MT - my thoughts, tips, advice

Yes, yes, we’re all sick to the death of MT threads. But, I wanted to make a thread detailing my own experience and thoughts as I went through the journey. Imo there was too much mythologizing regarding the tower. I’m not a top player, not a 1% (I suppose a 3%er according to that one stat). I initially only wanted to get sets for classes I got artifacts on: disc priest, unholy dk, fire mage. People’s fearmongering over the tower made me afraid of taking the challenges, but once I got into it I realized it’s not so bad. In fact, I could totally get the spell-tome mount.

I did the following for my MT: Holy Paladin, Retribution Paladin, Frost Mage, Unholy Death Knight, Frost Death Knight, Discipline Priest, Guardian Druid. I also did Fire Mage and am probably gonna look into getting sets for my other classes.

From easiest to hardest: Agatha, Sigryn, Twins, Healer, Kruul, Tugar, Xylem.

Most frustrating to least: Xylem, Kruul, massive power gap Tugar, Twins, Sigryn, Agatha, Healer.

These are based on my own experiences, with classes that I picked. Spec’s particular challenge will vary.

Made a long post of thoughts and tips and such, collapsible if you’re curious about any of them.

My thoughts on bosses. Mostly fair, but disliked Xylem and Kruul.

What made me frustrated with Xylem and Kruul is that p1 is very long and tough (at least initially) so you never got practice onto P2. I don’t believe Kruul is the toughest, rather I just never learned P2 so I was stuck doing it more often. The challenges themselves are more or less fair. With healer challenge, the middle phases are easy, so you can get practice on final boss. Once boulders start for Agatha that’s the whole rest of the fight. Twins is slowly teaching you to do your role and then puts them all out at once. Same with Sigryn.

Getting bis gear is easy and cheap, consumables not so much.

This is for all 7 challenges. I spent probably around 500,000 gold total. I followed the gear guide on wowhead. I farmed legion gear for all of them, with WoD for weapons (for crusader) or just used heirlooms (shout out to my UH DK for using original taeshalach and hammer of vig cosmetics though). I spent 1-2hrs doing this per character. The actual enchants themselves are not that expensive or have cheap alternatives. They also marginally help at most. It is the consumables that will break your bank. Disc Priest, UH DK, Frost/Fire Mage were on the cheap end. I probably spent 10k per on average, and maybe 5k-10k for consumables for them. Xylem and Kruul really tested my bank the most. However, even after beating them I wasn’t always sure if it was the consumables that made it for me. My final Xylem kill I had no unbridled :skull: and it was a simple positioning fix that gave me extra space to do more dps. With Kruul, I ended up surviving with three orbs to spare. The reality is that I timed my stuff better and played better. My advice? Don’t buy any consumables until you can get to the final stages of the fight. It’s once you realize you can start squeezing in that extra 5% with consumables that they will help you.

I used very little mods. I used weakaura for totem sound cue on Tugar, and I used dbm to track blood of the father on Sigryn.

I did not use any other mods for these challenges in any of them. I did not find them helpful, in fact actually hurting me sometimes. I still encourage everyone to use mods to help them if that’s what it takes, though.

You’re forced to use your entire toolkit, and that’s a good thing. Some challenges need to be buffed, others maybe some minor nerfs. Guardian Kruul isn’t one of them.

Some classes are gonna perform better than others, which is ok so long as the MT is balanced around it. Those who have speed will be penalized for not using it. Those who kite better will be penalized harsher if they’re not kiting. etc. Sometimes you need an attitude adjustment to do these. However, there are still some tunning issues. Unholy Death Knight was harder than Ret Paladin, but Fire Mage was practically a freebie. Yes, I do think this is problematic and do believe some tuning is in order. Fire mage needs a buff (one shotting imps???) and Xylem p1 should be toned down in length. Kruul is tough, but fair.

Utilize your racials. You could have a gem and not know it.

Do not sleep on racials. Lightforged Draenei’s racial gave me a free eye kill in healer challenge. My body’s death gave me an extra 1% squeeze on the final boss. Belf’s arcane torrent gave me more breath of sindragosa, and also bought time to refresh runes. Velf spatial rift gave me a free blink in Twins. I’ve read about using Shadowmeld to survive an annihilate. I read about war stomp to buy time for annihilates. Use all of it.

There was very little to no RNG factor in any of them.

Sigryn’s challenge are scripted on a timer. You’re told about Valkyr’s location and can prepare ahead of time. Xylem you can always position yourself in a way to grip him. P1 is also not on a timer, it’s an endurance test, so even if his blinks are harder for you, it should not penalize you. Tugar’s fel bursts are scripted. You’re always within reach of a totem unless you move too much. If mechanics feel RNGed, it’s because you don’t know them.

There is margin of error for some of them, but you need to know the mechanics.

I got stunned by a totem on Tugar on my winning kill. I screwed up my paladin bubble on healer challenge when I won. But in both cases I knew what was happening and knew I was safe still. If you mess up and don’t know a fel burst is coming, you will die.

Usually there is an ‘aha’ moment that actually made the fight easier. Guides are not entirely helpful, and wow forums was my best source of tips. I also asked the spell tome folks outside the tower for tips and they happily helped me.

For xylem, I struggled with ads p2. Turns out I needed three weapons to min-max. I streamed my fight for a friend, he told me my positioning was wrong. Two simple fixes and I beat it. In healer challenge, realizing you can’t dps much and focus on healing instead, got me the win. With Guardian, it’s surviving annihilates by timing my mitigations. With twins, you need to aoe the middle and try to keep mobs in the middle.

