My thoughts on UI, post PTR

You know, it’s easy to just write this off with comparison photos of my addon setup then and now, vs the blizzard edit mode, but i much rather explain why my opinion on this has lowered over the course of 1.5 months.

Though if one wants pictures, thou shall have them under neath this sentence. Consider that your Taxed Largely; Didn't Rent.

Ignore the Titan Panel and Sexymap.

Imgur

I have played on a trial character to take a glance and well… All the issues i had are still there, plus all the other nice features that Bartender4 and Leatrix Plus that i omitted, that personally should’ve been in there from the start. Would you believe me that i’ve noticed more issues that i’ve didn’t notice until now?

But first, let’s get the pros out of the way, because …while i just said awhile ago it’s a nice foundation, it’s a foundation worthy of it’s own merits… Yeah, i’m really sticking to the house metaphor here.

So let’s take a look see, shall we? :slight_smile:

1. Class Bars: So instead of taking up the existing action bars we had which previously we had 4 - 6 at all times, now we can have all 8 plus 9, because Blizzard created 4 class bars specifically for classic stances, like stealth, druid forms and so on.
  2. Importing/sharing UI’s: It’s a legit nice feature to have and share, not just for yourself, but with other people as well.
  3. Controller icons: Yeah, no more “PAD + BUTTON 1” or whatever it was (unless your on BT4, which is the only downside of having BT4), we got full on Xbox icons baby.

…And i think that’s about it…

Before i go on, let me strike a technicality off real quick. This certain user below me has given us commands to rescale/move minimap and move XP bar.

So it is possible without addons, it’s just hidden in the options. Problem is it didn’t work for me. As in it didn’t save for me. Not honestly sure to have it be an issue, considering we don’t have the option to change UI elements like that to begin with so…

/Throws it back up in the air, accompanied with a cartoon whistling up sound effect.

Now here’s the issues i’ve just noticed, since i’ve already covered them on PTR, we can just skip to the new issues.

1. Minimap tracking options are nearly gone in favor of the automatic tracking: Why? why why why? What is so bad about this? I don’t need to know where the innkeeper is, i want to know where my focus and target is. The fact i had to download an addon to bring this functionality back shows just how… silly this idea is.
  2. Modern default setup has the Healthbar in the center: …Okay, who looked at Far Cry 6 and think “Yeah, that’s the perfect spot for our health bar to go to!!”?.. I get it, it’s there for efficiency reasons for raiders and such, but for people who are familiar with… really any other video game, their usually tucked into a corner to not intrude on the gameplay that most likely happens in the center of the screen.
  3. No Dualshock icons: Look, i know Blizzard is owned by Microsoft, but that shouldn’t stop them considering Blizzard made the controller support for accessiblity. And some controller users play with Dualshock controllers. I get putting in every single gamepad button that we had in history would take so much resources, but to leave out one of the two popular gamepad controllers? Especially since it’s symmetrical design makes it easier for people to use a controller like that… Like why?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
  4. Saving issues: This is something i’ve never experienced so take this with a bucket of sand, but i’ve seen a lot of threads discussing bugs and errors with the edit mode not saving when it should be.
And the rest of the issues will be found in my PTR thread that i'l quote here underneath details.

Art.

And if i may transition to objective issues to subjective issue for this part… i don’t think the new art showcases the incredible talent of the Art Team. Now i’m not going to say “oh it looks like a mobile game”, because being honest, i don’t see any mobile game that looks like that tbh. If anything, their usually overdesigned in some of them. Or just old console ports.

But i digress, my problem is their clean. Which is i don’t think it’s a positive that should be said because all that tells me is that it lacks personality in it’s art, and doesn’t immerse me into WoW. It looks more generic then something i associate with this game. Like if Ubisoft designed their own Everquest clone and put in radio towers in it.

And this is something you have to look at 100% of the time by the way. This isn’t a rock texture that looks like a moldy sponge that some intern used, and you can just not stare at it, it’s the UI. I get the argument that functionally matters more, i get it. But that argument can be applied to pretty much anything, and if you’re looking at something for a good amount of time, why not make it look good the very least? Those things don’t have to be an either/or situation.

What's the intention here?

And a lot of people will seem to think having options at all means it’s automatically much better. Better? i suppose so… Much better? No. The purpose of the new UI is to be like Bartender4 and other Addons, but if they can only accomplish the bare basics while skimping out on a lot of important options to few like X and Y position sliders or boxes, it’s reasons why i think they should’ve held off on this until they get this completely ready if the intent was to get people stop using Addons. If that was not the intent, then pray tell, what is then? What is the point of the new UI’s existence then?

