My hopes for Ret in Shadowlands

If topping the meters is all that matters then you should embrace the FOTM approach to WoW

Not trying to be snide, but that is the best way for someone like you to maximize your enjoyment of the game.

The realm/world first raid groups all play multiple classes and switch between them patch to patch.

Don’t complain about any single spec being top DPS because no one is on top forever

Except it takes blizzard years to fix anything. You could buff our generators and nerf our spenders for an overall dps buff of 5-10% without breaking us for PvP and we still wouldn’t be close to fire mage.

That’s why you do FOTM. Then you just pick what’s best each patch.

Considering how slow they are to balance, you only have yourself to blame if you choose to play an under performing spec

Or you can continue to bark at the moon.

Your advice makes sense for a game like league of legends where the matches are less than an hour but people have been playing their characters for years even decades. And there is no good reason why we can’t have balance within 1%. Your point is moot.

1 Like

If all you care about is topping the meters then this game, WoW, has a way to do that.

Rerolling is how players ensure they are in a position to be at the top of whatever strata of the player base they are in from a skill perspective

Playing a character for years means that you know some patches … and some entire expansions … your main may not be in the top half.

Ret has certainly had patches and expansions where they’ve been extremely competitive across various aspects of the game, whether it be raiding, BG’s, Arenas, etc.

Now is not one of those times.

Adapt or die … or bark at the moon

Blizzard doesn’t care

So with prot pally obviously getting a cooldown reduction on HotR due to slow holy power generation, how about reducing some cooldowns for ret, too?
Source:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-paladin-class-changes/490700/76?u=belerian-aegwynn
Granted they take the holy power generation from Judgment because it does something else for prot.

1 Like

Great!!!, a blue post on Paladin Alpha feedback and still nothing to be hopeful for Ret Paladins, this is so frustrating, how this developers ignore all the feedback giving to them… i just can´t anymore.

5 Likes

At this point I’m pissed off

5 Likes

Datamining suggests that Divine Tempest is coming back, but we also got quite a nerf on Empyrean Power. Cons cd seems to be lowered to 9s (was 12s).

Would prefer Final Verdict, but I guess this will do.

2 Likes

Though whats the point of a moving divine storm if it only hits 5targets.

Its just gonna be a damage increase to divine storm.

Agreed. Ret has turned into a combo point rogue with no damage and no fun rotation. I want to play it so bad but there is a reason I don’t play a rogue let alone a less engaging version of it.

They talk about bring class identity back so why can we get something that made us unique back like seals but with a modern touch. Like activating seal of righteous you gain similar effects to inquisition but when you judge it, you get similar chance on hit effect to divine purpose when attacking the target. I mean I’m just spit balling here but it seems like there are more options than just boring holy combo points!

Divine Tempest is nice for AoE/Cleave scenarios. The target cap though still sucks. I’m not a fan of this. They’ve tried it before and it failed hard because those specs who weren’t capped ended up dominating almost every other aspect of the game.
The Cons cd change is good as well. Hopefully in tuning we’re not required to have 100% uptime on it.

Its frustrating, I agree. I’ve played ret since I started in Wrath, and the devs have been so out of touch most of the time. The few times they get it right they immediately back track.

I think the major issue is the number of iterations ret has had over the years and when people started playing, and what they fell in love with. Wrath and MoP I think were the two high points for ret, with everything else feeling way off.

2 Likes

So looking at Empyrean Power and Divine Purpose at this point one of them should just be baseline. 15% proc chance is really bad (given that one procs of our a**-long cd Crusader Strike and the other from our finishers) and doesn’t justify them as talents. Both of them were already baseline passives in earlier expansions albeit slightly different iterations.

Also: why the nerf for EP? Because of Divine Tempest? Unnecessary to nerf the proc chance, a damage nerf would have been enough. Or was it to bring it more in line with FoJ and BoW? Then I have a crazy idea: STOP NERFING decent abilities, START BUFFING scrap abilities.
FoJ could easily have 20% cd reduction for CS and 20% proc chance and still wouldn’t be op. BoW could get a slightly higher proc chance or let BoJ deal holy damage.

5 Likes

I don’t think the two are related. Templar’s Verdict procs Divine Tempest.

Nope, Divine Tempest was the Legion artifact ability that projected Divine Storm 20y forward and also increased its damage passively. So there is a reason to nerf EP if you have Divine Tempest. Granted that we don’t know IF Divine Tempest is to be implemented and how (i.e. legendary, talent, baseline,…).
Wowhead just lists it as a new ability declarated as artifact trait.
https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/news=316772/shadowlands-alpha-build-35078-spell-and-class-changes

I must have been thinking of something else then. I could have sworn their was a trait, or set bonus that caused tv to also cast ds.

That’s the new Vanquisher‘s Hammer ability from Necrolords.

1 Like

Yeah it’s plain stupid to nerf a talent because it’s going to have a good synergy with ‘‘maybe’’ a future legendary. Is it so bad for Ret to have synergy for once in its lifetime?

You’re also nerfing it just because you think everyone will use said legendary. So I’m nerfed on purpose if I don’t use that legendary? That’s some weird and trash reasoning.

6 Likes

Thank. Been playing a long time. Some stuff starts to blur together over the years lol.