Mutilate vs Sabre Slash

Yeah, but you don’t need to nerf rogues best ability to bring it in line, you need to buff the other option in a way that makes it useable.

1 Like

It should have never been 40 energy in the first place. I don’t consider that a nerf. That is putting it back where it should have been from the start. They made an entire rune dedicated to dropping backstab and ambush to 40 energy then moved mutilate for free. It was a garbage decision then and it remains a garbage decision now.

1 Like

You dont consider taking Mutilate from 40 to 60 a nerf because in your head it should not have been there… What is the point of having a logical conversation with you then.

2 Likes

As much sense as this makes.

They can’t take an L that they did something wrong so… Gl

1 Like

I do agree it’s the only option for pvp. It would be nice if they were more comparable for that.

The tooltip doesn’t reflect the damage amplification but it is still there. SS is buffed compared to Live.

1 Like

It was originally 60 energy in phase 1. It was panic changed to 40 in phase 2 when they figured out just how bad the rogue was going to be that phase. Then they didn’t revert it in phase 3 because whiners like you would have cried.

See the thing is I can’t have a logical discussion with you because you don’t even understand just how design breaking 40 energy mutilate is.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize the tooltip wasn’t reflecting that.

Actually, I was stating how much worse Sabre Slash is than Mutilate. You stated it wouldnt be a nerf to nerf Mutilate. That is not whining. Logic would state taking Mutilate from 40 energy to 60 energy is a nerf. That is why we cannot have a logical discussion. If there is a balance reason to do so, then fine… But you are being disingenuous.

2 Likes

It was originally 60 energy in sod! Saber slash absolutely needs to be buffed. But they won’t be able to get a good sense of how much they should buff it until mutilate is back to 60 energy where it started. You are hyper focused on whether it is a nerf. I am saying it doesn’t matter what you call it because the class as a whole can’t be balanced when mutilate is 40 energy.

The plan with the class was balance around a 60 energy mutilate. Saber slash in its original iteration worked when mutilate was 60 energy. Blizzard clearly thinks phase 3 saber slash is too strong so they gutted it back to where it was in phase 2. The issue is that if they are going to keep mutilate at 40 energy, every other combo builder now has to be insane to be a viable alternative.

1 Like

Mutilate is a two button rotation so the devs QA could test it to 100% perfection in about two minutes.

2 Likes

Which is absolutely wild to me. Saber Slash is playable but still below Mutilate. You can’t PvP as a Saber Slash build either and it does notably worse on a few fights.

:dracthyr_shrug:

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I also think this is crazy. The only thing I can figure is that they have some stupidly overpowered 1h sword they think is going to push it beyond mutilate. Even that sounds stupid when I type it out.

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve told you already why you’re completely wrong about this. Take the lesson and stop posting bad opinions.

1 Like

Every other version of the game thinks you are wrong, but hey you do you.

1 Like

And none of those other versions are SoD. Just like how many other runes behave differently in SoD compared to other versions of wow, mutilate was adjusted based on SoD balancing.

We’ve had this discussion already and I’ve countered every single one of your terrible and poorly thought out arguments. Before you respond, just go read it again and maybe learn the lesson this time.

4 Likes

Feel free to stop responding to me anytime. Mutilate was designed to be 60 energy even in sod. Slaughter from the Shadows proves that point.

Blizzard has done a poor job with the class. That doesn’t mean mutilate at 40 energy is correct. It simply means they came up with a band aid they haven’t been willing to rip back off because doing so would require them to actually spend time on the class.

So yeah, mutilate will likely remain 40 energy because it gives them 1 less class to actually work on.

2 Likes

They didn’t. The tooltip just doesn’t reflect the buff damage. So the Devs buffed the skill.

Until it needed a buff to compete. 60 energy would nerf mutilate to unviability without serious damage buffs to compensate. All for your argument being the illusion of CP builder choice.

1 Like

Nah, the real issue is that there is no viable alternative to deadly brew in the chest slot making it so going deep into the assassination tree is required. That removes the option to use the combat tree. Mutilate exacerbates this by being 40 energy while playing off deadly brew too well. You get close to the damage of backstab, you get 2 hits to proc instant and deadly poison, and you get 2 combo points for the same energy expenditure as saber slash.

If there was a viable alternative to deadly brew there might be a reason to go deep into the combat tree which does actually have a different play style. You could potentially make up the difference in combo points with hat. You could potentially make up the damage output with backstab or one of ss attacks. What you can’t do is make up the energy savings for that output level without massively buffing other combo builders.

And this is why I think they haven’t actually spent time on the class. They basically created a single viable spec and then cemented it with a 40 energy mutilate. With a 60 energy mutilate you could potentially use other generators. With 40 you could if they massively buff at least 1 other generator. Hopefully the saber slash change really is just a tool tip issue. If so, maybe it will be fine.

2 Likes