Mutilate vs Sabre Slash

Every other version of the game thinks you are wrong, but hey you do you.

1 Like

And none of those other versions are SoD. Just like how many other runes behave differently in SoD compared to other versions of wow, mutilate was adjusted based on SoD balancing.

We’ve had this discussion already and I’ve countered every single one of your terrible and poorly thought out arguments. Before you respond, just go read it again and maybe learn the lesson this time.

4 Likes

Feel free to stop responding to me anytime. Mutilate was designed to be 60 energy even in sod. Slaughter from the Shadows proves that point.

Blizzard has done a poor job with the class. That doesn’t mean mutilate at 40 energy is correct. It simply means they came up with a band aid they haven’t been willing to rip back off because doing so would require them to actually spend time on the class.

So yeah, mutilate will likely remain 40 energy because it gives them 1 less class to actually work on.

2 Likes

They didn’t. The tooltip just doesn’t reflect the buff damage. So the Devs buffed the skill.

Until it needed a buff to compete. 60 energy would nerf mutilate to unviability without serious damage buffs to compensate. All for your argument being the illusion of CP builder choice.

1 Like

Nah, the real issue is that there is no viable alternative to deadly brew in the chest slot making it so going deep into the assassination tree is required. That removes the option to use the combat tree. Mutilate exacerbates this by being 40 energy while playing off deadly brew too well. You get close to the damage of backstab, you get 2 hits to proc instant and deadly poison, and you get 2 combo points for the same energy expenditure as saber slash.

If there was a viable alternative to deadly brew there might be a reason to go deep into the combat tree which does actually have a different play style. You could potentially make up the difference in combo points with hat. You could potentially make up the damage output with backstab or one of ss attacks. What you can’t do is make up the energy savings for that output level without massively buffing other combo builders.

And this is why I think they haven’t actually spent time on the class. They basically created a single viable spec and then cemented it with a 40 energy mutilate. With a 60 energy mutilate you could potentially use other generators. With 40 you could if they massively buff at least 1 other generator. Hopefully the saber slash change really is just a tool tip issue. If so, maybe it will be fine.

2 Likes

Or add an extra combo point to sabre slash and lower its damage accordingly and open up all the weapon options.

They could just as easily make it so it crits more frequently allowing it to benefit from hat. That would increase the output while also passively adding combo points.

That only fixes PvE, it does nothing to touch PvP, so the point stands. Mutilate viable in 100 percent of content. Sabre slash only in PvE, so anything but daggers worthless. Every rogue that does both is stuck with mutilate

Last I checked we can dual spec, so I am not sure I agree with this. You could do swords for pve and daggers for pvp.

If you are saying there is no way to avoid mutilate, then yeah. I agree.

1 Like

Deadly brew needs no alternatives. It exists purely to make poisons useful and not a pain to maintain like they were in vanilla. They could make it baseline and give rogues actual choices for the chest rune, but it isnt necessary.

Again, I already told you what would need to happen to make this work and it requires a rune offering conditional bonuses to other builders. Vanilla just isn’t built that way. There is always a best builder and nerfing mutilate will just change it to something else. I dont know why you refuse to understand that.

P4 has us going deep enough to pick up BF as daggers.

Also, nothing is stopping you from going a combat sword build. The damage is close enough that you can play what you want. It’s not like SoD is designed for anything remotely challenging where you need every last bit of dps.

1 Like

Nobody plays purposely bad specs anymore unless you’re the raid leader.

If you did any of these changes you remove any choice.

If saber slash gives 2 cps it’s now far ahead of Mut

If Mut is back to 60 energy than it is now far below saber slash.

In both scenarios you’re playing saber and now no one is Mut.

And what about making it so saber slash crits more frequently allowing it to trigger hat more frequently and increasing its output that way? Seems like it would be just about right.

I do like it how everyone just assumes that mutilate to 60 wouldn’t come with a potential buff elsewhere to make it so mutilate is still viable.

1 Like

They already buffed mut to not be 60 energy and you keep preaching how it should now for 2 phases lol.

It’s staying 40 energy lol.

Making anything more damage just means people will play that.

1 Like

I keep preaching it because it pigeon holes the class.

1 Like

40 energy mutilate is fun. It’s just such an ugly change to make to revert it to 60.

1 Like

It was going to be like that no matter what.

If it was your way then you would be pigeon holed to be saber slash.

Maybe. Or perhaps they might have taken more than 5 minutes on the class design.

I don’t expect it to be done in a vacuum. I would expect other changes to make it so it remained competitive. Then again, given how little effort they have put into the rogue, they probably wouldn’t make additional changes. #sigh.

1 Like

If saberslash awarded 2 combo points rogues would be pigeon-holed to go swords which is your same complaint with daggers.