Mythic Dungeon Tools Addon now behind paywall

Ya, that’s just a part of life though… Dealing with douchebags… At the end of the day, the customer ISN’T always right. Sometimes you just fire the customer.

What you don’t do is sink down to their level and simultaneously screw over all the other customers who were more than happy to wait.

2 Likes

You’re the one doing mental gymnastics to ask the question in the first place. It’s very clear that the data is central to the point for the addon to exist, and withdrawing a specific portion of the code and putting it behind a paywall doesn’t change that. These are all semantic arguments and everyone on both sides of the argument knows exactly what has happened.

People should not, ever, be able to pay for addons to perform better than they do when you download them. This doesn’t mean an iffy wishy washy downloading a profile for elvui, and even the tsm stuff is questionable, but when it’s a widely used addon for a widely popular aspect of the game where the data in question is 99% of the point of the addon, the line has absolutely been crossed.

This isn’t a courtroom, there are no standards of proof or anything else; Blizzard decides where the line is and then stomps on the people who cross it. If they don’t stomp on this person it is open slather for all performance-related addons that exist in the game. Every single popular addon can have its basic, most important data removed from the addon and put behind a paywall, with the same moronic claim that “oh, no functionality was removed, you can put it all back if you want to!”. No.

This isn’t slippery slope fallacy, this is pure fact. If this is allowed to stand then every performance-related addon in the game would be crazy NOT to paywall their “data”.

If you want to remove the whole addon and stop providing the data, do it. If you want to provide the whole addon with the pivotal data that it functionally needs to run, do it. If you want to withold part of the addon in the hope to charge money for access to it, you need to go lie down in a ditch.

7 Likes

Lol its like saying this car is fully functioning, you just have to connect the starter button…

A vital component of its function is missing therefore it isnt functioning at all.

2 Likes

No that’s not true, because the schematics to build a starter button are there, you just have to learn how to metal craft, go to the scrap yard, buy the materials and build one.

No harm done, clearly not witholding vital functions of the car.

I get that it’s free, so don’t take this as complaining about not getting free stuff the way I want; it’s not. I don’t care if this addon is available or not. If it’s available, it must be fully available. If it’s not, it must be removed entirely. It is the practice of charging for part of an addon that functionally is required for the addon to function for the purpose for which most people get it, that is not ok and that practice needs to be outright banned.

1 Like

RIP MDT :confused:

Imagine allowing the WoW communitity to use and enjoy your addon for years, then get all upset on his live twich and complain to his viewers. Now the addon is behind a paywall, it is technically useless without paying for the data to USE the addon. Although he may think he found a loop hole, this will come to bite him in the butt regardless. Especially to faithful viewers who has enjoyed his non-ranting content.

Not that it matters much, I will no longer be viewing his content since he feels the need to take his butthurt out on his own community. Good way to ruin your brand.

Imagine caring about WF in retail. WFs really don’t mean much anymore.

Little more than a guideline when it says “must”.

I’m sure Blizzard will sort it out. And if this stuff is okayed, then I’m done with addons because I refuse to pay money I don’t have to people.

Imagine someone actually wanting to be paid for work. It’s a pandemic and people need jobs. Give them the $5 or whatever.

1 Like

Imagine not having 5 bucks.

Like it or not, donations to add on developers is optional, and it’s likely to continue to be such.

I don’t mod Skyrim expecting to be paid for it.

1 Like

You don’t need it. I’ve never used a special addon for Mythics and We were melting 15s like butter by the end of BfA.

No, I don’t.

Doesn’t mean I’m not against the idea in principle.

It was some dude being super toxic to him and pissed him off during RWF that acted as the catalyst to this, unfortunately.

As far as TOS goes, though, it isn’t against it unfortunately. People like Sloot for example require you to be a Twitch sub to get access to the Sub only discord that’s got his WeakAuras. Maybe he’ll come around and be less toxic, who knows

Reverted to old version (v3.3.4) and ignored all the future updates. Everything seems to work fine as it used to be. Waiting for alternative now.

2 Likes

It’s not against ToS but it’s definitely against the rules Blizzard put in place and they can and should act on it. The addon is basically just a map now, map that we can already see ingame, unless you pay a fee. It sets a bad precedent if an addon this popular starts charging for key functionality.

Blizz said specifically in the past that addon authors must not charge for any part of the addon. This addon will either go back to being free or be banned by blizz.

1 Like

He could…idk…choose to not do one of those two things if they are mutually exclusive?

The end result of this addon is that noggie is charging for his preferred routes, which is still blizzard data. That is not allowed.

I will expect a Blizz smackdown soon.

1 Like

Honestly, it would serve the guy right. There’s already an aptly named replacement mod, and I strongly encourage players to switch to that.
Manbaby Dungeon Tools

We gotta show these addon makers, we won’t put up with this. He may have in fact killed his following fanbase and public image because of this.

2 Likes