jet Li back in his days as an athlete demonstrating it. Some other masters as well. I’d love to see the technique used in a free sparring video, or in a wuxia film. Like that scene in True Legend, except with swords instead of jars of alcohol.

“Dear Blizzard: give us ‘cosmetic animations sets’. I’d love to have a Windwalker wielding swords ‘4 Drunken Celestials’ style.” Just sayin’.

2 Likes

A Shaolin staff demonstration.

Here’s a short video of Tameshigiri.

Some Saber fighting.

Got something a bit more obscure; speculative works on Historical African Martial Arts, particularly Dambe and the Shotel.

A couple of short videos of fan forms:

“Wudang Happy Fan Form” is the best I’ve found so far for showing what it might actually look like in combat even though it’s just the practice form done at full speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7SnpEDNCY

It can be hard to see the subtleties of what he’s doing, so here’s one where the moves are done slowly - tai chi style. It’s also got each move labeled with the traditional name. Might be some inspiration in those for IC names or descriptions.

“52 Fan Form Names”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBFbA4aiRgE

A fighting fan would have the ends of the ribs sharpened. So it may be easier to understand what the fighter is doing by thinking of the closed fan as a sword parrying or stabbing, while the open fan is slicing or else functioning as a small shield.

@Yonara I hope the Assembly is popular enough to go on for a couple of hours or so. OTOH … If possible could Kunbo’s presentation be placed early enough in the order to allow him to leave by 6:30 & prepare the teahouse for the evening event he hosts ?

1 Like

No problem at all.

Ten more days, folks!