Mythic+ has probably damaged WoW worse than anything ever added

well wow is a dnd rip off after all

Except a LOT of people do keys above 10 where gear doesn’t get better so that’s patently wrong.

5 Likes

Oh he’s a tank lol, no wonder he gets in groups.

The other puzzling thing I find is that folks that, understandably, get frustrated with not getting invited don’t also turn to those in this forum that agree with them and say ”hey, you want to group up and do some keys since we’re in the same boat?”

4 Likes

I’m not a big fan of M+ myself, but I know that it’s a big part of what people love about modern WoW. I don’t think it’s damaged it so much as it’s kind of given people a detour from the old main road of quest > dungeons > heroics > raids.

5 Likes

no i just want to get carried by inviting 520+ players to carry me through the +2

Finding raid groups as a tank can be harder than DPS since you only need 2 tanks, so most PUG groups in LFG already have those slots filled.

1 Like

Many of them seems to think, and in my opinion that’s wrong, that raids are tuned with m+ gearing in mind. Is it faster to also do m+? Well of course, as with every other sources of gear, if you also do them, you get further faster. Who would have thought…

Yeah 100% harder because no matter the size of the group, you’ll always going to need only 2 tanks. Healers is the best role to get invited in raids.

1 Like

They’re two entirely different things.

Maybe what you mean to say is that “M+ killed off grinding for gear in the Raid.” Because THAT is certainly true. The avalanche of, not only just gear, BETTER gear than you get from raiding has changed WHERE you are getting your gear. But it hasn’t stopped anyone from actually raiding.

If anything, it’s just annoying that I now feel I have to grind M+, which I find stupid and annoying, because I’d be a fool not to pick that utterly low hanging fruit.

Run a +8 and get a GUARANTEED Mythic item??!! Are you kidding??? lol

But I’m not doing that INSTEAD of raiding. Raiding is the real CONTENT.

M+ is just a means to an end.

I keep using the analogy of speed running old 8bit games. There’s a whole community now of people that speed run Castlevania, or Zelda, etc. Hey… good for them! But nothing about finishing Zelda in 22 minutes makes it BETTER. To me, it’s entirely missing the point. You’re just doing “speed runs”… because there is NOTHING ELSE TO DO.

That’s what I think of M+. Once you master the dungeon in that 8-10 range, anything more is just… boring and stupid to me. Hey, glad other people get into it but … it’s not a real game mode to me.

Raiding is the real game.

3 Likes

Mythic+ didn’t kill off PvP. It was someone with no knowledge or experience with developing or playing PvP experimenting on PvP expansion after expansion and doubling down with each failure that killed off PvP.

You nailed it, that’s exactly the way I feel about it.

Or the lack of any new bg since what, WoD? Or the killing of PvP servers. Or the scaling up of pvp gear making them irrelevant in non pvp content. There are so many things to blame before pointing at m+.

1 Like

anecdotal experience does not matter whatsoever

a new starting player should not have to download 2304823 3rd party things just to be able to do content, and you would need to with how the game currently is

1 Like

Nope you don’t need to. My rogue friend doesn’t have any of those and he now has KSM. And he’s a new player.

3 Likes

anecdotal experience and youre ignoring the point

They don’t have to at all. You can do all content aside from the very peak of difficulty without any addons.

4 Likes

Your experience is also anecdotal.

1 Like

Using words like “welfare” gear, I’m not sure much of a discussion is to be had.

M+ is not in and of itself a bad thing. Although I was not a ‘current’ player when the mode was introduced, I’ve slowly come around to it. It’s an interesting mode and one I think many players wanted in some form or other for years.

When I first began raiding, it was during WOTLK and while the raids of that era were certainly long enough and fairly difficult enough to provide several months worth of replay-value in terms of reaching any sort of B.I.S. or possibly even raid completion. With that aside though, the weeks were rather bare outside of “raiding”. Sure, you had Heroic dungeons, but once your singular character had progressed enough in rep and/or gear, heroics were essentially a ‘breeze’.

Even the 25 daily quests weren’t really enough of, or even the type of engagement, end-game players wanted ‘more of’. It was the raiding, or end-game avenues to gear that many players wanted ‘more of’.

To that end, I think the solution given on Blizz’s part is a fairly happy medium.

One does not have to stop at their 3-9 hours on a raid each week anymore if THAT is their desire. The exclusivity of gear between the two modes does make for some gearing and optimization issues, but those are small-potato issues next to the bigger issue of player engagement outside of raid-logging.

As someone who enjoys group content for the collective challenge as much as the individual challenge, m+ provides another avenue to those interactions and challenges, on a repeatable loop. I find this refreshing and nicely complimentary to the previous, only gear at end-game by raiding or PVP’n/RBG’n method.

While we can possibly make issue with the ‘upgrade system’ to the current gearing paradigm, I feel that it serves as Blizzard’s one limiting factor in order to extend the shelf-life of said current content for whatever horizon they’ve deemed, be that 3 or 6 months, etc, in terms of the crest system. Even inside that system, you can still move up and max out your weekly crest limits at a good pace, respective to your individual and collective group skill.

This can lead to other positives. Some groups/guilds/friends, etc., can progress and supplement that progress in raid with progress in M+, which in turn can supplement their progress in raid. In the old method(s), your raid could not progress outside of raid progress for the most part because you could only acquire the better gear in the raid. Now you can possibly get a few pieces from M+ throughout the week to supplement your raiding prog and vice versa as you go. This may certainly make it feel like players with limited time are very pressured to keep up, I acknowledge that much. But in terms of your invested dollar, I think it adds to the value. Even if a particular raid tier doesn’t knock me out in terms of visuals or bosses, or mechanics, etc., at least I can explore that avenue in relatively the same difficulty via M+ and what that season’s bosses/dungeons are offering too.

Overall I find it a positive addition to the game, while it does have its negatives, most of that is in terms of balancing, which I feel Blizz could do a better job of, across the board than they do, but the mode itself I don’t think is a blight on the game as a whole.

There is some concern that they might use the popularity of M+ to justify cutting back on resources devoted to raiding and that wouldn’t please me, but as long as the two can co-exist from a development standpoint, they can exist from my perspective as a player.

I’m not a fan of some of the affixes or the application of more and more mechanics, but I guess ya gotta shake things up in some way…

1 Like

its not “my” experience.

its many new players’ experiences which is not a single anecdotal example, it’s the example of many players’ experiences

you DO need to download raiderio, dbm, etc to be able to enjoy most of this games current content.

the barrier to entry for a new player is genuinely disgusting.

1 Like

Many years ago, I may have been inclined to agree somewhat… but after a sufficiently long absence from WoW, it’s a bit more obvious about what’s really going on.

Mythic+ is not the root cause of WoW’s problems.
It’s a symptom of deeper and longer-running issues.

And what would those longer-running issues be?

• Domineering focus on “endgame content”, predominantly some variety of dungeons, raiding, PvP… pretty much all types of content that seem to foster a more competitive playstyle.

• The general obsession with gear progression, which again is due to that fostered competitive playstyle.

• Something of a wider disregard of those who are more not mainly interested in content that doesn’t really feed into the above in some way. Stuff gets added in every so often, but there’s rarely (if ever) any proper consideration to make it into an actual “evergreen” system.

As the old saying goes:

“Don’t like it? Then don’t do it.”

Easier said than done when you’re caught up in the never-ending hamster wheel that is this game’s obsessive focus on power progression… but the only way to break that cycle is to drop the root cause, which is to ignore the power progression and only do what’s necessary to meet your objectives.

And it’s surprisingly easy once you realize how puerile “make numbers bigger” is as a motivator.

2 Likes