Lastly, this has been an amazingly fun time. Beating a challenge was so invigorating that I haven’t felt this enthralled in years on WoW. The feeling of beating it is the most rewarding experience I ever had in this game. I hope Blizz does more of these challenges in the future. I believe everyone is capable of doing these, but you will need to change your attitude about it.

8 Likes

Technically warforged legion gear was a negative :thinking:

I’m more annoyed theres ilvl restrictions on things like belt buckles :angry: and trinkets like Soul capacitator requiring 49 and below

Fake news. Item level is scaled. Titanforging would make no difference whatsoever.

1 Like

Great write-up. Definitely agree about the fear-mongering. All the “I quit after 200+ wipes on Kruul” posts had me nervous about even attempting it. Finally bit the bullet yesterday and cleared it in just under 30 attempts. Xylem is currently giving me fits, however :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Huh? Respectfully disagree on Tugar…

That’s one of the easiest fights, right up there with Agatha.

Think I got it in like 11 tries on BM Hunter, and spent almost nothing on consumables. 11 tries and only out a few hundred gold for repairs? That’s an “easy” boss in my opinion.

I think Agatha is a little “under”-tuned, that one could probably use a slight buff to be honest. It’s just too easy, barely qualifies as a “challenge”.

1 Like

I agree, Tugar was pretty darn trivial as Destro as well. It was a slog, but the only threatening mechanic was Fel Burst and once my brain stopped short-circuiting on the overlaps where I had neither Death Coil nor Interrupt, it fell over pretty easily.

But maybe it’s hard for Disc, the spec OP did it as.

1 Like

I think I “randomly” got him to like 21-22% on the third pull without even trying PLUS losing my pet to a missed Felburst during my attempts (out of those 11 tries) :laughing:

Didn’t even pop consumables or lust, the boss is just not very complicated at all. Once you memorize the “pattern”, it’s very hard to screw up the fight.

Yeah, progressions pretty easy because once you’ve seen the first underground and aboveground phases, you’ve seen the entire fight.

It’s not like say, Twins or Kruul where you’ve got multiple phases and mechanical overlaps to progress through.

My thoughts on MT:

Don’t nerf it and let the gold keep rolling in.

1 Like

More people need to do this. They may not have sockets, but they are easily accessible ilevel 50 gear that can take old enchantments.

1 Like

This is a great write up, and I agree with pretty much all of it. Especially:

I always knew I’d go for the challenges, and I knew people were going to overreact. However, I went on vacation the first week it was out, so I was bummed hearing so many say it was impossibly tuned and blah, blah. I came back and got to work and ended up enjoying it a lot! I’m no top tier player, but I do enjoy partaking in all of the “challenges” in the game, and I’d love to see us get more like this!

I divided and conquered to get the book while also getting armor sets. There’s definitely a clear difference in difficulty in some of the challenges. Xylem took me the most attempts probably, with the first phase taking so long… And learning the Crusader enchant for p1 for Havoc makes it a lot easier! Lots of little tips out there to make these fights easier about 50 deaths into it lol!

My List:

Kruul - Guardian
Xylem - Havoc
Sigryn - Demo Lock
Twins - Frost Mage
Tugar - Disc Priest
Agatha - Ele Sham
Healer - Hpal

1 Like

No. It just needed the legendaries that worked in Legion to work here. It was a fun dynamic and would’ve brought new players out into Legion to farm wakening essence to buy legendaries (which would be cool.

They could have the timewalking dungeon drop them and increase the rates it dropped, bringing players to the broken isle during the appropriate event).

Even if not all the legendaries work because of pruned abilities.

But alas, no fun allowed.

3 Likes

For me the most important factor was how good(or bad) I was at the spec. I had more problems with fire and arcane mage than on any of my tanks(monk, druid, dk).

1 Like

If you cant beat then profit from them . I LIKE IT !!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

OT i mnot sick of these threads i stopped being sick after 2nd end week ,the day i decided to try it one more time in last week and then move on :slight_smile:

Lol I was selling shadowcore oil and runes for like 1000g each(bought bulk before MT hit). Then I waited for prices to drop to normal before I started attempting (oil was like 20g and runes 230g)

Made like 2 mill in a week.

Yeah this is the key. If you find you’re really angry at MT it’s probably time for self reflection. You are 100% doing something wrong. It could be missing gear, missing macros, missing a weakaura alert. Whatever it is it’s missing and raging isn’t going to find it.

2 Likes

As far as doing all the challenges at lvl 50 i’d say the hardest was Xylem>Twins>Kruul>Healer>Tugar> Sigryn=Agatha. I did them on Sub, Fury, MW, Guardian, BM, Frost mage, Ret. Missing talents for twins and Xylem made the fights significantly harder. Ret and Fury were the only challenges that I thought were straight up trivial while BM had a bit of trial and error with mechanics. Not having access to shadowcore oil may have made the fights quite a bit harder but i’m not entirely sure. I had to deck out my mage and rogue in timewalking gear to be able to beat the fights. My druid I initially decked out but tried again in a more modest gear set and was still able to clear it - though they did nerf the weapon damage scaling on weightstone right after.

Though I imagine there’s some classes that have a far easier time at lvl 50 than what I picked. I just wanted to get all the sets and couldn’t be bothered to level at all.

1 Like

Yup, it’s just taking the “exploit early exploit often” mantra to the AH :slight_smile:

Well there is another important thing there “exploit less” but it doesnt apply here so you go !