That’s like the new “next gen” consoles getting graphic presets to switch though. I mean okay, it’s a step, but without customizing your options however you like to like you can on PC, is it really enough to convince value of those consoles? In the same way of the value of the new UI?

Before i end off..

Some might think me giving my opinion on this, will deny them from liking this change. That’s not the point, the point is to point out the wrongs with it to help people formulate their opinion on it on if they like it or not. You can like the change even if it’s objectively not better or objectively worse changes, i see no problem in subjectively liking something like that.

What i ask you however, to not use your like or positivity for something for malicious intent, like trying to coerce and gaslit somebody into liking what you like or to just essentially be a jerk towards somebody in order to defend it. Like, can we not do that? Even if there’s people who are doing the same thing but hating the UI, doing the exact opposite will not make them hate the UI any less. All it’s doing is pushing people towards their extreme positions and it just makes the entire thing look bad. :expressionless:

For the sake of Metzen’s Skateboard collection, all i ask is you look at this situation with nuance here.

If you’re not the person i’m talking about here, then don’t worry, you’re fine. :+1:

Anyways, if you have thoughts, keep it civil the very least.

3 Likes

Basically it comes down to more options being better. They shouldn’t have taken anything away and in fact, I believe, they could have done better. I don’t mean that in a rude way, but Blizzard is always making odd choices. Another thread was somebody posting about the silver dragon portrait being taken away, that is an odd choice (it’s coming back I believe). My reply was not having more options in the UI like being able to silence the talking heads or shrink the extra action button…among many other small things I could list.

My main point being More Options > Less Options.

I don’t play with controller so I’ll leave others to speak on that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Uh oh, did Blizzard give in to the haters and add the old default UI?

Ahem. :point_down:

You can tell me however Rigatoni, why do you like the UI changes though.

I mean, they’re easy to use and it’s just sort of nice because then I don’t have use bartender anymore and keep updating it.

Well i’m glad you liked it.

It is simple, though me personally, it’s not simple in how i (and those who want choices) want it to be. Because i honestly like having tons of options to go from, having the freedom and such. Like moving my XP bar or minimap how i like to and how i do it. Even if it does come from the cost of simplicity. :slight_smile:

/pets my PC like a cat.

Isn’t that right blue?..

1 Like

You can move those things.

But i can’t save them. And it’s a hidden option that isn’t on the menu. As i’ve said in the OP. At least, it hasn’t been working for me.

In Bartender4, it allows me to save them.

You can save them and share them… play around with it.

Maybe i’ve missed a command or two, because i honestly don’t know where else to look on Blizzard’s UI to find the option to move and save the XP and minimap locations.

I think at that point, i’l pass. Bartender is going to be the way to go for me going forward, since it’s much easier for me to do that personally.

I do and don’t like the UI. It feels reactively 2022, but it looks 2013.

I actually really like the slightly baroque sensibilities of the old UI. Things like the little nicks and dents in all the metalwork on the UI frames, as though they were real things our characters had carried on countless battlefields, really draw me in and I love them. The new UI elements just look so lifeless in comparison.

The funny thing though is, it was originally very generic. Around 2000 that’s just how fantasy games were made, with little frills and background details in the UI that were, functionally speaking, just clutter - but, I think, clutter that had a very important role in the look and feel.

3 Likes

I think it’s easier for you to do because it’s what you’re used to. I’ll admit, I still like using bartender due to it’s clean look and I don’t have to keep the art frames but

Yeah, exactly. I only like the new UI in terms of not needing another addon. I might go back to bartender because I have everything saved on there. Like the new UI isn’t bad but it just looks really simple and plain looking, I don’t know there’s just something that bothers me about it but likes at the same time.

3 Likes

In the wider software UI design space, that sense of physicality might be referred to as “skeuomorphism” which loosely means “imitating physical objects for no function beyond embellishment”.

It was popular for a good chunk of the mid-late 90s up through the early 2010s. If you used an iPhone running iOS version 6 or under you might remember the Notes app mimicking the look and feel of a real life notepad, the Calendar app appearing to have paper pages bound by leather, or the Podcasts app made to look like a reel-to-reel tape recorder. That was peak skeuomorphism.

That was all wiped away when flat squares took over with the release of Windows 8 and iOS 7. Software has been hopelessly drab ever since.

2 Likes