Multidollar company? Why does voice dialogue disappear?

omg I’ve never seen that…! epic! lol!

1 Like

This has persisted for months for me. I thought it was just my PC but I tried reinstalling on a different drive, no addons, etc. Nothing changes.

I’d like to enjoy the story pls

4 Likes

It’s a bug since 9.2.7 launched.

3 Likes

Yes it’s a huge bug. Story is totally missed in half of Shadowlands because of it, while also happening to a lesser extent on BfA and older expansions. People who enjoy the story and lore will have a real bad time.

2 months and this bug isn’t fixed yet.

3 Likes

I joined BfA mid-expansion. They gave me a boatload of quests with no guidance on which ones I should start with. I later found that already they had removed a fair amount of quests. Later they put some back. It was totally confusing, or would have been if I cared, but they’ve worked really hard to train me not to care.

I spent an hour and a half today on that godawful mandatory platform jumping quest toward the end of the maldraxxas campaign, and I seriously almost quit campaigns. I went to wowhead and people had been saying since the start of the expansion that they almost quit the game over that quest.

What’s wrong with people who would design a quest they know people are going to hate so much some will quit over it? After all that work people invested in their covenant, they find a really stupidly designed quest they can’t do.

I did the Veteran of the Fourth War questline this week and some of the dialogue would not play. I didn’t even get any text for it. There would be random silence around a group then someone would speak as if they were replying to someone.

2 Likes

Weird, it happened to me, but only in BFA and SL. All other expansions dialogues are able to be see, I wonder what makes only these 2 expansions have this problem

1 Like

Definitely isn’t just those two expacs. I’m currently leveling through MoP and experiencing the bug in random dialogue-heavy quests. Kael’thas also isn’t triggering his usual monologue in Tempest Keep.

1 Like

Really? Damm, and I wanted to level my druid in Wod, lot of heavy dialogue quests

2 Likes

Retail client has not had any significant data trimming. The exposition files are still there. The trigger that starts the exposition script you missed out on is just bugged. WoW is mostly just a big ole table of LUA scripts that point to art assets. It is a messy thing to work with and these errors crop up, and are largely permanent until that content is entirely reworked. You barely ever see bug fixes in WoW patch notes except for the most commonly interacted with content.

I make a bug report about the broken music at Citadel of Loyalty about every month since 9.1 went live and it still there. It’s a horrible bug, the music track starts playing then resets about 750ms in. it just plays that opening half of a note over and over and over rapidly. No one wants to touch the scripts over there with a 10 foot pole because no one who worked on them still works at Blizzard. If they try to fix little things like that they break 10 more things.

It is a problem called spaghetti code. You go to rewrite a script so it works better, but you didn’t know that 3 years ago as part of someone else’s bug fix, part of the old bugged script you are working on is a dependency in a bug fix that is propping up some other system. So you go fix whatever script is causing the music to reset, but then your change somehow causes rogue’s daggers to not show up in instances anymore. You can’t see any way these things interact, it may be obscured through 4 layers of dependency. But, no one put these pieces together that this change made that problem, and a 3rd person uses your commit as a dependency for 2 other fixes, and then a 4th person uses one of those 3rd person’s commits for something else, then no one knows which bug came from where or when any of the new bugs in questions actually started happening. And person 2 just left to go work at Riot and their documentation was purposefully wrong because they were mad someone ate their sandwich out the fridge. Group coding is big fun.

1 Like

This seems pretty significant. The story/lore/dialogue is am important feature for an MMO especially WoW. If it doesn’t work that’s a serious problem. I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten much attention.

4 Likes

I thought I was the only one who noticed that music bug in the Citadel of Loyalty! Drives me nuts when I go there because it just feels like there should be music but it’s just this repeated startup of drumming noise. I wish I knew what the track was that’s supposed to be playing!

Either way, the amount of bugs on retail shouldn’t be an excuse to let such a large bug as the dialogue bug go unchecked. New and returning players are having a miserable time with it.

Quests are the core of the game.

4 Likes

2 months and no fix for this major bug. Unacceptable.

3 Likes

"Maw Walker, we have much to discuss. "

1 Like

Proceeds to stare at you blankly for 30 seconds for non-existent voice over dialogue.

2 Likes

That must be what Blizzard thinks considering they decided pushing out an updated Auction House was more important than in-game dialogue actually working.

2 Likes

Are you doing the story line or threads of fate? You are not going to get exposition in threads of fate.

Still no fix. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m experiencing this issue in BFA with the questline ‘The Pride of Kul Tiras.’

2 Likes

I do. I really like the story. Big Sylvanas fan here.